Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35

Author Topic: Mission 24: By the pricking of my thumbs...  (Read 61524 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Mission 24: Demon In the Freezer
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2015, 05:11:16 pm »

- Say, you've been through a lot in service, or so the files say. Do you think this ARM thing gonna work out? Really help out folks on the Outer Rim, at least? Heph seems alright, considering what it's been through - this hell of a party made it to the news all the way to where I come from.
: The truth is, I don't know. I won't lie to you. Things are hard and they are only going to get harder. For all we know, all that will be left of us will be some irradiated craters and a footnote in history. :

: But I'll tell you what I know. I trust Steve. I trust him to fight well and do the right thing for humanity. And I know that there are many good people working for him. People who want to do what is right and help others. As long as there are those sorts of people working for ARM, I know that there is hope that things will get better. :

: If you want to ensure that that hope stays alive, if you want to have better chances for a batter future, a better future for your world and the worlds of others, then you only need to stay and fight for the greater good. The concerns of every member of our organisation are considered. Every member of our organisation can contribute where they are needed and where they would be most useful. Every member of our organisation has a fair chance to advance and be given more power, more control over our future. So if you want an answer to your question, then it is this: I think this thing will work. That we will help the outer rim and all the other worlds. That our victory is assured. But only if you do your best. Only if all of us do our best. :

Good speech. Even if you don't believe it 100% percent.
Well, I didn't spend all those years making propaganda vids for nothing.
I've got to keep hope alive and convince others to be good. It's the only way to make things better.

@Christopher "Union Leader, when do you think is a good time to bust out Sullen Moon?  Should we test it on the mission or wait until we return to the ship?"
: If you want to test something, then do it the hell away from here. I disagree with you testing irrelevant things during the mission, but there's not much I can do about it. Wait, correction: We have an important mission to complete and I want to focus on it, not you. But if you endanger the mission or your teammates in any way with that thing, I will deal with it. And you. Possibly in a way you do not like, depending on circumstances. :

((Also, you might want to add that this map is merely an inventory item to help give you IC knowledge of the facility and how to her from A to B and not an actual map drawn by piecewise. Because a request for an actual map is unlikely to be fulfilled.))

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2015, 05:15:50 pm »

So the whole plan is basically not die? That's comforting.
follow

Nunzillor

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2015, 05:21:43 pm »

((Okay, I'll add that.))

Eddie listened silently and intently to Flint's speech.  It was clear that Flint believed that good people were working for a good cause, but Eddie had no way of knowing whether that was true.  Most of the people he had met seemed like quality individuals, but people, even good people, could be tricked, made to fight for falsehoods.  He would have to continue investigating and decide for himself, he thought.  This was not something to decide on a whim.

"I understand your concerns and your... many guns.  I'll wait until we've returned to the ship to assist in any testing."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:51:05 pm by Nunzillor »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2015, 05:29:57 pm »

-speech-

Vladimir listens out what Flint had to say. If one could go through his ahead while he does that, he could notice that he gave not much attention to the last part, but was much more satisfied with the first two. He felt that they were coming from the man himself, when the last part was disturbingly similar in wording to what filthy rich corporative PR officers were giving to factory workers who wore themselves out to die of old age at 50 to feed their families back home to keep them that way.

- Thank you, Mr. Westwood. I hear you very well.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:36:00 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2015, 11:20:21 pm »

Fiddle with suit computer: Pull up temperature sensors, both internal and external. Try to set up a graph of them over time in the corner of my HUD. Also try to make the wristpad's mapping software take input from temperature sensors, to make a temperature map of the facility. See if I can open the map up for everyone else on the team to use. Ask for help if I can't figure everything out.

"Does anybody have something that could see through the hatch? Or through the dirt around it? Some sort of seismic sensor maybe?"

Follow along with the procession that seems to be preparing to enter the hatch. Stick with Eddie, preferably.

