Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Bring Your Own Picture 3 - This Exhibit is Closed - GAME OVER SCUM VICTORY!  (Read 47305 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Your Own Picture 3 - Day 1 - Day at the Museum
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2015, 01:30:16 pm »

Everyone: Summarize your approach to Mafia in one sentence.
I try to keep a close eye on everybody, and when somebody begins acting particularly suspicious, I apply the pressure and try to gauge their scumminess before making a decision.

-snip-
If you're so worried about us "not keeling over and dying by D4", why not just tell us straight? Why put it in a list of claims, a list in which you outright state you're lying on at least one point? This seems more like an attempt to validate an attempted shield against investigations than a warning about a possibly deadly autoskill.

To Everyone:
Do you think a large number of shenanigans are going to happen in this game's nights?
Yes. Yes, I do think that.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2015, 01:33:15 pm »

I have a hunch that NQT is some kind of serial killer, trying to protect himself from death by any means so he can win. And by posting the claims he creates for himself a refuge in audacity in the process.
I could be wrong, but this hypothesis seems likely to me at the moment.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2015, 01:38:45 pm »

-snip-
If you're so worried about us "not keeling over and dying by D4", why not just tell us straight? Why put it in a list of claims, a list in which you outright state you're lying on at least one point? This seems more like an attempt to validate an attempted shield against investigations than a warning about a possibly deadly autoskill.
I'll be silly and attempt a meta-answer.
Tawa: I don't think your reasoning here would help with the counters that follow them. Knowing NQT, his note there is just to provoke thought (and then brutally question those afterwards) rather than give a predictable and obvious plan.  I seriously advice against overstating his boundaries...as well as your own expectations here.

But I am very curious as to why you check out only one way his stuff can be perceived.

Also hiii! Nice to see you in Mafia! :)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2015, 01:42:24 pm »

Tiruin
Y u being silly :I
I'm being serious! Mafia is serious business.

Also I pick Claim 5. Does that also pertain to itself?!
Maybe!

I'll just ignore all those claims until later on in-game. Ask me about that statement. :I
(Not really 'ignore' but more like 'skim over')
Why?

Fallacy
... NQT has nearly literally blown my mind. This is worse than what happened pre-game!
The WIFOM is strong in me. Do you think this is indicative of being scum?

Do you think a large number of shenanigans are going to happen in this game's nights?
Yes, it's pretty certain.

I have a hunch that NQT is some kind of serial killer, trying to protect himself from death by any means so he can win. And by posting the claims he creates for himself a refuge in audacity in the process.
I like that theory, that's exactly the sort of thing I'd be thinking if I were you. For the record though, I am town.

Tawa
I judge my list of claims to be a sufficient warning if a warning is necessary. I don't want to full claim because withholding information is a powerful advantage. Investigations aren't the only kind of night action, but given that the infection rate is low and only triggers on the following night this shouldn't be a sufficient dissuasion for a committed investigator if they truly suspected me.

Do you think my list of claims was particularly suspicious?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2015, 01:44:01 pm »

What the fuck am I even doing Find scum, yell at scum until scum slips, lynch scum.

To Everyone:
This is a BYO game, so yes.

NQT: You know, it used to be that 4maskwolf was the one we could expect to pull crazy gambits while you were all about analyzing. Next thing I know, it'll be 4mask doing the vote pattern analysis later in this game. Furthermore, would you like some cheese with that wine?

FoU: How do you plan on finding scum in this game? What did you learn from the BM?

Flarbot: How would you play a survivor in such a power-heavy game?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »

I'll just ignore all those claims until later on in-game. Ask me about that statement. :I
(Not really 'ignore' but more like 'skim over')
Why?
Because its not much I can build on other than 'hmmm, NQT said this early on' and use as a future lead. :)
That and I'm tired. Tired after replying to a 3+ day backlog of internet related stoofs .-.

And...I seriously don't see the logic of pondering much on all that for the present time. :P It's like staring at the Gordian Knot without using a sharp weapon--it is possible, but unraveling it will take time and patience, something that will come in the later days as the knot unravels itself. So to speak, in your case.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2015, 01:51:04 pm »

...You drew that conclusion with 1 post's worth of information and half an hour. I find that hard to believe, Fallacy.
Tawa: I don't think your reasoning here would help with the counters that follow them. Knowing NQT, his note there is just to provoke thought (and then brutally question those afterwards) rather than give a predictable and obvious plan.  I seriously advice against overstating his boundaries...as well as your own expectations here.

