Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: War of the Planets : OOC thread  (Read 7311 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
War of the Planets : OOC thread
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:03:02 pm »

War of the Planets
(Inspired by Sensei's weapon design game but with some significantly changed mechanics.)

Earth is invaded by a mysterious race from outer space.

Earthlings IC thread : Link
Invaders IC thread : Link

The year is 2023, in a world almost entirely, but not quite, like our own. Humanity remains fragmented in a multitude of nations, united in name only under the Umbrella of the United Nations. Strive between various nations has been high, due to the limited nature of the Earth's natural resources, and the inclination of each nations to imprint it's will on the policies of the world. Large wars no longer exist, but the fighting continues in the shadows. Recently however, the leaders of the world have had a series of high level meetings conducted under utmost secrecy. The subject has been problematic. The existence, and presumed hostility, of extraterrestrial life forms.

Information on the nature, and intentions of these extraterrestrial are scarce. The general population knows nothing of the discovery of alien life forms and the talks having been cleverly disguised as being yet another insignificant trade treaty. Given that nature however, enthousiasm for politicians in preparing a militarized agency to deal with alien life has been rather insignificant. In the end, one nation took the lead, with others offering only token support and as such, the amount of resources for this new organization has been severely limited until it can convince the world of the urgency of it's mission.

Houses and streets are lit by LED's in some parts of the world, and not at all in other parts. You have been gathered here, and presented an offer you can not refuse. To prepare for the eventually of an interplanetary war, and win it if necessary. The deep space network is listening, and satellites peer through the dark veil of space for any information. In time perhaps, humanity might unite against this common danger, but for now you will fight alone.

THE FACTIONS

Unlike the other games, here we deal with a highly asymmetrical playing field. The alien faction will have far superior technology, but will in general be unable to effectively deploy a large number of units. The humans have the home field advantage, but not everyone wants to fight, or even knows the aliens exist.

For now, both alien and human factions are largely undefined, their starting equipment and ideas dependent on choices the players make in the respective threads. The starting location of the human faction determines their first units and weaponry, and confers one unique advantage.

Similarly, the aliens have several general paths from which they might develop. Then again, nothing to prevent them from developing giant Kaiju first, then break out the UFO's.

RULES OF THE GAME
In either nation's thread, you may suggest what to do each turn, and vote in favor other suggestions. Please stick to one nation, nobody likes a turncoat! You may look at the other side's thread, but metagaming of any sort is unacceptable. Self lobotomize if nessecairy.

Turns have four distinct parts.

- In the Design Phase, you may suggest a new weapon (i.e. a giant war mech). I will secretly roll some dice, which tells me whether or not to introduce Bugs. Then, depending on specs and how ambitious your new project is, I will assign a production cost to it (using too much material will increase Expense). At any time you can ask for an appraisal of a design's expense. If you want, you can use your Design Phase to instead redesign an old project, instead of making a new one.
- The revision phase is a phase similar, but less powerfull than the design phase. It allows you to make modifications to an existing design, to improve it's performance, or reduce it's expense.
- Know your enemy. With the research phase you can attempt to learn about your enemy, perhaps discovering hidden weaknesses or stealing their technology. Or just use it to develop your own highly theoretical weaponry. Best run the numbers first before developing that massive walking tank after all.
- Combat : See what all that effort was good for. This is a bit more of a hands-off phase, though you can affect the general flow of the battle by directing the flow of units and appointing commanding officers. I'll provide a description of who has the advantage on which fronts, and maybe roll some dice here and there. Feel free to point out mistakes you think I might have made via PM, though it won't always be convenient for me to alter the results even if I think you make some good points.

Additionally, certain contests or other things might earn you a credit (Expense, Design, Research, Production), which can give you a minor or major short advantage.

Production: You only have a limited amount of production lines available. Each piece of equipment has a batch size, which determines how many units of this will be deployed each turn. Any army can have between 0 to 20 units, where 0 means none are present, and 10 means enough are present for normal combat effectiveness. At 20 you could be using mech suits for logistic purposes if no better alternatives are available.

An exception to this rule are units which are considered so expensive to be national efforts. These units will be single, named units, and require their own production line merely for logistic support. Reserve this for extremely expensive designs, such as orbital weapon sattelites.

You might gain an Production Credit by meeting certain requirements, which you can assign to an existing design, allowing you to temporally double the effectiveness of the production lines.

Generals : Each army operating in 1 theater gets one. The general determines the general strategy followed, and hence can result in more or less effective use of certain weapons. Choice of general is important, but don't expect that you can shuffle them around at will. Unless they goof up, they have enough political clout to support their own position.

TURN INDEX:
N/A
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:09:01 pm by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Competitive suggestion Game [WIP : DO NOT POST]
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:04:03 pm »

Reserve 1 out of 3

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:04:23 pm »

Reserve 2 out of 3

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 04:04:39 pm »

Reserve 3 out of 3

Everchosen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : OOC thread
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 04:55:21 pm »

PTW

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 05:06:35 pm »

Looks very interesting
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:09:24 pm »

There, I think everything is finished now.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:09:47 pm »

Wait, are players generals? It confuses me a bit, for some reason.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:18:10 pm »

An interesting idea, but no.

You'll get a list of generals, and can choose a few of these. They'll get a few traits like : Defensive, Insane, Air support, and all that.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 06:00:04 pm »

So, you would want to play on one thread, but not another?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:09 pm »

Hey, would Antarctica actually be an option?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:47 pm »

You can only participate in one thread yes. Would be boring if you came up with the designs for one side to counter the designs of the other.

Sure.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 12:04:58 am »

Ooh, this should be fun. At the least it should last longer than the mess I made of this sorta thing when I tried it...

Due to that disaster, I now ask a question. Ebbor, do you want a hand in running this? Its an awesome concept and I personally dont really feel right being on either side.
Human because I think I would wind up being a giant ass, and alien because, well, go humans...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:10:45 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 12:13:22 am »

Also, just a suggestion, but shouldn't the humans deal with existing equipment, and not multi-billion dollar blowouts with nothing to show for it? :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 05:05:18 am »

PTW
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6