Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35

Author Topic: Mission 24: By the pricking of my thumbs...  (Read 61433 times)

Nunzillor

Re: Mission 24: Demon In the Freezer
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 12:56:10 pm »

"Union people! CSU people! Come look what we got! Let's work out what to do with it, shall we? First, I suggest we veeery carefully put two of these green things together... be careful now, this thing probably came from space..."
"That's wonderful,  sir.  I'm sure that once we've obtained a few of these artifacts and have found a safe way to use and share them,  union recruitment will increase.  I must caution,  however,  against testing Sullen Moon here in the shuttle, in such a crowded environment.  There is potential for great tragedy."

"I'd like to assist in perimeter work."

Does Eddie have enough scrap to create some sort of metal riot shield?  If so,  what kind of damage would the riot shield reliably protect against?

Also contact the green voice Eddie heard:

"Are you this 'computer' I've heard about?  That's truly remarkable!  You must be the key to this organization's strategy against the government.  Do you have a name?  In any case, can you please tell me a little more about this tunnel?  Where does it go, are there branching paths and if so where do they lead, etc?  Could you perhaps even provide a map?"
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:43:43 am by Nunzillor »

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 01:39:48 pm »

"Shoot things, operate bombs, and program a bit too. I'll handle the contingency nuke, since it was my idea." He pause for a second. "Hey, since you're the one who decided to bother with organizing stuff, I say you should be ground leader."
"Hrm. Ideally we'd modify the nuke to provide a directed pulse. For that, we'd need, oh, I dunno, a 20cm-thick layer of lead covering the nuke, leave a hole for where the pulse comes out, fill the hole with a big beryllium-hydride plug, and re-shape the nuke's charge to boot. Think we can get a team together to handle that, maybe with some of the engineers on-planet already? Maybe you can look into that when we land, it would be much better for everyone involved if the nuke could focus a blast. If we can't do that, we'll have to be a lot more creative with nuke placement."

"That's wonderful,  sir.  I'm sure that once we've obtained a few of these artifacts and have found a safe way to use and share them,  union recruitment will increase.  I must caution,  however,  against testing Sullen Moon here in the shuttle, in such a crowded environment.  There is potential for great tragedy."

"I'd like to assist in perimeter work."

"I might be willing to join the union, if I know a bit more about what that entails. Solidarity and all that. Sure, you can be on perimeter duty too. Everyone could start on perimeter duty, but we will need people doing the actual investigative work."

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 03:55:04 pm »

((I'm here!))

Kai joins the others, with his chem thrower and extra arm.

Union? What's this about a union? ((I think this is the first time Kai has heard about the Union IC.))
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 04:00:13 pm »

"Blessings on you all!" Ramses Apophis Memphis-Set looks around at his fellow teammates.

"I will face down this false god that lurks within." Ramses eyes one of the spare chem throwers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:02:17 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 04:17:43 pm »

@Vanessa: "Handy! You're on nuke duty. Keep it safe. Don't mess with it, don't let anyone else mess with it. Unless we find something worth using it on. Or things get sufficiently fucked."

@Everyone else: "Do anything stupid in there and I'll fly away and leave the shuttle to explode or whatever you cause to happen. If you want to have a chance of me saving your butts with my shiny metal butt, I suggest you wait until we land."

Talk to Steve:"Steve. First, get us down there, safely outside of the edge of the anomaly. Preferably close to the entrance to the underground network leading to the facility that caused this destruction that I assume is underground."

((Moved further in the page.))
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:16:28 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 04:37:35 pm »

((Crosspostin' for convenience.))

ALRIGHT, EVERYONE ON THE 24th MISSION IS NOW OFFICIALLY ON MISSION.

Hmm. Not sure how to insert you guys though. Whats the plan miya? We just landing on a normal landing pad and then heading, talking to the peeps and then down to the deep freeze? Or were you planning a more direct assault? Either works for me
'Oh god this whole thing just won't leave me alone. I have stuff to do dangit!

Drop them off at the edge of the containment (not anomalous) zone with normal shuttle. Somewhere close to an underground entrance i(f they'll need one) if possible. Have shuttles approach from a good bit away then fly in low to the drop zone, in case of AA shenanigans somehow. From there they can choose to move in or do other stuff first or whatever.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 06:26:53 pm »

I wonder if he knows I'm barred from access to nukes. Not that I'm going to inform him, of course.

"By your orders, Flint."

Take possession of nuke. Nothing more calming than the thought of Xan with access to nuclear weaponry.