But I am very curious as to why you check out only one way his stuff can be perceived.

Also hiii! Nice to see you in Mafia! :)
*waves*

...urp. Why does the entire metagame here have to revolve around everybody judging everybody else on how they've acted in past games? This is why I shied away from the subforum last time I tried to get into Mafia.
Do you think my list of claims was particularly suspicious?
Well, it seems to me that the "at least" part of Claim 5 is definitely in play, since a combination of any 3 of those would never, ever, ever get through two days of playtesting and balance checking, and it's not unlikely that your list has nothing to do with your actual role in the game and is merely a ruse.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2015, 01:52:04 pm »

Y'know what?  I've got take-home exam writer's block.  Let's throw one more post in here before trying to stop procrastinating.

CLAIM 1

I have a night power that can test one or more of NQT's claims.

CLAIM 2

The results of such a test would, in whole or in part, be released to the public automatically.

CLAIM 3

I may carry out this test tonight.

NQT: Am I telling the truth?  Do you think I will perform this test tonight?  How does this make you feel?

Fallacy: After reading my claims and NQT's claims, what do you think?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2015, 02:01:10 pm »

Teneb
The one thing I consistently try and do is experiment with new approaches. You can still expect some vote pattern analysis later on.

4maskwolf
I'm looking forward to seeing what your angle is.

Tiruin
I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the game once you are fresh and rested and ready to hunt scum.

Tawa
Well, it seems to me that the "at least" part of Claim 5 is definitely in play, since a combination of any 3 of those would never, ever, ever get through two days of playtesting and balance checking, and it's not unlikely that your list has nothing to do with your actual role in the game and is merely a ruse.
I like that you're giving this some thought. At least one of those claims was true though.

Jack
NQT: Am I telling the truth?  Do you think I will perform this test tonight?  How does this make you feel?
My first thought is that you're softclaiming a night kill to test claim 4. If so, what's your motivation for doing so? I don't think you will: if you're scum what would you gain in the risk of infection? I feel enthused that you're actually talking about something interesting rather than the usual "if you were a biscuit, who would you jail?" kind of RVS questions.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2015, 02:07:51 pm »

My first thought is that you're softclaiming a night kill to test claim 4.
Interesting that you head there immediately.  Scared for your life, my friend?

Because I'm modifying my third claim a bit now: I will carry out the test tonight, unless I can find a better move to make.

...and leaving now.  This time for sure.  See you all Saturday.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2015, 02:33:23 pm »

My first thought is that you're softclaiming a night kill to test claim 4.
Interesting that you head there immediately.  Scared for your life, my friend?
I find it a bit boring to die during N1, but it was just the most straightforward thing someone could check without positing you having a game-unique ability. It's certain that at least a few players, mafia included, have a night kill.

Because I'm modifying my third claim a bit now: I will carry out the test tonight, unless I can find a better move to make.
I'm genuinely intrigued as to what it could be.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2015, 02:58:15 pm »

FoU: How do you plan on finding scum in this game? What did you learn from the BM?
How do I plan on finding scum? Reading the posts, locating what seems suspicious(like NQT's madness), then launching all-out attacks with my posts. As for what I learned from the BM... refuge in audacity is a very risky tactic. (I'm definitely not going to spam "I am town" in every post now.) In addition, I can... sense the gist of a player now. I know what a "read" is now. Overall, although there aren't very many specific lessons I learned from BM that I didn't already know, I gained valuable experience that will help me in this game.

Fallacy: After reading my claims and NQT's claims, what do you think?
Considering the complexity of NQT's claim, my own knowledge of my role, and general expectations- the nights will probably have all sorts of craziness within.
This game is certainly more complex than BM, but thus far, it's not too bad...

...You drew that conclusion with 1 post's worth of information and half an hour. I find that hard to believe, Fallacy.
Well, let me reason it out.

