Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 46 dwarves, 3 mules and a cat!  (Read 2162 times)

Parthon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
46 dwarves, 3 mules and a cat!
« on: August 27, 2007, 06:48:00 am »

It's my second game and I'm just heading into my second winter right now with well over 300 food for 46 dwarves, and I just don't know what to do with them. I have many dwarves doing all kinds of things, I just don't know what I want them to do.

I had 28 join the 7 starters, plus another 11 after that, and no deaths yet aside from 3 drowned horses.

I've just bridged the chasm and on the way to the magma river, all of my crafts are going full out and I have 8 farmers, 6 hunters and 32 others.

Any suggestions?

Been

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 46 dwarves, 3 mules and a cat!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 07:05:00 am »

If you mean that you've just got lots of dwarves idling around doing nothing then maybe start mining out some more areas for later expansion, or set them off to engrave everything so they can at least make your fortress look a bit nicer while also getting their stats a bit higher when you want to use them for a real job later.

If you're just wondering what else YOU can do as a player though, maybe build a barracks and start getting a few dwarves trained up in your military?  Or if you're feeling artistic maybe design a mural to make out of bridges?  It's what all the cool kids are doing.

Parthon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 07:25:00 am »

Cool! Thanks. Forgot all about engraving, had them hauling stone.

Parthon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:27:00 am »

Ouch. Spring came, I opened my floodgates into my pristine farming setup, and forgot a single channel. Next thing I know permaflood into the outside, and everywhere except my eating chambers .. oh well.

Next time I place the level somewhere better. Like IN the protected areas.

Been

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

Hmm...  Just started thinking about a fortress split into sections with levers, floodgates and drawbridges set up in a way so that you can permaflood sections of the fortress while leaving the rest of it intact.  Wouldn't be too much use in fortress mode as anything other a curiousity and a kinda crazy last ditch defence tactic in case of sieges, but it might be fun to set up in adventure mode with several trap levers which flood the area placed near the ones which lower the bridges leading to new areas.

Need some sort of way for people to figure out which lever to pull, but that shouldn't be too hard.   Might even give it a go when I finally get my laptop set up so I can actually play the game again.

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:39:00 am »

I would advise that you do not worry about making elaborate defenses against flooding. Just make sure your channels are placed in the correct spots to block the floods from entering your fortress. Instead of worrying about taking out time to prevent the rest of your fortress from getting flooded and having an ugly blemish of water that never goes away. Try backing up your saves and keeping a few backlogged. That way you won't have to start over if things go totally wonky. Easiest way to backup a save is to save, exit, and then just zip up the entire thing. There is a way to backup just the world and I can tell you how if you really want to.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Been:
<STRONG>Hmm...  Just started thinking about a fortress split into sections with levers, floodgates and drawbridges set up in a way so that you can permaflood sections of the fortress while leaving the rest of it intact.  Wouldn't be too much use in fortress mode as anything other a curiousity and a kinda crazy last ditch defence tactic in case of sieges, but it might be fun to set up in adventure mode with several trap levers which flood the area placed near the ones which lower the bridges leading to new areas.

Need some sort of way for people to figure out which lever to pull, but that shouldn't be too hard.   Might even give it a go when I finally get my laptop set up so I can actually play the game again.</STRONG>

Sorry to disappoint you, but floodgates are removed when you visit your fortress as an adventurer. All floods are removed, too.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 11:06:00 am »

??  I've never experienced that.  I've gone to several fortresses of mine and used the levers to flood or drain the sections of my old fortresses.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »

Floodgates are not removed.
I don't know about floods.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »

The only time I played in a world I had permaflooded a fortress, it crashed the game whenever I tryied to reclaim it or enter it with an adventurer...

By the way, if you don't know what your dwarves should do next, it's probably because you don't have a major project in mind for the future. Major projects can be anything, but those I know most about are huge tombs and living quarter desings.  :)

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 01:51:00 pm »

I drowned an adventurer in an old fortress testing to make sure levers and floodgates still work.

They do.

RIP.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>The only time I played in a world I had permaflooded a fortress, it crashed the game whenever I tryied to reclaim it or enter it with an adventurer...

By the way, if you don't know what your dwarves should do next, it's probably because you don't have a major project in mind for the future. Major projects can be anything, but those I know most about are huge tombs and living quarter desings.   :)</STRONG>

happens to me everytime i flood the outside

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>

Sorry to disappoint you, but floodgates are removed when you visit your fortress as an adventurer. All floods are removed, too.</STRONG>

tell that to my adventurer who was fried by lava after a gremlin triggered the defective lava defense that flooded the fortress and made me abandon it in the first place  :(

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>

Sorry to disappoint you, but floodgates are removed when you visit your fortress as an adventurer. All floods are removed, too.</STRONG>

But I've visited one of my two flooded fortresses in adventure mode, and I don't know if the floodgates were still there, mainly because I couldn't get in because the flood sure as hell still was there!

I'm surprised it didn't cause a new lake and river on the world map.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.