Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 45

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LVII: The Extra Guards Game over Town Victory  (Read 54853 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LVII: The Extra Guards (9/9)
« Reply #315 on: November 06, 2015, 05:41:02 pm »

So you suspect me but you don't think I'm suspicious, though you're suspicious of me because I could lead the town to its death. And you're voting for NJW. Right.

Anyway, you've managed to pinpoint a post you found off, now you have to pinpoint what about the post is off.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 06, 2015, 07:04:32 pm »

Hector:

1. Roo voted for me, I posted saying he was a liar, then he said I wasn't scum and unvoted later. That struck me as odd so I wanted him to tell me about that. Why does that intrigue you?
It was merely an example of you going after as little investigation as possible: getting involved with a very suspiscious player, and only asking about yourself. Roo had a fair bit more on his plate with the copclaim, everybody was confused by him, and the main point was that you didn't do anything more than politely helpful after that.

2.While encouraging the inactives to post is good, directing most of your scumhunting that isn't going at the most suspiscious players at the least posting players is a rather good choice for minimising the chance of people actually talking to you one-on-one.
  Also 2: you seem to be twisting my words a little: by /s, and the fact that I said:
"Seriously? Do you think we should scumhunt too, or would that be a bit OTT? /s, completely useless bit, saying, "hey guys, let's post on what's happening""
you might have actually been able to tell that I thought you were giving a contentless and stupid remark. In fact, your statement that the only thing that had happened d1 was the copclaim saga shows just how ridiculous the idea of telling people to talk about it was: you've accused me of trying to hush it up when I suggested that we talk about something else.
  If people needed telling to talk about it, yet it's all that had happened and I tried to destroy discussion of it - well, this makes very little sense, reinforcing my belief that your post was fluff.

3.My main point was that you asked for questions rather than scumhunting.

4. Yes, well, easy target, as I said. ATH's play has been dodgy as hell. You also chose longterm correspondences for your non-roo-and-ath (non-dodgy) scumhunting, suggesting you are interested in doing less of it.

I note that you fail to bring up the questions I asked on the next page to ATH, one about the games he said he read, then a question about his thought process in claiming, which I then poke holes in halfway down page 16/post 232.

So I'm going to accuse you at this point of being scum, cherry-picking quotes to suit the case you're inventing.
Seeing as you've obviously read and paid a reasonable amount of attention to my post, this is a rather scummy thing to say, as I explicitly dismiss targeting ATH as going after the easy stuff: his reasoning is certainly somewhat flawed as the gambit failed massively, and it's obviously going to be easy to just pick away at his posts. So I acknowledge that you attack ATH (and roo): you just seem to do little else, apart from going after absent people.
   Why you would accuse me of being scum so innocously, in the middle of the post, I have no idea. I'd have bolded that, just so skimmers noted it, a rather important game element, wouldn't you say?

I didn't know Roo was town at that point though, did I? He was softclaiming something, not scumhunting and not answering questions. Does that sound like town play to you? If so, how?
My main point was just that you really went to town on an admittedly dodgy townie, even compiling a file named "on roo's insanity". This reinforces scum tendencies, though if you were town, you obviously didn't know he was. But fair enough he was fairly suspiscious. And you made sure to stay on his back then.

Glossing Over Roo Point (Same quote, I'm tired): Yeah, another example of you just attacking the easily attacked, but sure, it was something someone had to look into.

Enquiries point: Yeah, you stayed on the guy who needed to be helped to quote posts and had to field questions from most players. Greaat. And the FoS is another example of you failing to pursue someone: you FoS'd me then haven't mentioned your concerns about me trying to hush up the ATH thing... till now, when I attacked you.

Quote from: hector, you know where
Further, I did suggest to everyone that an extension would be useful. Given that Roo turned up town, if I were scum why wouldn't I just leave things as they were and risk more information being brought into play before the end of the day, potentially ruining that mislynch?
Well, we didn't have that much, so an extension was going to be suggested, and being the one to do it makes you look good easily. I see you've saved that as a townie point there. Also, would most mafia rather a town lynch on day1 rather than a mislynch? ICs and players, this would be good to know. So Why would a mislynch have helped you?

And as for what you're not doing, Hector, is really scumhunting anyone who's neither a) an easy and obvious target with dodgy play, nor b)Not actually there most of the time, as far as I can see. By all means, prove me wrong on this most important of questions with some quotes, if you can.

