Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47

Author Topic: Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)  (Read 48210 times)

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 14 (Updated 10/27)
« Reply #255 on: October 29, 2015, 01:17:36 am »

Quote from: Radio
Graves, dingus, if you guys can hear me, get to the armory asap.

Cueball walks to face the officer. "Your soldiers' lives are at stake, yes. This is something I deeply understand," Cueball says. He then slowly disconnects and removes his helmet. He stares straight into the man's eyes, hoping to strike some fear with his deformed appearance. Coughing instinctively from the minor but noticeable atmospheric abrasion, he continues in a rasp.

"But you don't seem to grasp how extraordinary the lifepod truly is. Do you have computers capable of decrypting its software? Do you have the quentanglers necessary to enable its nanoscopic regeneration? Do you have the power of an Angel? Can you even understand these terms? While I feel bad for your men, your petty geopolitical war is of no concern to us. It would be irresponsible and immoral of me to allow you to keep the lifepod, or any technology of ours. This goes for your adversaries as well. There are thousands of my people on this planet now, gathering as we speak, and we intend to stay. We would prefer it be in peace. Our peoples have travelled across the cosmos for generations, utilizing technology based on principles divined from observations your people have yet to conceive. I ask once more that you peaceably return our property, lest you earn my ire," Cueball stated. He remembered a councillor giving a speech like this once, and hoped he hit his mark. He didn't know what half the fancy words meant. He hoped the foreigner didn't either.

"You said it yourself - we have technology you can't hope to match."

He held his iron gaze while he awaited the man's response, trying desperately not to cough again.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 29, 2015, 08:42:33 pm »

The name is Nyar, you asshole. So... We forming the first colony militia out here?

I wish you all peace and long life. Nyar nods respectively towards his creation before walking off towards the armory.

So ass kicking time?
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 30, 2015, 03:45:00 am »

I see... I'm already armed if need be. Can you spare the time to whisper me what's going on or are your hands full right now?

Cueball hears a person start running outside, near the tent. It runs away.

Graves, dingus, if you guys can hear me, get to the armory asap.

Cueball walks to face the officer. "Your soldiers' lives are at stake, yes. This is something I deeply understand," Cueball says. He then slowly disconnects and removes his helmet. He stares straight into the man's eyes, hoping to strike some fear with his deformed appearance. Coughing instinctively from the minor but noticeable atmospheric abrasion, he continues in a rasp.

"But you don't seem to grasp how extraordinary the lifepod truly is. Do you have computers capable of decrypting its software? Do you have the quentanglers necessary to enable its nanoscopic regeneration? Do you have the power of an Angel? Can you even understand these terms? While I feel bad for your men, your petty geopolitical war is of no concern to us. It would be irresponsible and immoral of me to allow you to keep the lifepod, or any technology of ours. This goes for your adversaries as well. There are thousands of my people on this planet now, gathering as we speak, and we intend to stay. We would prefer it be in peace. Our peoples have travelled across the cosmos for generations, utilizing technology based on principles divined from observations your people have yet to conceive. I ask once more that you peaceably return our property, lest you earn my ire," Cueball stated. He remembered a councillor giving a speech like this once, and hoped he hit his mark. He didn't know what half the fancy words meant. He hoped the foreigner didn't either.

"You said it yourself - we have technology you can't hope to match."

He held his iron gaze while he awaited the man's response, trying desperately not to cough again.

The steely-eyed officer raises a brow at the word "Angel." He waits for you to finish. [1] But the removing-your-helmet trick doesn't seem to have an effect. The idea that the air could be poisonous to humans had apparently never been brought up before you came along.

"You impress me, speaking of Angels and thousands upon the land, all mustering together to fight for the common good! But I'm afraid it doesn't look like you have any weapons on you, is that right?

My responsibility is to my own people, not to some foreigners. I understand the moral obligation that you speak of, and I answer that I don't give a ratte's ass about your ire and that this is a warzone. I think the Reichmen are gonna be a whole lot less hospitable than we are to you if they win the war."

It seems a good speech is useful if you can actually convince your audience... but you really did just ask him to give it to you. Without a sort of bargain deal it seems he is unlikely to budge.

I'll tell you what. If it really bothers you that much, how about you let one of our technicians tag along for a long while and take a look at your stuff when you're not using it. We learn from you, and we'll help you with whatever you need. Does that seem good enough for you?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:15:01 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 15 (Updated 11/1)
« Reply #258 on: November 02, 2015, 12:23:51 am »

1715 GREENHEART TIME, MAY 21st, 301 P.L
ERROR: FAILED TO CONNECT TO INTERNET TIME SERVER.

Arthur Staunch (Megggas):

[4] The fish does not resist bullets. It is now dead, so you search the corpse.

Its stomach contains several small beads that look much like pearls. Surely valuable stuff! Its teeth seem to be the part that makes it stick, they seem to have some velcro-like effect on both skin, clothes, and your suit fibers.

You see more fish in the water, but the bullets just splashes into the water and disappear, so you can't kill any of them. Actually, the bullets seem to have been slowed by the water. You find them lying among the rocks on the riverbed.

