Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: Mission 24: By the pricking of my thumbs...  (Read 61483 times)

Nunzillor

Re: Mission 24: Demon In the Freezer
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2015, 01:49:06 pm »

Private channel to Root:
"I watched a couple of mission tapes before I left, so I think that guy's name is Auron.  He seems to be something of a maverick from what I've seen so far in the tapes, which could become a problem.  He is senior, however, and reasonably competent.  I just hope we get buy-in on this system from the others."

((Edited due to your edit))
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:09:11 pm by Nunzillor »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2015, 01:49:20 pm »

- If you people are done chatting, some of you suggested, and reasonably so, to secure the damn perimeter around landing site, and all I can see most you doing from here is quarrelling over authority. Why don't you do that over radio while actually performing something?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:18:02 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2015, 02:04:53 pm »

- If you people are done chatting, some of you suggested, and reasonably so, to secure the damn perimeter around landing site, and all I can see you doing from here is quarrelling over authority. Why don't you do that over radio while actually performing something?
((crud I totally forgot to post my "walk a big circle around the hatch and shuttle" action. Thanks!))
Retroactively have been walking a big circle around the hatch and shuttle this whole time
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:51:05 am by Moopli »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2015, 04:24:00 pm »

Action edited, Xanessa's just sticking by the shuttle.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2015, 04:38:48 pm »

Robert keeps his mouth shut.  He's no idea what is going on, is as green as can be, and will probably end up as cannon fodder for the horrible monster they sent the HMRC ARM down here to deal with.

Try not to get in the way or fuck up.  Try taking a sample of the grey vegetation.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2015, 07:13:28 pm »

"I gather you're Flint? The 8-mission veteran? Good. You'll organize and lead the excursion teams I imagine?"

"You might have noticed -- I've already started making various plans, as I'm a cautious organizer at heart, and several people seem interested in working by my plans, so could I run my plans by you? I think they could definitely use an experienced critical eye."

Quote from: Root to M24 team
Right everyone, before we go get ourselves killed we need a hierarchy of command. Half our team is wet behind the years, we need a structure. We need someone in overall command, someone in charge of excursions into the anomaly, someone in charge of containment, and we can probably delegate sub-organization into scout teams and containment teams to them. I nominate Flint for overall lead, and myself, provisionally, for a containment lead.

Flint because he has 8 missions of experience and has already taken the lead, and me cuz I have a plan.

Thoughts? Nominations? Concerns?
((I appreciate your effort, but unfortunately Flint does not.))

"Nah. There's no point in wasting time coming up with plans. We don't know anything about what's going on in there. Any plans we make are likely to be completely wrong. Best we can do is get whatever info we can from Aresteve and then get in there and find out what's going on. When we have enough information, then we can come up with a plan. Until then, we follow the patented HMRC tactic of 'wing it'."

"Same with teams. No reason to waste time organizing teams for specific purposes when we don't know what kind of teams we'll need or whether or not there's any point in splitting up. That, of course, doesn't mean we have to bunch up into one juicy target. Nor does it mean that you shouldn't find and stick with a person or group of people that you think will help you, support you and keep an eye on you."

"And there's no reason to ask for my permission for everything. Just try to run the important things through me or some other people who have some common sense and an idea about what's going on, like Aresteve. I'm not here to micromanage you, to order you around. I'm here to help, same as you."

"If I see you doing something really ill-advised, I'll warn you or even stop you if you are being really stupid. If you have a problem, I'll try to help you with it. If you have a question, I'll answer it as best I can. If someone is being a dick to the others, I'll help take care of the tension. But don't expect me to babysit you the entire mission. If we needed a bunch of mindless drones obeying my every word Steve would had sent a group of sods down here. You're here because you're supposed to have something more. So let's go prove that assumption right."

Anthony finally seems to stir from his stasis induced catatonia. "Aaand we're here. Alright then, so this is the infamous forge world? Seems kinda...meh. Eh, whatever. So, Flint. Famous actor and it looks like the de facto leader for this mission. Mind if I stick close to you? I uh...I'm not one of those smart people, most of my life experiences are shooting stuff and getting into fights. Oh, and I might snag one of those 'nade launchers if that's alright."
"Yeah, you got that right! The first part, at least. That's me allright! I like you already lad. Grab what you need and stick behind my giant metal ass. Keep your eyes open and don't be too trigger happy and you'll be fine. Oh, but don't stick too close to me. We don't want an attack to take out along with me. Or for people to misunderstand us. Eh?"
Flint felt the urge to punctuate the joke with an elbow jab, but reconsidered. Wouldn't be much fun to start the mission with friendly fire.

"How are we going to collect samples without touching the thingies? Are we handing out tongs or forceps?"
"Three ways, off the top of my head:

First method: use your head. If you did not think to pack some rope or tongs or something else and you can't get Aresteve to airdrop you some, you can always come up with another way to put things in containers. Simplest method being to use the lid of the container to scoot the artefact in it. Just like putting a spider in a cup, if you've ever done that. But make sure to not do that with something that looks
too weird, unless you have no other choice. Or you like unnecessarily risking your life and the life of your teammates for science. And for anyone who did not get it, that final bit was sarcasm. When in doubt, ask a teammate.

