Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 442584 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Requesting Overseers
« Reply #1305 on: October 20, 2016, 07:09:19 pm »

Two more good sieges and we're toast anyway.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 20, 2016, 07:58:31 pm »

Looking at it...I get 14 FPS. Not much a decline from 18 last time iirc, but that time it had like double the citizens.

And the broker claimed king's room :v

*checks stocks*

Uh, what?

They're bees, apparently. Though threads and blocks are laggy to look at. Must be webs.

Cleaning everything and killing the webs...nets maaaybe 2 FPS? If that.

the b)...Well. To be honest, looking at BB the feelings I get are "this fort is so open". There are climbing accesses...But mostly, the whole thing is very much open to the sky. Well, there's about 4k wood and 1k copper to do just that.

That said. A military end of breadbowl...feels a little improper, even if it's lack of focus is appropriate. No, I think a more suitable end would be due giving away all foods to caravans + starving tantrum-spirals. Maybe trade away the ~16k available and then have the farmers break down? By the time butcher's hunting for vermin, there's nobody to slaughter pets.

Though this all is very much into "deliberately killing the fort because there aren't another dozen overseers" territory. 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:18 pm »

I don't think you understand how much food we have. There's no way to starve this fort. The merchants will leave before you get everything to the depot.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 20, 2016, 10:00:19 pm »

Actually, I manually assigned the broker to the king's room during the post-FB recovery. At the time, the broker in question was also mayor, and thus demanded quality (though not necessarily royal) space. And I certainly wasn't going to bother creating nice rooms while the fort was littered with bodies. So I just used what was vacant. And then when another dwarf was elected mayor, I assigned him the remaining floors of the royal tower. It's not like we needed the room for anything else  :P

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 21, 2016, 01:47:53 am »

Can I volunteer for "The Historian of Breadbowl" job?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 21, 2016, 02:21:12 am »

Chronicle away! I'm not sure what that job would do, so that's up to you :)
I don't think you understand how much food we have. There's no way to starve this fort. The merchants will leave before you get everything to the depot.
Well, honestly that's because the goods are moved from over 40 tiles away(judging from still distances, and I wouldn't be surprised if prepared meals - which I couldn't find - are even farther away) one at a time, when only merchants are visiting.

Assuming average barrel of drink in Breadbowl contains 20 units of drink, if you used minecarts to trade them from 1 tile away you'd only have to do the equivalent of 26 tiles of weight hauling when merchants are visiting, instead of 27950+ tiles of single-barrel hauling (and I bet there most of the drink is stockpiled further away than stills). Not very efficient, Breadbowl is.

Granted, having more months to move things to 1 tile from depot only helps so much - it seems like if the goal outlined in OP would be even hauled to depot in a year there would need to be equivalent of auto-transport stone quarries, expect for food.

Prepared meals...I couldn't even find the prepared meal pile. At least plant barrels have two thirds the distance of booze ones.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:25:53 am by Fleeting Frames »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 21, 2016, 02:29:04 am »

I'm "chronicling" the noseless winged web-shooting zebra's rampage right now. Brutal (not br00tal; well it could be considered that if you stretch your definition of br00tal), gory stuff.

PS: I propose a third option:

C) Restart from Migrant's half-year save. And give Luneya the reins, as he (or his dwarf, rather) will have the nightmare of Ongul killing 63 dwarves. Then the order to barricade the unguarded bridge should be given.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:51:29 am by HMetal2001 »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 21, 2016, 04:45:12 am »

Okay, let's see what there is to see in and around Brea-

Dear Armok that's a lot of Monitor Lizards.

Okay, let's see what there is to see in and around Breadbowl aside from our ridiculous horde of Monitor Lizards...

Named dwarves:

'Dirk' Shotentrance, female, 'Lazy Bastard', Legendary +5 Miner.
'Vutok' Boulderdwelled, male, woodcutter and doctor.
'Murphy' Smithsyrups, female, mayor.
'Ivomtad' Urnfissure, male, Legendary+5 Grower.
'Gordak Pickhailed the Helmed Funeral of Clutches, male, Legendary+5 Hammerlord.
'Tonnot' Sizzletreaties, male, Legendary+5 Brewer, Speardwarf (recently drafted).
'Kol' Copperweaver, male, Legendary+5 Speardwarf.
'Big Sibrek' Gatemoistened the Brass Aura of Dwellings, female, Militia Commander, Legendary+5 Axedwarf.
'Techno' Helmedtones, female, Militia Captain, Legendary+5 Axedwarf.
'Metalhead 183' Lashsnarl the Barricaded Plane of Desserts, male, Legendary+5 Axedwarf.
'Thunk' Hazechambers the Echo of Lands, male, 'Doombringer', Legendary+5 Axedwarf.

Thanks to the introduction of the rediculously unbalanced alcohol syndrome, stress is no longer a problem. In spite of everything, only two dwarves are even mildly stressed: Fath and Udil.

It's probably worth noting that Kastoltegir and Alaknikot, our artifact adamatine spear and artifact silver mace, are not currently being wielded. They should really be assigned to someone.

On a somewhat more insane note: why does our animal list include a worn flaming magpie?

I can't find it in our livestock list, so I guess it's a phantom worn flaming magpie. Yeah, that makes sense.

Oh, and another thing... it appears one of our Giant Hamsters liquified a Rhinocerous and is now wearing it's flesh.

Although to be fair, the giant hamster isn't the only animal completely covered in liquid rhinocerous sinew. Every animal in that group there is...

... what the fuck did I just type?

PS: The rhinocerous in question is still alive, too. I just... I don't... even... just... what.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:50:21 am by QuQuasar »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: October 21, 2016, 04:56:48 am »

Is that the same rhino in the Breadbowl fashion editorial?

PS: Add it to the quotable quotes section in the OP.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:59:31 am by HMetal2001 »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Need overseers! Apply within!
« Reply #1314 on: October 21, 2016, 05:55:21 am »

:o
That... Is... What?...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: October 21, 2016, 09:02:38 am »

For Alaknikot, an artifact silver mace, was given to the first dwarf what shows interest in mace (dabbling mace).

And I think Kastoltegir, an artifact adamatine spear was given to Taupe who was already a legendary speardwarf. 

So I think the spear should be given to the highest speardwarf who has not been attached to or named a weapon yet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: October 21, 2016, 10:21:37 am »

Big Sibrek was actually in two squads for a while. She's a legendary speardwarf and a legendary axedwarf. She had Taupe's spear for a while.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: October 21, 2016, 12:02:51 pm »

I thought of the merits of Continue vs End with no definite conclusion but leaning to continue. 

One point worth mentioning, is that Breadbowl is actually getting sieges which is quite rare for a world-gen originating from v40.

Comparing to a recent v43.05 fort I am currently playing in it's 4th year, with modded neighbors as hostiles, the sieges expectations looks to be a bust.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: October 21, 2016, 12:23:23 pm »

I cast my vote for continue. Possibly hiding behind walls for a few years or whatever it will take to clean the fort up. As I mentioned during my half year I am perfectly fine with using DFHack to solve FPS related things.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: October 21, 2016, 02:13:11 pm »

Sorry about repost, but I propose a third option:

C) Restart from Migrant's half-year save. And give Luneya the reins, as he (or his dwarf, rather) will have the nightmare of Ongul killing 63 dwarves. Then the order to barricade the unguarded bridge should be given.

Opinions?
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 105