You reload the weapon. By now the fish have left, but you can see a faint glint of light coming from the riverbed. It's hard to see what it is, what with all the mud kicked up by the retreating fish, but it could be more pearls!

Spoiler: Status,Traits,Invntory (click to show/hide)

Ciri (Twinwolf):

A loud, muffled bang thoroughly wakes you.

You're currently inside a cryopod, scheduled to wake up some time after the troubles on the ship were over. You read the digital timestamp above your face... it reads "1715 GREENHEART TIME, MAY 21st, 301 P.L." That's ninety-two years since you were interred!
And it seems like the situation on the ship hasn't gotten any better. If your clouded vision serves you well, your pod is currently sitting in the bottom of a muddy river... though as the dirt in the water clears up you can see a dark, blurry figure above the surface of the water at the shoreline. The artificial sky is violet, for some reason.

Cueball (Paphi):

I see... I'm already armed if need be. Can you spare the time to whisper me what's going on or are your hands full right now?

You hear a person start running outside, near the tent. It runs away.

The steely-eyed officer raises a brow at the word "Angel." He waits for you to finish. [1] But the removing-your-helmet trick doesn't seem to have an effect. The idea that the air could be poisonous to humans had apparently never been brought up before you came along.

"You impress me, speaking of Angels and thousands upon the land, all mustering together to fight for the common good! But I'm afraid it doesn't look like you have any weapons on you, is that right?

My responsibility is to my own people, not to some foreigners. I understand the moral obligation that you speak of, and I answer that I don't give a ratte's ass about your ire and that this is a warzone. I think the Reichmen are gonna be a whole lot less hospitable than we are to you if they win the war."

It seems a good speech is useful if you can actually convince your audience... but you really did just ask him to give it to you. Without a sort of bargain deal it seems he is unlikely to budge.

I'll tell you what. If it really bothers you that much, how about you let one of our technicians tag along for a long while and take a look at your stuff when you're not using it. We learn from you, and we'll help you with whatever you need. Does that seem good enough for you?

Nyar Donovon (WunderKatze):

[6] The armory is bustling with personnel going inside to grab equipment, though not rifles; most of them carried rifles to the spot from the barracks. Instead they seem to be getting machine guns, ammunition, and searchlights, and large radios carried in backpacks.

Three teams assemble, six people each. One in each holds machine gun; one carries a radio on his back and is only armed with a pistol; one carries a searchlight but has his rifle slung over his shoulder. The rest have just rifles.
You hear a set of engines purring in the distance. Two jeeps pull over, with a third one waiting in the back. Their drivers call out in the men's strange language. One of then shouts "Schnell!"

"Hey, what are you doing?" you hear from your left. It's Enzio from the firing range.
"You joining the army all of a sudden?"
He nods toward the rifle on your back.
"Well, I wish you luck. One of ours's gone missing and we need to find him. Or his body."

Nole (Slayer1557):

((I was actually expecting you to post another action, but I'm assuming you'll just dig anyway))
The parachute cover works perfectly to keep the rain out! Your workplace, now sealed, is mostly free of flooding (as soon as you shovel out most of the wqater already inside the hole). Sure there are leaks here and there, but it's slow enough that it's manageable.

[4] You are able to dig around the object, gradually moving your side panels to keep the mud out. By the time you can see through the glass, it is already obvious that you just dug up a cryopod. And there's a person inside.
She is currently floating in the oxygel in her jumpsuit, watching you dig. As it stands, the pod is currently wedged underneath the shuttle and you can't lift the cover without moving either the pod or the shuttle. But something bothers you, something you don't immediately recognize until the shock of finding a person buried alive clears up:

Frozen people usually have their hair cut short. The woman in the pod has extremely long, white hair; in fact it is floating freely in the gel as if underwater.
Sure, the dingus had long hair when he came out of the pod, but he was a dingus. Any sensible person would cut her hair to prevent her scalp from rotting out during sleep and all sorts of other nasty things.

Unless...

Unless she is also a dingus. You shudder to think.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:51:06 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 02, 2015, 06:39:04 am »

Wait to be dug up. Not much else to do.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 02, 2015, 02:10:50 pm »

((I was hoping the scars would intimidate him. Ah well, 1s. Can we use Cabinboy for a little while?))

Cueball puts his helmet back on. Guess I'll leave the diplomacy for someone else...

"That'll work. That, the power cells for the pod, a vehicle capable of towing the pod through the muck, and some sort of writ that'll recognize us as a neutral party. In exchange for a strong vehicle, I'll also throw in this syringe. It's an intensely powerful healing agent capable of restoring organic tissues quickly, but it'll paralyze the area. It'll work for any organ but the brain, but make sure you don't need the part for a while," Cueball says, offering up his last medigel, hoping it'll get him something with enough torque to haul Graves' shuttle.

"I was just worried I might have pissed the guy off, but I worked out a deal. We're gonna have a tagalong for a while. What's with the racket outside?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 02, 2015, 02:21:34 pm »

Wait to be dug up. Not much else to do.

