40k Imperial Truth
- 7 (5.7%)
Mormon
- 1 (0.8%)
Fatalist/Determinist
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: What is your religion lower board forumites?  (Read 8240 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: What is your religion lower board forumites?
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2015, 10:42:23 am »

Above: why I approached spiritism.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2015, 10:45:35 am »

I am agnostic. There might be, or they might not be 'something', I do not know if there is, and probably never will know, but I will keep my eyes open just in case ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2015, 10:48:54 am »

I'm a the Non-denominational Buddhist, hi there everybody.
Hi! You aren't an atheist so I think you're cool. ^-^

Hi!, I think you're cool too!

The logic that that one's poking fun at always scares me a little, the thought that there are potentially thousands or even millions of people who only act more-or-less ethically because they think their god will smite them if they don't, rather than because acting ethically is inherently the correct way to live life.

Yep, my main problem with religion, and also human nature, but (mostly western/abrahamic) religion as a manifestation of that.

I also had this problem with Christianity, specifically. A lot of it is based off fear of what's going to happen when you die, and being good to avoid hell. I don't think you should need a threat like damnation in order to be kind and good. Also, some other specific things to do with god that I'm not going to get into. That's why I couldn't really agree with Christianity, because it didn't sit right with me.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2015, 10:51:26 am »

I'm atheist, but spiritual, but not really religious. I don't practice rituals or believe that there's a One True Way; I just feel that there's a spiritual aspect to the world, and spirituality of some kind is important. Maybe there's an actual label for me and a belief system that would fit, but I've grown accustomed to the way I view my own spirituality.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2015, 10:54:57 am »

The logic that that one's poking fun at always scares me a little, the thought that there are potentially thousands or even millions of people who only act more-or-less ethically because they think their god will smite them if they don't, rather than because acting ethically is inherently the correct way to live life.
It bothers me too.  But I think almost all of those people are actually ethical, they just believe that they're evil.  They think they'd do evil freely without religion, but I think they're wrong.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2015, 11:42:53 am »

I'm atheist, but spiritual, but not really religious. I don't practice rituals or believe that there's a One True Way; I just feel that there's a spiritual aspect to the world, and spirituality of some kind is important. Maybe there's an actual label for me and a belief system that would fit, but I've grown accustomed to the way I view my own spirituality.
I'm kinda in a similar boat here. I consider myself athiest and don't really believe, but my own cultural upbringing and my studies over the years have given me a lot respect for religions and spirituality. Like the underlying reasons for why they exist I feel is something that is pretty understandable when you get down to the root of it, and I find having strong spirituality to be admirable so long as you're kind/wise/smart about it. My family still practices a lot of the old traditions and on my mom's side they've practiced chinese herbalism for generations, and so I've always felt that there's something sort of just there deep down. To be honest I've considered fully converting to buddism a few times just for the feeling of being part of something bigger and getting in touch with my heritage.

Edit: Making this post made me think about the subject more deeply than I usually do, and I think I might have triggered something. A bit after writing it I felt so overcome with emotion that I felt close to crying, not even joking here. I think... I think I need some time to think about this.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:28:36 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2015, 12:03:55 pm »

Spirituality is good for you, explore it as you see fit and you'll eventualy come to an answer, and also many other questions you didn't have before. Anyone that tells you spirituality is useless because science can tell us everything obviously has a very superficial grasp of current human scientific knowledge and development, and isn't very different from a religious person that tells you only their beliefs matter.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2015, 12:36:09 pm »

I'm sort of the other way around. Not a believer and not spiritual but religious. Into rituals and chants and shit but not into doing them with faith/belief  or solemnity. That the beings concerned come from a faith that anyone believes in or that they are even theoretically sentient is not an issue; I don't believe in them either. Listening to a loop of the bomb-worship scene from Beneath the Planet of the Apes. Composing prayers to BOB Dobbs. Loading hymns from several faiths on my MP3 player. Chanting the incantation from Evil Dead 1*. Having a Pdf of the Prose Edda saved to my phone. That sort of thing.

*Tatra amistrobin azarta tatis manor manziz hounaz ansobar saman derobza dahir saika danz derodza kandar
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:42:27 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2015, 12:47:47 pm »

TFW there is only one person less into Imperial Truth than Roman Catholicism. Strongest religion indeed, I sense we have some serious possibilities ahead of us.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2015, 01:20:54 pm »

tfw slaanesh isn't listed :(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2015, 01:55:35 pm »

TFW there is only one person less into Imperial Truth than Roman Catholicism. Strongest religion indeed, I sense we have some serious possibilities ahead of us.
Do you not realize that the two are the same?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2015, 01:57:55 pm »

Do you not realize that the two are the same?
*BLAM*
HERESY!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2015, 01:59:54 pm »

Think about it! Its entirely plausible that the Imperial faith was constructed from what remained of the Church, especially once you consider what theology in a Revelation-style apocalypse might look like. You even have the messiah who sacrificed himself for all mankind...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2015, 02:00:22 pm »

Pretty much the reason I finally converted to Catholicism a few months ago.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2015, 02:05:42 pm »

Pretty much the reason I finally converted to Catholicism a few months ago.

I've never been able to figure this one out - did Helgo then actually dunk you in the Rhine? You guys get up to enough crazy shenanigans that I can never tell what's serious.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10