Ask AreSteve: "Hey AreSteve, could you tell us more about what was done to seal in the anomaly? Was the entire facility, or at least some section of it, dropped to vacuum pressure? Do you have data on the temperature gradients, particularly regarding changes over time?"

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2015, 05:10:24 am »

Quietly follow.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2015, 05:23:47 am »

Having nothing to say right now, follow the group along. Stick almost, but not quite, at the back. Employ standard 'fuck this shit I'm out' strategy if random eldritch shit starts happening.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:25:03 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2015, 10:23:08 am »

@Aresteve: "These cold spikes, would it be possible to get a delivery of them and work out handling on site?
anything that can possibly harm the thermophage is worth the risk in my opinion."

"also would it be possible to get a few more cooling supplies? our supply is woefully small for an undertaking such as this."

Attempt to procure more supplies from aresteve, take shuttle if required.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:42:04 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2015, 02:34:28 pm »

Follow the group, stay as far back as I can on the line.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2015, 09:09:34 am »

Stand guard at the hatch until the others have all gone down, then walk down the wall to join them.

Follow the team leader, who I assume is Flint.
Stay near the front and remain alert. Ask Whig if she has any ideas on how to deal with our target. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2015, 07:56:17 pm »

Auriel, remaining silent for now, decides to remain near the back of the group, following them down the hatch if necessary.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2015, 07:17:10 am »

Yancy stands at the perimeter awaiting orders.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2015, 10:12:20 am »

Scan doors. Force doors open if nothing interesting is seen. Then continue going down towards the facility, scanning with cam eyes and indigo hydra.

Edit: Talk to Aresteve:
:Do you have any contact with any of the systems down there? Sensors, cameras, anything? If not, any way we could reactivate them?:

: Were there any humans caught in the cold? Do you think we could find any of them intact enough to revive? Perhaps preserved by the cold? :

Edit2: Oh, crap, I just noticed I forgot to re-purchase the HGC grav-shell I used against the AoP. Can I assume I bought one while on ship?
sure, wiki it.

>I have connections with most things.  It's pretty much a foam of frozen nitrogen and oxygen down there so I'm pretty sure the main lights won't function because the interior gases are frozen too. I think the emergency LED strips would probably still run, so I'll turn those on. But the doors will probably be jammed, either by ice or by freezing of pneumatic fluid.

There might be a few, but I believe it was almost entirely evacuated. If you find them, just geotag them and move on. We'll pick them up later.

You tear open the hatch and lead the rest of the team down into the facility, following instructions about where to go.

Vladimir gets out of Big Guy's way when he opens the hatch, and follows him into the tunnel, staying rather close.
Monitor temperature on suit's screen. Start timer upon entering tunnels, also attempt to put up internal suit temperature on the screen.

- Just so you know, Mr. Westwood, I'm tagging along. Don't stomp me or something, 'kay?
You set up your various monitoring systems. The temp outside is already below freezing, and it starts dropping rapidly as soon as you head inside.

"Yeah he does sound green, and it's the damnedest thing.  I can't really explain what that means.  But thanks for the info, maybe I'll try talking to him more later about his... our, I guess, plan for a replacement government.  I'm not convinced it's really needed, to be honest."

"As for Aresteve, I think I have a few questions for him..."

Ask Aresteve: can we please have a map of the local area ((for IC knowledge))?  Is there anything potentially useful or dangerous stored in the facility, besides the anomaly?  What do you think about the rebellion?

@Christopher "Union Leader, when do you think is a good time to bust out Sullen Moon?  Should we test it on the mission or wait until we return to the ship?"

Follow somewhere in the middle of the group.  Give the vanguard and Christopher plenty of space.  Grab some aster-ex, if there's any left.
For IC knowledge, yes.
>Depends on your definition of the word. Obviously the entire area is both dangerous and useful.

I am whole heartedly in favor of it, but I was created to think that, so perhaps I am not the best one to ask.