One wheel short of a wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 06, 2015, 07:20:44 pm »

Quick post for the moment to address your final points, in case I don't get the opportunity to get to the rest of it tonight:

And as for what you're not doing, Hector, is really scumhunting anyone who's neither a) an easy and obvious target with dodgy play, nor b)Not actually there most of the time, as far as I can see. By all means, prove me wrong on this most important of questions with some quotes, if you can.

a) I was scumhunting ATH and Roo to solidify my reads on them. In case it has escaped your notice, I haven't exactly been convinced of ATH's cop claim since it happened, neither am I convinced he's scum. At this point in time, I think he's a nervous n00b who isn't sure what they're s'posed to be doing, and I don't like that because it's not going to help me figure out their alignment.

Roo was softclaiming, and I was trying to figure out if that meant he was scum trying to get us to lynch the cop or not.

How am I meant to figure these things out without scumhunting either player? Please enlighten me.

b) The inactive players. How are we going to get them more involved in the game? Asking them questions aka scumhunting. Why do you want me to stop asking them questions?

More to follow, hopefully.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 06, 2015, 07:35:45 pm »

a) I seem to be the only other one you're questioning: more skilled/present/conventional players like TolyK meggas have not got anything from you, really, and neither have I, much, except misinterpreting my worries about the roo affair. And as we are active, aggressively scumhunt and have not done anything to condemn us as dodgy gambiters, it seems like you're advoiding any tough conversations.

Tunneling is as scummy as not scumhunting, sometimes.

b)Again: you've misconstrued me. See above, basically, stop misconstruing me, it doesn't help your case. Have you every really attacked Meggas, me or TolyK? (And I don't mean now, I'm attacking you). Kina odd, advoiding anyone who could do some real damage from the smokescreen of absence and copclaiming.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 06, 2015, 08:15:37 pm »

Well TDS, you do seem to be pushing quite hard for us to trust that ATH is the cop. Why is that?

You vote for Roo here asking why Roo thinks ATH is scum, when claiming cop on D1 is not at all useful for town. One could argue this is scum protecting their fakeclaiming partner from pressure.

You get a little defensive here when NJW questions you over your inactivity, and then continue pressuring Roo over his "claim of cop", which he never actually did. He implied quite heavily that he had something to claim, but never actually went so far as to outright claim anything.

Here, your pressure on Roo continues, though you backtrack a little on Roo's claim, and ask him about softclaiming. Then you answered my question why you were voting Roo over ATH in the cop-claim nonsense, citing ATH claiming first as reason for voting Roo and if Roo was cop he'd vote for ATH, which is a little silly, since ATH could easily be scum trying to lure the cop into a counter-claim.

Then here you continue pushing ATH forward as a trustworthy dude, man. Acceptable logic, of course, but you don't appear to consider any other reason for ATH's survival beyond potential jailor, which might not even exist. Given that ATH has given us a result, which means he can't have been targeted by the potential jailor, what other reason could there be that he still lives?

ATH is giving off a town vibe to me and he's the only one claiming cop. There's still a chance that he's lying and that we only have a jailor, but scum generally don't draw attention to themselves Day 1.

I voted for roo because, while he might have been scum defending his ally, he was also acting like scum trying to push a lynch on someone.

Why mention the fact that roo never made an outright claim if it was implied heavily enough that multiple people asked him about it?

Roo would have voted for ATH if he (roo) was the cop but not if he (roo) was scum. If ATH got lynched and flipped cop, then roo would have been the next lynch; if ATH flipped scum, roo would have been confirmed as cop. Roo's hesitancy to vote for someone he apparently knew to be scum was the main reason that I voted for him.

It's possible that the scum just didn't kill, but that's unlikely and doesn't benefit them. Jailers are generally the only reason that nightkills don't happen in BMs. As to why ATH has an inspect result, there are three possibilities:

1. He's scum and got jailed but is lying. However, the jailor would know this and would say something about how ATH could not have received an inspected result.
2. He's scum and the jailor targeted someone else (who was attacked or who was scum). This is possible if there's no cop.
3. He's town and the jailor targeted someone else (who was attacked or who was scum). This is also possible. While the scum could have targeted ATH, they probably chose someone else to kill to try to not pick someone who was immune for the night.

RE: Everyone: stop with roleclaim jokes.

I'm a jailor cop rolecop mafia town.

PPE: NJW2000, how is hector "avoiding tough conversations"? How is hector supposed to not be scum if he's scummy for not scumhunting and for scumhunting at the same time? You're also saying that he's tunneling while conducting scumhunting against multiple other players (you, ATH, and formerly roo). Explain?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 06, 2015, 08:19:51 pm »

Spoiler: WALL (click to show/hide)

PPE: will read what TDS just said, may not respond this evening.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 06, 2015, 08:51:56 pm »

Never mind :))

Someone who quotes what I said so I don't have to look for the post they're responding too! *not looking at NJW*

ATH is giving off a town vibe to me and he's the only one claiming cop. There's still a chance that he's lying and that we only have a jailor, but scum generally don't draw attention to themselves Day 1.