For actual actions, just chill by the shuttle for now. Try to remember if this is any part of Heph I've been to before.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:23:27 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 06:41:47 pm »

I've updated the OP.

Consider the ship landed and opened. Out the hatch in front of you is literally a large expanse of dead soil with a metal hatch sticking out of it. There's a thin layer of frost on the ground, as well as some very gray, very dead plants.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 06:47:03 pm »

@Steve/Aresteve: "What do we know about the thermophage and its abilities? What is its range? can it eat heat through perfect insulators?

do we have any reference material on similar heat eating entities that could prove useful?

Has your artifact research turned up anything potentially useful against this thing?"

Take control and possesion of the two grenade launchers and chem throwers i requisitioned.
Prevent anyone from running off with them just because they want them, they will be distributed once our plan of attack has been established.

Check to see if I can wirelessly connect to the shuttles flight computer using my Man Machine Interface implant.
if I can connect to it then set up the ability to control it remotely, but dont take control of it yet.

((Do we have any possibility of getting coldspikes for this mission? or any other forms of assistance from hephaustus personnel, be it intel or extra cooling apparatus?))
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:09:08 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 06:55:23 pm »

So. This is what Hephaestus looks like.

((Can I safely assume that I've been given my 250L of liquid Helium?))
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:57:38 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 07:04:54 pm »

((Edited previous post.))

"Okay guys, two things.

First thing: Don't be an asshole to your teammates. Help them. Talk to them about what you're doing. Work together. Or if you can't do that, then at least try not to harm them or obstruct them.

Second thing: Don't touch things that don't seem safe, don't eat things that don't seem safe, don't 'split up gang!' and go exploring alone, generally don't try to do anything that doesn't seem safe, unless you feel you really really
really have to for some reason. It's not only your life on the line, but the life of others. Everything here can kill you. You can test out your sample gathering methods by carefully testing the plants and earth and then taking a sample of it. Once again, if you find something that might be cool or if you are unsure about doing something, talk to your teammates.

That is all. Now let's go get our planet back!"

I've always wanted to say that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:33:14 pm by Parisbre56 »

Nunzillor

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 07:32:39 pm »

"I look forward to working with you all.  I hope we can all accomplish the mission and get out of this safely.  No heroes."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:16:30 am by Nunzillor »

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 07:47:25 pm »

"Okay guys, two things.

First thing: Don't be an asshole to your teammates. Help them. Talk to them about what you're doing. Work together. Or if you can't do that, then at least try not to harm them or obstruct them.

Second thing: Don't touch things that don't seem safe, don't eat things that don't seem safe, don't 'split up gang!' and go exploring alone, generally don't try to do anything that doesn't seem safe, unless you feel you really really
really have to for some reason. It's not only your life on the line, but the life of others. Everything here can kill you. You can test out your sample gathering methods by carefully testing the plants and earth and then taking a sample of it. Once again, if you find something that might be cool or if you are unsure about doing something, talk to your teammates.

That is all. Now let's get our planet back!"
I've always wanted to say that.

"I gather you're Flint? The 8-mission veteran? Good. You'll organize and lead the excursion teams I imagine?"

"You might have noticed -- I've already started making various plans, as I'm a cautious organizer at heart, and several people seem interested in working by my plans, so could I run my plans by you? I think they could definitely use an experienced critical eye."

Quote from: Root to M24 team
Right everyone, before we go get ourselves killed we need a hierarchy of command. Half our team is wet behind the years, we need a structure. We need someone in overall command, someone in charge of excursions into the anomaly, someone in charge of containment, and we can probably delegate sub-organization into scout teams and containment teams to them. I nominate Flint for overall lead, and myself, provisionally, for a containment lead.

Flint because he has 8 missions of experience and has already taken the lead, and me cuz I have a plan.

Thoughts? Nominations? Concerns?

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 08:38:22 pm »

Anthony finally seems to stir from his stasis induced catatonia. "Aaand we're here. Alright then, so this is the infamous forge world? Seems kinda...meh. Eh, whatever. So, Flint. Famous actor and it looks like the de facto leader for this mission. Mind if I stick close to you? I uh...I'm not one of those smart people, most of my life experiences are shooting stuff and getting into fights. Oh, and I might snag one of those 'nade launchers if that's alright."

If possible grab a grenade launcher and some ammo for it. And some artifact containers as well. Stay with Flint
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 08:45:12 pm »

"How are we going to collect samples without touching the thingies? Are we handing out tongs or forceps?"
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35