((Sorry! I forgot to mention--there is a handle on the inside so you can open it yourself.

The character outside is Meggas' character, so you can see what he is currently equipped with.))

((I was hoping the scars would intimidate him. Ah well, 1s. Can we use Cabinboy for a little while?))

((Use can use Cabinboy however you want, DigitalDemon left the game))

"I was just worried I might have pissed the guy off, but I worked out a deal. We're gonna have a tagalong for a while. What's with the racket outside?"

They're sending a search party out. A guy... I think his name is Hans... he hasn't reported back on time. they think there's enemy activity on the floodplain. We should be careful out there.

On the other hand, this camp is going to be noticeably quieter without those eighteen men here. Just doctors, engineers and the officer's bodyguard, I reckon.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 02, 2015, 03:28:58 pm »

Don't open it yet, then. Probably a bad idea to open it when I'm still somewhat submerged.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 02, 2015, 03:59:22 pm »

((I have a plan. Nyar blows up the radio shack with oxygel to get his trait, I go into the armory to get the batteries and my trait, we have Cabinboy jam their radio, and Graves keeps lookout/distracts the remaining soldiers. After that, we find a tank, bring the survivor to Graves' shuttle and get the hell out of here.))

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 02, 2015, 09:27:05 pm »

Arthur knows a trap when he sees one!

Fire my weapons at the glistening light.  If it has no effect, then look for a big rock or something and toss it at the light.  Fire my weapons at anything that arises out of the water.

(...ok, fine, I'll try to be good)

After several minutes, if my actions still haven't triggered a miniboss encounter, then cautiously dive into the water and check out the sparkles.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 02, 2015, 10:50:00 pm »

((I have a plan. Nyar blows up the radio shack with oxygel to get his trait, I go into the armory to get the batteries and my trait, we have Cabinboy jam their radio, and Graves keeps lookout/distracts the remaining soldiers. After that, we find a tank, bring the survivor to Graves' shuttle and get the hell out of here.))

Cabinboy definitely has more control over his radio than a Magus suit operator, so he should be able to jam any local signals. [3] And if you happen to tell him, Graves will approve reluctantly, but points out that if all survivors go missing along with a tank, the locals will obviously be suspicious.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2015, 02:07:42 pm »

Sure, the dingus had long hair when he came out of the pod, but he was a dingus. Any sensible person would cut her hair to prevent her scalp from rotting out during sleep and all sorts of other nasty things.

Unless...

Unless she is also a dingus. You shudder to think.

((Detecting a clear bias here. Ha ha. I'll be posting later this week, after midterms :L))

Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 03, 2015, 08:40:04 pm »

((Sorry didn't read this before. Sounds awesome.))

"Me, army?" What an idiot. "Yeah. I'm in charge of gun maintenance and overseeing the ordinance."

So I'm sure you didn't rally us for nothing... You got a plan?

I hope Cueball's thinking something good.... But then again... He's just an old guy... Wait patiently.

((Please roll on the bold text.))
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:53:43 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2015, 01:39:48 am »

"I'm with the officer now. With any luck he'll accompany me to the armory... Nyar, was it, I saw you playing with the oxygel earlier. There's a pod in the infirmary. I want you to take out the radio shack. Catch my drift? I want you to get ready, and wait for my signal.

Cabinboy, I want you with me when I leave for the armory. When I give Nyar his signal, I want you to jam all non-Magnus radio frequencies.

Graves, I want you to keep lookout. I'd prefer as few casualties as possible, but we need to get back to Nole and the others. If they're sending out search parties, they'll run into our guys soon enough. What kind of mech do they have here? I don't plan to leave on foot. Like you said, we should save the shuttle fuel."

Cueball tries to ramble his plan to the survivors without seeming suspicious to the officer.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2015, 04:07:17 am »

((Ugh, I'm bad at posting paralysis.  Not a good excuse.  I'll try to be better about it.  Also, surprised Ciri isn't in the pod under our ship.  I had to read that a few times before I understood.  Then... who IS under our ship O.o?))

Nole falls back on his ass, exasperated after all the effort he was putting into this.  Progress was made, for sure, but the realization that he would have to move the pod or the ship to get it open was sickening.  This world was pushing him hard, right from the get-go.  He didn't want to disappoint everyone though.  They were probably doing things equally important, and he wanted to have things to show for it when they get back... if they get back.

He holds a clenched fist to his forehead and does a quick prayer for their safety.  Picking himself up he turns to the pod and yells at it, tapping the side a few times.  "I'm gonna try to get you out of there!  Hold on!"  He heads out to the rain and glares at the ship.  It was unlikely he would be able to move the pod without some machinery, which he had none of at the moment.  In his mind at least, his only chance was if he could get the ship to move somehow.  It its current state, it was as likely to explode as it was to move far enough to get off the pod.  Gathering his determination he sets to work.

Nole checks the ship for working systems.  What kind of propulsion did it have, and is anything still functional?  Barring that, does there seem any plausible way to open the pod from the exposed side?  ((I doubt it, since the pods seem very sturdy, but thought I'd ask))
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47