I voted for roo because, while he might have been scum defending his ally, he was also acting like scum trying to push a lynch on someone.

But Roo said we should ignore ATH:

unvote this guy is a troll and I'm wasting my time with them.

That doesn't sound like he's trying to push a lynch on someone.

Indeed, he votes for me later than more or less immediately unvotes after I call him out on it. What makes you say he was trying to push votes on people?

Why mention the fact that roo never made an outright claim if it was implied heavily enough that multiple people asked him about it?

It was more that you assumed he was claiming cop when there was no evidence exactly what he was claiming. What made you think he was trying to claim cop specifically?

Roo would have voted for ATH if he (roo) was the cop but not if he (roo) was scum. If ATH got lynched and flipped cop, then roo would have been the next lynch; if ATH flipped scum, roo would have been confirmed as cop. Roo's hesitancy to vote for someone he apparently knew to be scum was the main reason that I voted for him.

I don't agree with your logic regarding Roo being cop, having pointed out that ATH could easily be scum trying to make the cop counter-claim in order to get rid of a power role on D1. Can you point out where Roo "appeared to know ATH is scum"?

It's possible that the scum just didn't kill, but that's unlikely and doesn't benefit them. Jailers are generally the only reason that nightkills don't happen in BMs. As to why ATH has an inspect result, there are three possibilities:

1. He's scum and got jailed but is lying. However, the jailor would know this and would say something about how ATH could not have received an inspected result.
2. He's scum and the jailor targeted someone else (who was attacked or who was scum). This is possible if there's no cop.
3. He's town and the jailor targeted someone else (who was attacked or who was scum). This is also possible. While the scum could have targeted ATH, they probably chose someone else to kill to try to not pick someone who was immune for the night.

1. I'm not sure why the jailor would wand to do that. Again, ATH could be trying to out our power roles.

2+3. Fair logic, I s'pose. Can't really poke holes in it... however, I would like to ask you why you think the jailor wouldn't target ATH during the night (assuming there is one) if he claimed cop? If he's cop he won't get a result, but he won't be killed either, but if he's scum he won't get a role investigation result/kill against the town, either.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 07, 2015, 06:31:56 am »

Hector

Seeing as you're accusing me of trying to do "as little investigation as possible", I would like you to give me an example of you pressing any other player for an extended period, before you started questioning me just now, and see if that doesn't apply to you.

Then apply it to the likes of TDS and 4mask.
Well, I did apply some questioning to you, though I haven't been able to be as active, and ultimately am not as strong and experienced, or involved, a player. The fact that I find this as hard as you do, and no more, is very strange, as you are the most active player. Again, I've asked you if you can give me an example of you attacking someone who wasn't either very dodgy or has made less than 0.6% of the posts. But anyway,
Looking back for an omgus on roo (this is why we need to be clear ::)) I realise that people may still want the hints ATH dropped to be shown. Why and to what extent is this a priotiry for you, hector13
And down a bit from there I follow it up - though I've mentioned having trouble getting reads on the less entagled players on d1.

Quote from: same quote
It's another conclusion that I can draw from you scumreading me asking questions to the other players. Again, not necessary the correct one, but it's difficult for me to accept scumhunting, even lurkers, as being a scumtell.

Do I have to attack every player to appear as town? Can I not rely on the other townies to pressure the players I'm not pressing? We're meant to be a team, albeit a team in which the other members don't know who else is on it...
My main driving point is that you have never attacked team members that weren't cryptic, absent or wildly gambitting and roleclaiming. Despite being pretty much the most active. In fact, players like TolyK and Meggas (and you) are craftier, and thus need attention from more experienced players less caught up in gambits. Like you. I'm asking why you've shied away from the more difficult job of scumhunting the stronger active players, and you haven't given me a great answer.

Basically Hector, how come no real attacks have come from you on me, Meggas or TolyK? Who happen to be the active and not too odd players? Or can you show me a real one?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 07, 2015, 06:39:13 am »

PPE: NJW2000, how is hector "avoiding tough conversations"? How is hector supposed to not be scum if he's scummy for not scumhunting and for scumhunting at the same time? You're also saying that he's tunneling while conducting scumhunting against multiple other players (you, ATH, and formerly roo). Explain?
Poor choice of words on my part, TDS, I just meant that he focuses on only inactives and suspiscious guys, which ends up with him only attacking people like roo and ATH while he waits for people like you - glad to see you have time to post more now, I suspect we need the experience :D- and 4Mask to post.