We'll assume you get some, if there's some to get.

Grab a chem thrower and liquid helium tank. Walk in with the vanguard as well, ready to ice anything not us.

Also, try to monitor suit's internal temperatures and get comfy.

Similar, if it's there to get, you get it.  Wiki gnomes will have to sort this out.

Stick to Flint like an underarmored pimple on his  armored metallic ass. Check ambient temperature every so often on a regular basis. Get a map of the facilities from Aresteve, if possible. Use it to help guide us. 

EDIT: Return the grenade launcher to team hammer-space. We'll work out the distribution of them in a bit

((EDIT: Just a heads up, but, if you test another unknown artifact near another one of my characters, they will have a sudden and irrepressible urge to laser off your arms. Please do all artifact testing in the testing room on ship. Or your own room.))
Returned. Butt sticking. Map gotten.

So the whole plan is basically not die? That's comforting.
follow
Following.

Having nothing to say right now, follow the group along. Stick almost, but not quite, at the back. Employ standard 'fuck this shit I'm out' strategy if random eldritch shit starts happening.
Following in specific almost rearguard position. To Guard your rear.

Quietly follow.
You follow as well.

Fiddle with suit computer: Pull up temperature sensors, both internal and external. Try to set up a graph of them over time in the corner of my HUD. Also try to make the wristpad's mapping software take input from temperature sensors, to make a temperature map of the facility. See if I can open the map up for everyone else on the team to use. Ask for help if I can't figure everything out.

"Does anybody have something that could see through the hatch? Or through the dirt around it? Some sort of seismic sensor maybe?"

Follow along with the procession that seems to be preparing to enter the hatch. Stick with Eddie, preferably.

Ask AreSteve: "Hey AreSteve, could you tell us more about what was done to seal in the anomaly? Was the entire facility, or at least some section of it, dropped to vacuum pressure? Do you have data on the temperature gradients, particularly regarding changes over time?"
You do the same thing that several others have done.

>The entire area was dropped to fractionally above absolute zero temperatures. There's been no change in temp that isn't explained by normal processes since then.

Quietly follow.
Following Quietly

Yancy stands at the perimeter awaiting orders.
Auriel, remaining silent for now, decides to remain near the back of the group, following them down the hatch if necessary.
Follow the group, stay as far back as I can on the line.
Stand guard at the hatch until the others have all gone down, then walk down the wall to join them.

Follow the team leader, who I assume is Flint.
Stay near the front and remain alert. Ask Whig if she has any ideas on how to deal with our target. 

These are pretty much all varying ways of following along, so we'll do that.

@Aresteve: "These cold spikes, would it be possible to get a delivery of them and work out handling on site?
anything that can possibly harm the thermophage is worth the risk in my opinion."

"also would it be possible to get a few more cooling supplies? our supply is woefully small for an undertaking such as this."

Attempt to procure more supplies from aresteve, take shuttle if required.

We can fly some out there.

Ok so long story short, you guys would eventually, after a bit of wandering and side tracking your way down into the facility, take an elevator down toward the effected area. You'd make it about halfway there before the elevator gets jammed up with ice and refuses to descend any more. Aresteve can open the door to the nearest level above you and let you go from there, so we'll assume thats what he does. In that level you start with a large open room that appears to have been used for automated fabrication: conveyor belts, robotic arms, a whole assembly line setup. Though it's all frosted over at this point and completely still.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2015, 10:26:47 am »

Request directions to the area below from Aresteve, stick to the group. Check up on Gauss Rifle - it is out in the unbelievable cold, see if it's still functional (if there is a way of finding out without shooting it)?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2015, 10:36:32 am »

Same. Check up on condition of Sibilius-not that I expect to do much shooting this mission, better to know it WILL shoot. Also check ammo, I didn't remember to refill completely after M22(can I actually retro-buy a new full clip for that if I need to?)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35