40k Imperial Truth
- 7 (5.7%)
Mormon
- 1 (0.8%)
Fatalist/Determinist
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: What is your religion lower board forumites?  (Read 8207 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: What is your religion lower board forumites?
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2015, 09:31:05 pm »

I'm like 80% sure that's a Discworld reference.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2015, 09:32:20 pm »

Monstrous Regiment in particular.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2015, 10:43:32 pm »

Nihilist theist. Or shamanism depending on your definition. I believe there may or even probably is a god, possibly even an afterlife depending on their mood, but if there is, that doesn't necessarily attribute any meaning to our or his existence. Even if he's the Overgod, with nothing whatsoever past him in lightning bolt throwing skills or whatever, and he's decided we should follow the little pheromone trails he's placed under penalty of fire and brimstone, whatever rulership he creates is intrinsically arbitrary and can be ignored as his own maladaption against a world devoid of meaning - the same as for us.

Other than that I gravitate towards some mix of Taoism for its appeal to my love of paradox, and Buddhism which gets the closest to the general concept of detatchment from desire that religion in general seems to hit upon a lot.
edit:
Cinnabar is non-toxic though - turns out sulfur and mercury are like that one long-term couple in your circle of aquaintances: Frustratingly hard to get apart.
Oh god don't try this though. Pure mercury(II) sulfide might be great eats but you aren't going to get it pure, you're going to get the bastard step-child that's got all kinds of impurities of the two from surrounding minerals reacting with the mercury (because there's not enough sulfur in the mix, or because f-you you're getting some gypsum in the mix too), and that's what will ruin your day.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:05:03 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2015, 11:09:22 pm »

Wow. My religious beliefs are really hard to describe now[Thanks Bay12]. I hit "Non-religious theist", but that honestly doesn't describe it terribly well. I'm fairly certain there's a deistic god of some sort, although an Azathoth-like non-sentient entity/convergence of forces is quite possible as well. Said god might not even care about humanity at all or might just like watching us flail without intervention. Theistic god is also possible, but somewhat more unlikely. Probably not Zeus or any other god that fucks around with people blatantly and obviously for silly reasons, though. I sometimes call this hypothetical theistic entity "God", but it is not necessarily the Christian God, although the hypothetical one I feel would be worthy of worship shares many of Their characteristics. For the most part, I don't feel religion to be a terribly relevant thing, unless it actually and inextricably requires you to sacrifice people or whatever, in which case that's bad. And I have a great deal of respect for the general teachings for most modern religions[Scientology can go fuck itself though], even if I find their belief system constructed on somewhat spurious grounds.

Looking around, we're also doing a few philosophical viewpoints. I'm deterministic, but believe in free will. We DO get to make our own choices, but we make choices because of who we are and THAT is predetermined by our experiences and genetics, which are immutable. Our existence totally has inherent value, even if there is no god, because it exists. Value is tied to desirability and existence is inherently more desirable then not existing because you get to do all sorts of cool stuff this way.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2015, 11:32:08 pm »

It may sound impossible, but that is exactly what I expected to find when I clicked on that link.  Its like timecube all over again.

This predates timecube. By some measures of time.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2015, 11:37:32 pm »

Value is tied to desirability and existence is inherently more desirable then not existing because you get to do all sorts of cool stuff this way.
I used to obsess over whether we should or shouldn't bother, and over the value of life/living, because Nietzsche had this arbitrary disgust of humanism and spirituality sans rationalism, and because I picked up on that through middle/highschool as the Cool Guy attitude. Then I just cut out the middle and started enjoying the 'get to do all sorts of cool stuff' part without some misanthropic belief that we have to justify it with grand meaning, or any sort of rationality at all really. It's not even something that Buddhism attacks - joy in even the most materialist thing isn't necessarily not joy, or impure somehow. It's desire for that thing that pushes us off the cliff of questioning why we're allowed to suffer to get it, why sometimes we can't have it, why it has an end, etc.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:39:16 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2015, 11:45:39 pm »

I'm rather partial to this religion as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BfmPdut2x4
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2015, 02:17:13 am »

Ok, this really needs some popcorn and backstory
The bit about how I'm resigned to the fact that the universe is deterministic clockwork and I'm just a small cog along for the ride, whatever the initial cause?

Not much to tell.  Obviously I was always destined to turn out this way...
I guess you could say... 8) ...It was inevitable!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2015, 06:06:08 am »

Please add every single one of these to the poll or I will report you to the International Progressive Gestapo Inquisition.

And don't forget to include defunct movements like Catharism and Manichaeism as well – we don't want to discriminate against our population of incorporeal ancient spirits.

EDIT: Also, Descan would like you to add Transhumanism to the list, but he's too afraid to ask for all the religious stigma and Trans-shaming.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:16:10 am by SirQuiamus »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2015, 06:41:50 am »

You should add Scientology to the list as well. And of course if you add scientology you'll also have to add the Jedi, the Bene Geseretts, Children of Atom, and the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign.

EDIT:
Also Dagon worship. That one's even a legitimate (albeit defunct) faith.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:43:41 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2015, 08:49:40 am »

All yall need some Sarasvati in your life

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2015, 10:59:33 am »

I notice a distinct lack of accommodation for Slaves to Armok.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2015, 11:18:16 am »

Dwarf Fortress:  The pantheon so large, it's statistically likely to contain some truth?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2015, 11:29:46 am »

I notice a distinct lack of accommodation for Slaves to Armok.
I will need convincing that there are people who live as Slaves to Armok before I bother

Consider this a challenge because I'm not sure how you would go about it, what are Armok's worship beyond ok arms, blood and RNG?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10