Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Great Game of the Gods II OOC  (Read 6453 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Great Game of the Gods II OOC
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:13:31 pm »

Beneath the mortal world churns a vast sea of cosmic, divine, and magical energy. This is the root of all magic. It is endless, it is timeless, and it is where you came from.

This primordial soup of raw power creates what can only be called anomalies. As bits of magic and energy collide and combine, some begin to gain sentience. Some begin to live.  These anomalies cannot stay here however. They are no longer part of the endless. And so the great sea raises a tendril, a river of pure power and magic, up to the mortal world. It is upon this river of light that the budding being is delivered into the world. As they rise up towards the mortal world they pass by many a place and absorb energy from the great sea all the while. By the time they reach the world, they have almost developed solidarity as a separate entity, but not quite. They, pushed by a flood of magical energy, are squeezed into the physical world.

This is where our story begins. You are a god who has just entered an unknown world of which you know next to nothing about. However, you are whole, alive, distinct, and powerful.

This is not a direct reboot, but will be more like the game that I imagined. It will be equal parts god game and strategy game. I plan on having a grid map instead of an arbitrary region map this time around. I'm also doing the stat system differently. And the worship/units work differently.

The stats are fairly straight forward.

Stats:
Health: Your health. Regenerates partially by spending a turn resting/healing. (All gods have 100 HP)
Divine Points: You use this to do divine acts. (All gods gain 3 a turn)
Worship Points: You use this to recruit religious units.
Coin: You use this to buy units.

There will be units and champions. Units represent groups of people, whether they're civilian or military has to do with their traits. Champions often have been selected by the gods to be a major actor in the world and often have some sort of divine weapon or blessing.

Type Traits: These determine the unit type (Builder, soldier, champion, so on and so forth)
Effect Trait: These have special effects on how the unit acts, they can alter stats or behaviors or give special bonuses.

Units have health and damage as their only stats, but can do special things.

Structures: Structures are buildings and places which also have traits. They are a lot like stationary units. They have the added benefit of producing coin, worship points, or whatever else. See bellow.

Base: Your seat of power. This is the only place in which you may rest to regain health. You also receive a defense bonus when on your base tile.

Forts: Provide a defense bonus to units stationed there.

Settlements: Produce coin and can hold some coin.

City: Upgraded settlement. Produces more coin, but can hold none.

Church/temple: Produces worship points.

Hordes: The main area where you store your gold. They can be plundered by other player's units. Multiple hoards may be built and the distribution of coin is at the players discretion. Building a horde near another player's base or settlements will generate varying bonuses (Normally WP or coin bonuses)

Special areas: Many special areas will occur naturally. Others can be created by players. This is handled on a case by case basis, but will normally provide some sort of bonus or debuff to the area.

Monster dens: These occasionally spawn NPC monsters. Having your units clear these will grant them better weapons and abilities. However, the monsters won't go down without a fight.

Titan: A powerful "boss" monster. Slaying it will provide blessing and bonuses on a case by case basis.

Secret areas: Some buildings may be constructed in secret for an extra cost. Hordes are the most likely candidate. Having secret temples/cities will decrease production.

Rules:

(1) Gods cannot directly harm each other.
(2) Alliances are allowed and players can pool resources.
(3) A player can take another player as a vassal god if both gods desire. This means they must protect their vassal, and in exchange, they gain 10% of the vassal's WP.
(4) Objects can be filled with magic. However they are like batteries and must be recharged. Small ones can recharge over time, but large ones may require direct charging. These sort of things will be referred to as mana batteries.
(5) Units can slay gods and other units and structures. Gods may also kill units and destroy structures, just not other gods.
(6) Structures generate the mortal currency, worship points, or other things based on what a player wants (will have to discuss with me if it produces something other than currency).
(7) Gold must be stored within a hoard. You need at least one horde before acquiring gold. Settlements may also hold a small amount of coin.
(8) Special areas provide bonuses or debuffs to units/structures in those locations.
(9) Multiple units may share a tile, but multiple structures cannot.
(10) Attacking units move into the tile they are attacking. Defending units stay in their tile. If an attack does not destroy the defending unit, they return to the tile they started in. Ranged units do not move into tiles after killing an enemy.
(11) Actions may be done in secret by PMing me. Agreements between players are only binding if I am informed of them.
(12) New rules will be added as needed.
(13) Upon a god's death their units disband or become NPC's at my discretion.

Magic exists in this world and is usable by mortals in the form of mana. Mana regenerates in mortal's bodies like divine essence regenerates in gods. However, this means that gods cant use mana and mortals can't use divine essence.

Players play as physical gods. Your sphere relates to what you have dominion over. It's the aspect associated with your divine power. As a result, your actions concerning your sphere will be more powerful than your actions not relating to your sphere. This does not decrease the price. However, it does decrease the price of recruiting mages who share your sphere.