Second method: use a forcefield. Just bring the forcefield projector close to the artefact and then press activate. The resulting forcefield will not be made out of any physical material and will float some distance away from the projector, precluding all chemical and most thermal and many magical reactions. Only problem is that they tend to explode when the field receives excessive damage or the projector is damaged in any way. And they can't be deactivated once activated. So don't go crazy with them, we only have so many. And make sure to keep the projector away from your head. Like I said, those things explode, and Handybot over there can replace arms better than she can replace brains.

Third method: use your head. If you have a telekinetic amp or a drone or some other method of handling the artefact without touching it, you can use that or get a teammate who can do that to help you. But only use amps when doing anything else seems like a bad idea. They can backfire horribly, they can suffer interference from space magic (although that's not very common), their use can be tracked by some xenos and even if you succeed, you end up tiring yourself, making future successes more difficult.

Once again, when in doubt, ask a teammate. Even when you're not in doubt, tell a teammate anyway. Get a buddy and get him to stick with you. Two minds are better than one. Especially when something is hunting you or trying to mind control you."

"...Just what is it we're looking for, again? A rogue machine of some sort, correct? I can't say I was paying a great deal of attention."
"Some creature entered this world and started eating heat. Then they froze it and starved it. Then it stopped eating heat or at least stopped expanding. That's all we know until Aresteve gets back on us."

"We're here to explore the area and secure it if possible. You know, the standard. Get in, check things out, steal all the shinies and kill or capture anything hostile. We ain't stopping 'till we're certain things are relatively safe in there or at least all the dangers present are known. And as you can imagine, that will probably involve a boss battle with whatever extra-dimensional horror that creature the eggheads unleashed is and various horrible artefacts that can double as traps."

"Screaming 'What has science done?!?!' and ice puns optional, but appreciated."

@Flint: "With your permission, I'd like to grab a chem thrower and a helium tank, unless you'd rather I do something else.
"Whatever you want. I'm not your mother, you don't have to ask my permission for everything. I trust you are capable enough to divide the equipment amongst yourselves. If you are not, then I'll help. If you have a complaint about someone taking equipment, I'll listen to what you have to say and take care of that if necessary."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:24:12 pm by Parisbre56 »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 07:18:49 pm »

((Posting.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 07:20:16 pm »

((Moved action here so it won't be missed.))

Talk to Aresteve: "Hey Aresteve! Long time no see. How have you been doing all those years? Are you well? Did you enjoy the mural I left you in your underground chamber corridor thing?"

Talk to Aresteve: "Can you give us a quick summary on all important info you have on the anomaly? Nothing fancy, even a sentence will do.
Is it growing? Stable?
What was the terrain around it like? Hills? Mountains? Forests?
What does the facility it was in like? Where and how far is it?
Was there anything important around it like explosives or generators?
I realise that the area might have been changed by whatever happened there, but whatever info you have helps."

Talk to Aresteve: "Do you know if you'll be able to contact us once you're down there? If not, is there any comms station or junction box down there we could reactivate to restore comms and sensors or camera feeds, assuming they still function?
And if needed, how quickly can you airdrop us some equipment, assuming you have it on hand?"

Get a tank of liquid helium for the chem-thrower and artefact containers, most of the big ones and few of the small ones, both the forcefield kind and the regular kind. Edit: If Auron prevents me from grabbing my equipment and he can't just be shoved aside, grab the entire shuttle and start shaking it with the door pointed down until the equipment I want falls out. Robo-might makes right.

Move away from the shuttle while carefully scanning the area with cam-eyes, normal vision and watching the Indigo Hydra heads, in case they point at anything interesting.
How far are we from the border of the anomaly?
Can we see anything interesting on the horizon?
How cold is everything? Winter cold, Pluto cold, Ice-9 cold?

If nothing of interest is found, return to the entrance and if it looks safe, start slowly going down, just a few steps to see what's in there.
Or just prepare to go down if it's too much to do in one turn.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:03:21 am by Parisbre56 »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2015, 07:44:06 pm »

"Try giving me orders again newbie, I dare you."

"We dont have any information on the capabilities of what we are facing, our current coolant supply is woefully inadequate, the fact someone brought a nuke to use against a thermophage boggles the fucking mind, and we are all pumping heat out of our various suits and machinery like its going out of fashion."

"What were gonna do is wait for Aresteve to give us the intel we asked for, we are gonna see if theres some fancy new toy that will make increase our odds, and we are gonna proceed in a calm and logical manner once we figure out how to make ourselves as unappetizing as possible."

"we dont need some wet behind the ears rookie serving half the team up to this thing on a silver platter, especially not when weve only got 4 liquid helium weapons between the 15 of us."

"You haven't even paid attention to what I'm saying. I'm telling people not to run in like idiots. NOT TO. FUCK. You don't need some rookie telling you not to go kill yourself, good for you. I don't know you're a vet until you say so, and rookie I may be, I'll continue to be vocal about telling people not to be idiots."

