Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Armored Warfare-Totally not WoT  (Read 9209 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Armored Warfare-Totally not WoT
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 10:27:53 pm »

Ah, right you are. So it's an extra 50% rep and credit boost for the last two days of the weekend, then.

Also, check out this. Brief summary: T9 vehicles don't unlock normally. Instead, every T8 vehicle has an unlock in its module progression which gives you a token that you can use to unlock any one T9 vehicle under that dealer, usable only once. Got a T8 MBT but want a T9 LT? No problem! Just finished grinding out your T8 AFV and in the mood for a T9 TD? Obsidian's got you covered!

The only restriction is that arty only unlocks arty and nothing else can unlock arty, which seems reasonable enough. The same system is used for lines which skip from T7 to T9.

Pretty cool.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2015, 06:18:07 am »

I'm not sure I like that token system. Being able to switch between classes will just lead to people having no clue how to properly play the vehicle in higher tiers.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 06:08:47 pm »

Why would it?

Or more accurately, why would someone who enjoyed one class so much that they played it exclusively decide to use their one token to unlock a vehicle from a class they don't play, rather than the next one in the line of the class they love, especially knowing that they'd then have to grind all the way up a line they hadn't touched for a second token? Keep in mind that unlike other games there aren't heavy restrictions on how many vehicles you can own: garage slots are unlimited and free, and credit gain stays consistently profitable at all tiers, so there's no real reason to not play everything apart from not liking something.

3. Run Resize Enable

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2015, 04:27:11 am »

"My MBT is always dying to AFVs, so they are OP, I will unlock CRAB to be the best sniper from base ever."
I wished they fixed the game before releasing T9, but you know, "marketing".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2015, 04:38:45 am »

"Premise X is unlikely and unrealistic; here's why."

"Yeah, but what about Premise X?"

That aside, I don't recall not having this system preventing WoT from having potato-tier players in high-tier tanks.

3. Run Resize Enable

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 02:19:06 pm »

You will always have potato players in high tier matches. The question is how many. In WoT they have to fail often enough to get a tier 10 and one can do the same in PvP AW.

The important question is how easy it is to fail your way to a high tier. In AW you can not only fail your way to the high tiers in PvP (and in that process maybe pick up atleast some skills like PvP map knowledge), you also have the option to PvE yourself to the top tiers and then be utterly useless in actual PvP. Or you can use a token gained by grinding a slow, heavily armored MBT line to unlock a high tier AFV and then utterly suck because you don't know a thing about playing AFVs.

And I'm not saying they should remove PvE, I'm actually a fan of it. But I don't like the fact that one can get the high tier vehicles by purely PvEing and then just suck in PvP.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 02:52:48 pm »

It sounds better than pve being entirely useless once prices start scaling up, though. Like, Warships has pretty alright bots, but you can't actually get anywhere fighting them once you get past t3, or past the first tier of carriers. So they really could've gotten away with far less effective bots than they have unless they've got secret plans for them, eventually.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2015, 04:17:21 pm »

Have you played PvE since the last update, Chosrau?

I've not yet seen a team fail Easy matches, but I've lost my share of Mediums to idiots (and also had one where three people suicide-rushed and I in my one-shot arty and another guy in his one-shot MBT cleared the entire map and won). Apart from the predictable spawns and lack of awareness of armor angling I'd say that Medium bots are about as dangerous as your average player. Worse still, if you lose to bots you can't rationalize it as MM being bad at balancing skill.

3. Run Resize Enable

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2015, 04:24:32 pm »

I've not yet seen a team fail Easy matches, but I've lost my share of Mediums to idiots (and also had one where three people suicide-rushed and I in my one-shot arty and another guy in his one-shot MBT cleared the entire map and won). Apart from the predictable spawns and lack of awareness of armor angling I'd say that Medium bots are about as dangerous as your average player. Worse still, if you lose to bots you can't rationalize it as MM being bad at balancing skill.
You can rationalize it as bots having unrealistic aim, seeing through walls, spotting you from whole map away, etc. Seriously, if you want to rationalize something, you totally will, no matter how stupid that is.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2015, 04:33:40 pm »

That's the thing, though. Bots don't shoot through concealment, and they stop looking at you if they lose spotting. You can pop out, shoot, hide, and repeat that six times. Even a pretty bad player would catch on, but bots never do.

Of course, average players in bot games are potatoes looking for their dailies. There's a bare handful of people who play beyond that, and they're usually quite good.

3. Run Resize Enable

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2015, 07:16:36 pm »

tried this. compared to wot, game seems to be way less designed to be only enjoyable with premium. ammo and repair costs are much more reasonable.
arty indeed seems different then in wot. some here said less annoying, but i think its at least as shit as in wot.
whenever there is arty on the enemy team (ie: whenever i play a tier4 game or higehr) i die directly or indirectly to ary.
same penomenon as in wot. the higer the tier gets, the less fun i have. difference here is, the shit starts with much lower tier, as even the lowest tier arty already seems tho pen every time and is almost impossible to dodge in anything thats not very light and agile.

so yeah... bottom line is, same shit, different name, less associal in terms or premium. not a bad game, but gameplay whise proably to simmilar to make many players switch from wot to aw (and leave behind all the money and time they sunk into wot)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:20:51 pm by motorbitch »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2015, 08:50:00 pm »

Do you not see the arty warning pop up? Granted, sometimes they've got a good angle and you can't dodge the first shell, but after that it's easy to avoid fire.

Also, a general tip that helps with avoiding followup arty fire as well: As long as the "spotted" icon is on screen, you're still visible, even if it's dim. The best way to reset your visibility is, after being spotted:

1. Get back into cover.
2. Stop moving.
3. Start moving again, staying in cover.
4. Stop again.

It doesn't have to be far, just a meter or two after the first stop will usually ensure that the second stop resets it. It won't reset while you're moving unless you drive a very long way without being spotted again.

3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2015, 01:30:16 am »

Ive started playing this, and although it is fun, I still prefer WT ground.

Now, if only WT had more autocannon armed vehicles... Theres only so much time you can play SPAA as a tank before you go insane...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2015, 11:27:42 am »

thanks, that stop and move again to shake of spots certainly helps.

still, im playing tier4 games now, and as there are always 2 arties per side, the game totally changed.
and not for the better. at least at this point, arty is even more toxic to my game expirence then in wot. by a magnitude.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »

My point was that the kind of skill you pick up doesn't necessarily make you better in PvP. Enemies in PvE have mostly worse armor values then their PvP counterparts and utterly suck at using it. Even on hard most enemies just stop moving or actually start spinning on a spot unless they have a cap circle they want to slowly drive into (and present their sides to everyone they drive past on the way there). Due to this you only very rarely need actual weakspot knowledge. The most important skill to pick up in PvE is knowing where and when enemies spawns, and once you got that you will rarely have problems anymore. Doesn't make you any good in PvP though.

still, im playing tier4 games now, and as there are always 2 arties per side, the game totally changed.
and not for the better. at least at this point, arty is even more toxic to my game expirence then in wot. by a magnitude.

I don't see how it can come even close to WoT toxicity levels. You get a warning, you don't get oneshoted, module damage seems way lower to me, there is no XVM so you don't get focused just because you're purple and many arty players just go four counterarty instead of shooting at tanks.

So far I can't remember having had single game where artillery was the top damage dealer and not once did I have the thought of "this could have been a nice game, if it wasn't for arty."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5