God Template:
Name:
Sphere:
Description:

Original thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151460.msg6311046#msg6311046

Based roughly on this idea: https://xorvintaal.wordpress.com/about/the-great-game-2/

IC: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152794.msg6471481#msg6471481

If I get more than 6 applications, the game will not be first come first serve. I'll likely try to create some sort of balance so that spheres don't overlap too much.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:00:56 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: Great Game of the Gods II (0/6)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:14:03 pm »

Info Dump Post:

Unit type traits:
Peasant-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Builder-
Archer/gunner-
Mage-

Guard-
Soldier-
Mercenary-
Trader-

Religious-
Siege-
Other-

All units have 1 coin/WP upkeep cost per turn regardless of how much they cost to make. Units bought with coin have coin upkeep. Units bought with WP have WP upkeep. They also gain their respective secondary traits.

Unit secondary traits: (combat units only unless race specific)

Religious
Worldly
Poisonous-
Armor 0-3
Weapon 0-3
Undead
Vampiric
Holy
Elemental
Secondary Elemental
Amphibious
Fast
Slow
Big
Small
Motivated
Unmotivated
Evil
Good
Honorable
Mounted
Naval
Air/flying
Zealot
Insane
Thorns/retaliation
Merciless
Reckless
Cowardly
Stealthy
Resistant to X
Diseased
Paralytic
Terrifying
Taunting
Huge
Giant
Giant Slayer
Burrowing
Man slayer
Beast slayer
Telekinetic
Ugly
Pretty
Vain
Materialistic
Monstrous
Flimsy
Hydrophobic
Unnatural composition
Prone to dehydration
Slowdraw
Quickdraw
Weak to X
Low pain tolerance

RP Bonus means that that unit may do actions that a reasonably linked to that trait. For example, an evil unit may gain bonuses when doing evil things. RP bonuses won't always occur, and they won't always be good.

Race wide bonuses may be granted upon creation. However, they will need to balanced with equally as detrimental maluses.

Structures :
Village
Settlement
Temple
City
Monastery
Fort
Bridge
Hoard
Dungeon
Other

Special Buildings:
Wizard Tower
Siege Workshop
Science Lab
Other

The units produced by special buildings cannot be housed in other buildings.

Tiles
Mountain
Freshwater
Land
Coast
Ocean
Desert

Note on DP: DP can be used for any sort of divine act. This normally comes in the form of creating something from nothing. Races, magic weapons, natural structures, and other artifacts are all good uses of DP, but are certainly not the only uses.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:23:36 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 03:14:53 pm »

reserved for map and player list
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:17:24 pm by Spiderking50 »

Urist Targaryen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 03:25:07 pm »

Spoiler: Amrok, God of Sap (click to show/hide)

((If this is too whimsical I could make a more serious application...))

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 03:27:12 pm »

Spoiler: Amrok, God of Sap (click to show/hide)

((If this is too whimsical I could make a more serious application...))

Defender of nature is a fine application. I'll likely boil your sphere down to forests for simplicity and mechanics.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:31:21 pm by flazeo25 »

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 04:13:02 pm »

Yay, this is back
Spoiler: my god (click to show/hide)
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:15:00 pm »

Researved
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 04:19:31 pm »

Name: Urist Mc Pret
Sphere: !!FUN!!
Description: A Dwarf with a large brown beard, and a bald head.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 04:57:42 pm »

That one may actually be too whimsical. This is a cutthroat game to decide who the greatest god is.

Are there any melee magical units?

There could be. They wouldn't necessarily get their own unit type. What did you have in mind?

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 04:59:01 pm »

That one may actually be too whimsical. This is a cutthroat game to decide who the greatest god is.

Are there any melee magical units?

There could be. They wouldn't necessarily get their own unit type. What did you have in mind?

When  I mean fun I mean dwarf fortress style !!FUN!! (Pretty much a death cult))

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:05:47 pm »

You should look at the first version to see the kinds of gods people had there. They're more like giant monsters than gods. Granted you don't have to change it, you just may not be as imposing or as godly as the other players.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 05:08:09 pm »

Giant monsters you say?

Name: The Bane
Sphere: Blood and Sacrifice
Description: An invisible monster that will sometimes take the form of a giant cat with red eyes and blood covered claws.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 05:18:45 pm »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 05:46:52 pm »

Name: Known by several.  Actual name is Antír.
Sphere: Collapse and Restoration
Description: He holds many different appearances, based upon who is observing him and in which of his spheres he is acting in.  When acting towards the Collapse of a sociey, ideal, or other concept, he takes the appearance of a heretic, a rebel, an anarchist, or similar identity.  When acting towards the Restoration, he is an artisan, a craftsman, a leader, or similar identity.  From the sight of other gods, he always appears in the vein of a man wishing to make his mark upon the world and be remembered.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:05:16 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5