First up, although it doesn't necessarily mean he's a sk and not a different anti-town role, it seems more likely to me than the other options.
... NQT has nearly literally blown my mind. This is worse than what happened pre-game!
The WIFOM is strong in me. Do you think this is indicative of being scum?
WIFOM, as we know, isn't desirable to townies- it is the confusion that interferes with logical thinking. Given your experience, I think you're most likely causing WIFOM on purpose. Of course, you could be town causing WIFOM to make others think you're a sk or whatnot... more WIFOM, blast it.
So yes. NQT is causing mass confusion. I could do with some explanations of your motivations for your WIFOM bomb.

NQT, why the WIFOM, if you're town?

As for why he's an sk or whatnot instead of scum: His claim. If it's real, the abilities it has seem better for an SK than a mafioso. If his claim is false, still, causing WIFOM.
Really, if NQT had more posts right now, I think I would vote him instead of using the Finger of Suspicion. But for now I'm reserving judgment.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2015, 03:05:51 pm »

Well, let me reason it out.

First up, although it doesn't necessarily mean he's a sk and not a different anti-town role, it seems more likely to me than the other options.
Why?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2015, 03:25:49 pm »

I'm going to be away until Saturday.  Finals.  I'll just leave one question:

Joke answer: There's a needle in a haystack, so bring a big magnet and a team of dogs.

Serious answer: Like a courtroom, but everyone's judge, accused, and prosecution; so come prepared to defend, prosecute, and judge.

-snip-
Why the fishing so early? I call your claiming fishing because I almost told you about my role in response to some of those claims.

Like falacy pointed out and you admitted, this is certainly five whole servings of WIFOM. I'm wondering why you did it, but also apprehensions to vote you, due to your claims #s 2 and 3. And even if those are false, #4 makes it somewhat unlikely that we'd get any information if we did lynch you. #5 cannot be false, at least, due to a paradox if it were. #1 worries me a little, not for my own safety, but simply because there are probably a lot of people with night-actions. Probably everyone has one, in fact, I'd guess.

To Everyone:
Answer unclear, try again later.
(I can't say for sure, it seems likely given the nature of BYO, but ZU could have made most of the roles something low-powered)

Flarbot: How would you play a survivor in such a power-heavy game?
Same way I'd play town: Try to avoid being lynched over nothing, try to find threats to my well being, TRY to not do anything that causes anyone with a night-kill to want to kill me.

...urp. Why does the entire metagame here have to revolve around everybody judging everybody else on how they've acted in past games? This is why I shied away from the subforum last time I tried to get into Mafia.
To be fair there's only three people that I can remember well enough to judge based on old games. Everyone else I have to judge in a vacuum. And I honestly try to give those other three my best shot at judging only in that game, not based on old games.
Those three people being tiruin, NQT, and Shakerag. That's in ascending order. I know Tiruin's going to give novices a hard time, not because she means to, but because of mutual misunderstandings. I know NQT's always going to pull something unexpected out of a hat, usually some form of analysis or something to drive that analysis. And I know Shakerag is going to be rude and grumpy, with a bit of silly thrown in. Do those sound like traits that I can judge whether or not those three are mafia based on anyways?
I found it's easier just to ignore previous games.

-snop-
Dammit with all these claims. At least this is just a way of saying "Hey everyone, I'm going to test NQT's claims tonight!".
This is also why I called NQT's claims fishing, too. It got you to admit you have an investigative night power - or at least a night power of some sort, it may be a kill instead given claim 2.

RVS Questions
Tiruin Let's say you had an ability that could silence someone for the rest of the day and keep them from using day abilities. Who would you use it on, if you had to use it right now?

Teneb If you had an effigy of me, what would you be doing with it?

TheDarkStar Same question that I gave Tiruin.

Deus Asmoth Same questions that I gave Jack AT.

FalacyofUrist Same question that I gave Teneb.

Lidku What do you think of the game so far? Does it look as "not hard" as you hoped, or a bit harder?

Jack AT-ST What purpose do the questions to TDS, DA, and FoU have? Why would I ask them?

Tawarochir What kind of question would you least like to answer?

4maskwolf I don't hate you. Are you still there? Activated. Who are you?

Notquitethere If your role had a form of units that you can gain through the game, what unit would you most like out of the following list: Dollars, Shakerags, photographs, data samples, mana points, minions, shadow clones.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2015, 03:33:25 pm »

Tawarochir What kind of question would you least like to answer?
I don't really have a preference from question to question. How about you?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31