Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FPS loss and new DF version  (Read 2723 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS loss and new DF version
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 11:29:50 am »

trees and persistent worldgen.

Is it just trees though? I remember Putnam talking about some unknown background thing that was causing loads of lag, which could be fixed if you retired and unretired the fort.

Trees definitely are a major source of lag now, but there might be more going on as well. And not just persistent worldgen either.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:35:06 am by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 11:55:54 am »

trees and persistent worldgen.

Is it just trees though? I remember Putnam talking about some unknown background thing that was causing loads of lag, which could be fixed if you retired and unretired the fort.

Trees definitely are a major source of lag now, but there might be more going on as well. And not just persistent worldgen either.

True.  But those are the main ones I know of. When you cut down all the trees on a map for a 100 fps boost, that's pretty obvious.

Can I have a source for what Putnam said?
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 12:41:35 pm »

You don't have to go completely treeless. I tend to embark in areas with one tile that contains trees and 8 that do not (badlands + sparsely forested, or ocean + sparsely forested). That backfired the time when the sparsely forested tile contained just one tree... (and that tile junglified after a number of years as usual, which I consider another tree related bug).

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 01:11:43 pm »

True.  But those are the main ones I know of. When you cut down all the trees on a map for a 100 fps boost, that's pretty obvious.

Can I have a source for what Putnam said?

It was a comment he made on reddit a while back
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 07:00:20 pm »

This is all really interesting stuff. I remember a few players finding fixes for fps-killing bugs, but I think that happened early on in 0.40. It's possible that many could still remain. That's for Toady to fix. But everyone has also been talking about things the players can do to make the best of it, which is my approach :)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 07:18:11 am »

Incidentally, in the long term FPS really doesn't seem too bad. A 10-year-old, 200+ dorf, caverns-fully-explored fort in DF2014 has been running at a strong 20-30 fps for years now, which is (in my experience, anyway) comparable to such a fort in DF2012. I intend to run this fort for a long time, so I suppose I'll try and see how long it takes before it starts hitting FPS death levels.

davsim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 10:25:33 am »

The thing is that you have to ACTIVELY fight against fps death otherwise you will never make it past the 5th year, honestly, I'm annoyed by having to wipe out all the trees, atom smash ecc ecc...

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 10:31:53 am »

The thing is that you have to ACTIVELY fight against fps death otherwise you will never make it past the 5th year, honestly, I'm annoyed by having to wipe out all the trees, atom smash ecc ecc...

Agreed, but it's good that at least players can do this kind of thing. With only one dev, who doesn't really play the game and isn't focused on gameplay...these problems will be around for a while. But at least there are solutions, even if they limit the game.

For trees, you can always go to the caverns. No seasonal changes and no droppings. So you can safely embark on a desert/badlands/DFHack mountain, I'd say.
Pages: 1 [2]