Of course he's scumhunting me, I didn't make it easy for him not to, but he's mainly doing that now that I've attacked him, or when I made a remark that left me very vulnerable to accusations of hushing.

I think he's scummy for a most active player because of his choice of scumhunting. None of the more active, strong, town-seeming players - the real threats, hardest to get much material for a read on without real interrogation. And why am I not attacking those players? Well, I am - I view him as one of them.

Also TDS: why is ATH giving you a town vibe exactly? Randomly trusting somebody is even odder than random unexplained suspiscion, in my book.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2015, 11:31:57 am »

I'm asking why you've shied away from the more difficult job of scumhunting the stronger active players, and you haven't given me a great answer.

I can't help it if you don't like my answer. I shall repeat: I wanted a better read on the person claiming cop, and the only other person who took great issue with that claim. I also wanted the less active players to be more active. I had null reads on you, Megas and Tolyk, which didn't bother me as much as having no read on TDS and 4mask, and wanting to figure out if Roo or ATH was the cop. I did ask a question about a potential scumslip from Tomasque at the end of the day.

Please don't keep asking me the same question. The answer won't change the nth time you tell me you don't accept it.

This is also why I'm not looking for me pressing you, Megas or Tolyk, because it hasn't actually happened beyond asking you a few questions each, if that. I'm prioritising sollidifying reads. If you think that makes me scum, fair enough. You may need more in order to get people to follow you on that, though.

how come no real attacks have come from you on me, Meggas or TolyK? Who happen to be the active and not too odd players?

Also, you more or less answered your own question there.

Also also, accusing you of being scum was more of a pressure thing.

Megas, Tolyk, Tomasque, 4mask. Who is your top scum-read, and why? Who is your top town read, and why?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2015, 11:37:01 am »

Fair 'nuff, I'll scumhunt others if I have much more time today.

Hector13, in case I forget. I think we know why by now.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2015, 11:42:16 am »

Would you summarise it for us, anyway? Just so it's all in one place.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 07, 2015, 11:57:45 am »

Sure.

Hector13, because while he is one of the most active, if not the most active players, the only posts of his that have really attacked someone have been against dodgy players/plays like roo and ATH, or people who haven't actually been here much. The rest of his posts, and most exchanges with me, TolyK, Tomasque and Meggas, the more active and less easily suspected players, who nonetheless are a big potential threat, have been desultory scumhunting at best, or just chatter or cries of "lets talk more".

tl;dr: Hector talked a lot, but never really attacked anyone but the very vulnerable like Roo and ATH or the absent (4Mask and TDS), thus being the most active without involving himself in potentially exposing situations.

In short, what he is doing (if he's scum) could be called the "I'm the most active" gambit.

My vote on Hector13 does feel a bit weird next to ATH's somewhat "psychic" accusation, tbh. But if that's what it takes to lynch him... I'll take the chance that ATH isn't scum and Hector is.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, thanks.

Hector13, because while he is one of the most active, if not the most active players, the only posts of his that have really attacked someone have been against dodgy players/plays like roo and ATH, or people who haven't actually been here much. The rest of his posts, and most exchanges with me, TolyK, Tomasque and Meggas, the more active and less easily suspected players, who nonetheless are a big potential threat, have been desultory scumhunting at best, or just chatter or cries of "lets talk more".

tl;dr: Hector talked a lot, but never really attacked anyone but the very vulnerable like Roo and ATH or the absent (4Mask and TDS), thus being the most active without involving himself in potentially exposing situations.

In short, what he is doing (if he's scum) could be called the "I'm the most active" gambit.

My vote on Hector13 does feel a bit weird next to ATH's somewhat "psychic" accusation, tbh. But if that's what it takes to lynch him... I'll take the chance that ATH isn't scum and Hector is.

From this it seems you're voting me because I'm the most active and I'm scumhunting, I'm just not scumhunting the right players.

You are also the one saying I'm the most active player, so... how is that a gambit on my part? Activity is not indicative of alignment, so I'm thinking you're indulging in the "this player is acting so town he must be scum" fallacy.

Equally so you seem to have completely glossed over TDS' chainsaw defense of me when he voted you. What do you think of that? If you think I'm scum, is TDS my scum partner?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chainsaw defence? The bit where he voted for me? Erm, I did reply to that: he basically told me he thought my argument made no sense.

I tried to put it in clearer terms.

And again, the WIFOM "so town he must be scum" factors in my thinking a bit - it means that some scumtells/towntells like posting a lot/not posting are less important when the scum may actually have a plan.

Friends over, probs won't be able to post more, especially not get any good reads, till tommorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 45