"If you actually listened to what I was saying, you'd say that the rookie you're castigating has already taken every fuckin' word out of your mouth. Fuck you, you don't want that, you just want to swing your dick. Well okay, you can be the boss, we've got the same plan anyway but you seem to only care that you're in charge."

((@U_P: Nothing against you, I'm guessing that's just how auron is?))
"We've been here all of two minutes,  we haven't recieved any intel from Aresteve, and we dont have enough weapons to go around.
considering all this you are preaching that we split our forces and send scouting teams into the anomaly zone completely blind where there is every possiility and a great likelyood they'll stumble into thstings range and die without a word.

so no, we arent preaching the same fucking thing.
and for the record I couldnt give to shits about being in charge, you just arent one of the three people on this mission id even consider taking orders from.

and one more thing, Flint and his battlesuit wont stop me crushing your head like a melon if you give me that attitude again. reign your tongue in if you know whats good for you."
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2015, 07:49:18 pm »

"Try giving me orders again newbie, I dare you."

"We dont have any information on the capabilities of what we are facing, our current coolant supply is woefully inadequate, the fact someone brought a nuke to use against a thermophage boggles the fucking mind, and we are all pumping heat out of our various suits and machinery like its going out of fashion."

"What were gonna do is wait for Aresteve to give us the intel we asked for, we are gonna see if theres some fancy new toy that will make increase our odds, and we are gonna proceed in a calm and logical manner once we figure out how to make ourselves as unappetizing as possible."

"we dont need some wet behind the ears rookie serving half the team up to this thing on a silver platter, especially not when weve only got 4 liquid helium weapons between the 15 of us."

"You haven't even paid attention to what I'm saying. I'm telling people not to run in like idiots. NOT TO. FUCK. You don't need some rookie telling you not to go kill yourself, good for you. I don't know you're a vet until you say so, and rookie I may be, I'll continue to be vocal about telling people not to be idiots."

"If you actually listened to what I was saying, you'd say that the rookie you're castigating has already taken every fuckin' word out of your mouth. Fuck you, you don't want that, you just want to swing your dick. Well okay, you can be the boss, we've got the same plan anyway but you seem to only care that you're in charge."

((@U_P: Nothing against you, I'm guessing that's just how auron is?))
"We've been here all of two minutes,  we haven't recieved any intel from Aresteve, and we dont have enough weapons to go around.
considering all this you are preaching that we split our forces and send scouting teams into the anomaly zone completely blind where there is every possiility and a great likelyood they'll stumble into thstings range and die without a word.

so no, we arent preaching the same fucking thing.
and for the record I couldnt give to shits about being in charge, you just arent one of the three people on this mission id even consider taking orders from.

and one more thing, Flint and his battlesuit wont stop me crushing your head like a melon if you give me that attitude again. reign your tongue in if you know whats good for you."

"Nah, chill, don't mind Auron."
"He's just jealous because I have a bigger robot with a better paint job." he added his joke with a half-laugh and a fake whisper voice while hiding the point where the battlesuit's mouth would be with the Rainbow Cannon.
"I'm sure he'll keep things cool."

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2015, 08:40:42 pm »

Finish my stroll, stand near Flint to listen to what he says.

To Flint: "That's pretty much how much organization I was expecting. You put it better than me."

To Eddie and Yancy: "What say we stick together? Grab another person or two, we can get the nuke set up, if it still seems like a good idea once we learn more. ...If I'm still alive by then..."

To Eddie: "...If not, you can have my stuff."

To Auron: Raise an eyebrow, unimpressed, not that he would notice or give two shits. "My plans are all conditional. If I were actually cocky enough to give direct orders, I would be ordering people not to do anything stupid until AreSteve responds to Flint. But I'm not, I'm just a rookie, anybody can go do what they want, and you, asshole, you can go fuck yourse--" (get cut off by Flint's mediation)

To Flint, accidentally over global comms: "Too late, the guy's a dick and I've lived long enough, if I die, no regrets. Seriously, what kind of testicle screams at a quiet, old man who's just giving people some common-sense warnings?"
Mutter to self: "I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this..."
Feel afraid

((oh those charisma penalties. Don't hate me if there ends up being some PvP, the way I see it Auron's attitude is more dangerous than Root's, and killing a promising rookie in anger might get him some forced psychiatric attention. Team first!))
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:48:34 am by Moopli »

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2015, 08:46:50 pm »

SO does any one have any tips on how not to die?
get several small artifact containers

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2015, 08:54:17 pm »

SO does any one have any tips on how not to die?
get several small artifact containers
"Avoid Auron, don't touch anything suspicious, wait until AreSteve tells us shit before going in, don't be alone. There's more but I'm busy here, sorry~"

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2015, 10:26:24 pm »

-
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:21:16 pm by Wolfkit »
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2015, 10:44:32 pm »

"So who exactly is in charge here, and how do you want us to move?"
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35