Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Divinity Original sin 2 (Early Access)  (Read 3499 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Divinity Original sin 2 (Early Access)
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:51:53 pm »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2

Yes they are making another one. Which boasts to not only include every single feature from the first game in tact (well sort of) but has included quite a few improvements of its own.

Some improvements include (Check the kickstarter for a indepth list)
-Four Player Co-op including 2 player couch co-op.
-Four Playable races (Each includes a living and undead version) each with their own advantages and disadvantages including unique racial skills. Human, Elf, Dwarf, Lizardkin (and their undead versions)
-Origins: Each character can have a different origin that determines their short term goals and how certain events will unfold.
-Text and quest adjustment for Origin and race: Are you a dwarf? Well some NPCs will either help or hinder you based on that. See a statue? Well an Elf might see something entirely different then a human. Perhaps he was a great genocider of elves but considered a hero to the humans.
-Competitive Co-op: Do you not want to help that loser who has been using you the whole time? You don't have to. Take sides either for or against and see how things play out instead of simply RPS.
-Skill Crafting: By combining certain skills you can create entirely new ones. I honestly don't exactly know what this entails.

Also good news to those who have the first game. The enhanced edition is coming out in October and will be free to those who own the first game. It is just a straight up improvement and frankly drastically needed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:14:39 pm by Neonivek »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity Original sin 2 (Kickstarter)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:09:47 am »

Kinda liked the first one, hope they can pull it off again. My main complaints about the original is the boring story and inventory management heavy crafting system.

Combat was fairly solid and challenging, some of the puzzles where fun to solve too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 11:39:08 am »

While they boast the enhanced edition is... well... enhanced... They really keep to themselves if it will actually fix the pacing.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:43:53 pm »

As much as I loved the combat and character customization in the first one, the pacing of the story just killed me. So much running around cities, talking to random people and hoping they would be the right one to advance the plot so I can find a new enemy to fight. IMHO, if I have to go more than 5 minutes without fighting something, solving a puzzle, watching a cinematic or experiencing a life-changing plot-twist, then the developers are doing something wrong.

Unless this issue is addressed in the second game, I won't be investing again.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 09:33:42 pm »

While I enjoyed Divinity and Divinity II despite being fairly clunky and unforgiving RPGs, I do have to wonder why an established game developer is turning to Kickstarter multiple times to try to procure funding?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:03:42 pm »

While I enjoyed Divinity and Divinity II despite being fairly clunky and unforgiving RPGs, I do have to wonder why an established game developer is turning to Kickstarter multiple times to try to procure funding?

The story they are going with is that they believe that the first Divinity Original Sin was only as good as it was because of the community involvement every step of the way... And while they certainly could have just funded Divinity Original Sin 2 themselves, they wanted the same kind of input and community behind it a second time around.

I also get an impression that they just kind of like the community behind it and find it somewhat motivating.

---

So much running around cities, talking to random people and hoping they would be the right one to advance the plot so I can find a new enemy to fight

While I object to this (the goals are kind of clear in both cities)... It does become quite true rather quickly anyway after you just dry up all your leads and you just end up trying to find enemies your level so you can go to the plot relevant area.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:01:46 am by Neonivek »

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 08:19:11 am »

if I have to go more than 5 minutes without fighting something, solving a puzzle, watching a cinematic or experiencing a life-changing plot-twist, then the developers are doing something wrong.

I don`t mind a good whine myself but this one is just so completely out of place as to be quite astonishing. I think not only you`re playing a wrong type of game (perhaps something insta-grat and easy would be more appropriate) but more importantly, you are playing it wrong. What you describe does not exist in D:OS - there are pretty clear and logical hints for all the quests I`ve encountered so far and also heaps of things to do and discover literally everywhere.

This is one of the reasons this game is a triumph - first trad CRPG probably since Fallout 2 that I truly enjoyed. Plus combat...well,  it`s a pinnacle of turn based systems and something I have been waiting for since Gold Box and XCom days of glory. It also shows how lame - at best passable - everything released in this genre during last decade and a half has been (Pillars Of Eternity is very good too, though inferior on few important counts).

As reaching out for the Kickstarter again, I agree it is  a very poor show and a sad new dev habit. Larian are an established studio with a hit game on their hands, there`s no excuses for not funding it themselves. However, I can`t really complain since the quality of the first one is just sky high, hence I`ll just swallow that and wait for the sequel.

And on top of that I just read somebody by the name of Chris Avellone just joined the Larian crew...hmm...not sure...anybody heard of this guy?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 11:36:30 am »

PTW. The first game was rather impressive.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 06:23:20 pm »

The Kickstarter itself tells you who Chris Avellone is... but Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic 2, and Fallout New Vegas.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 07:54:10 pm »

Well for those still listening there is going to be a 24 hour stream tomorrow as we near the last 24 hours remaining.

So far it is all but guaranteed we will get the Shapeshifting mask goal (we are only 20k away from it). So everyone is on edge to see if we can pull a miracle and get the 2m DM mode goal.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity Original sin 2 (Kickstarter Finished)
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 12:02:49 pm »

Ok this is the LAST update I'll do, it is a shame there wasn't more activity to make this less intrusive so anyone reading this who is annoyed at my essential three bumps in a row I appreciate your patience.

The Kickstarter is over and ALL the stretch goals have been achieved.

This includes the ever so helpful GM mode!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity Original sin 2 (Kickstarter Finished)
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 06:14:22 pm »

The game is now in Early Access and is on the steam page.

I haven't got any friends who play this game yet. So if anyone wants to team up, I'd be interested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity Original sin 2 (Early Access)
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 01:07:25 am »

Intriguing.
Is it much like 1, now that it's out?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 01:20:16 am »

Intriguing.
Is it much like 1, now that it's out?

Ok there are some rather large changes

For example CC is now guaranteed (it doesn't USUALLY have a chance to fail)... However now enemies, and you, have armor and Magic Armor (resists different types of attacks). Most CC won't effect the enemy unless it penetrates their armor.

You get a max of 6ap and I believe 4ap regeneration. Might seem like you are penalized for your movement but GOODNESS do you book it with less AP. Most moves take 2 ap.

Skill Synergy is much higher in this game. No longer are characters who mix skill types feel unrelated.

As well... Skills are just flat out better in the sequel. As a warrior and Rogue you feel like you have real power behind your skills.

---

Thievery is also VASTLY improved. People notice if things are missing and if your hanging around the scene of the crime people might want you to empty your pockets... keep getting away with it and the guards might start being more alert.

---

The new Origin system is very impressive "IF" you have no compunctions against playing as pre-generated characters (you can change their appearance and skills though).

As currently "Custom" characters (as in, your own characters) are under developed and lose out on story.

---

I won't lie the current state of the EA is rather Raw... for example
1) Summoning doesn't work
2) You cannot select starting skills
3) Crafting? Forget about it... recipes rarely work and certain recipes are outright missing.

You start off on the starting Island which is 8-12 hours... but honestly I've seen someone play for 22 hours before they beat it.

There are currently 11 different ways off the island.

---

You do need to be a bit more self-guided in this game. Your dumped on an island as a prisoner and the game doesn't tell you to do nothing! (you do need to escape mind you)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:25:22 am by Neonivek »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 09:30:14 pm »

I'll be buying this game the moment it's released.  The original Original Sin was very much my sort of thing and from what I hear this looks set to improve on almost everything it did.

The only reason I'm not buying it now is that I backed Torment ages ago and am finding it incredibly hard not to boot that up.  I want my first experience of an RPG to be the finished product.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: [1] 2