Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race, USAA: 1972 Design  (Read 9297 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, USAA: 1971 Revision
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2015, 05:28:41 am »

Oh yeah I just reread and realised we have three missiles and that's the worst of them. Revision suggestion then is:

Install a ramjet on the Type 600 ARM so it can be fired at high speed from greater distances. Redesign the radar equipment, taking advantage of our engineers latest advances in electronics to downsize and more tightly pack the components.
While I like both of those ideas, I don't think we can do both of them at once. I think we should do the 600 first, as it's currently useless, while the MRAAMs might be a bit bulky but should still work enough to prevent the 'everyone dies on the first pass' issue we've been having.

(Also, Radar? The MRAAMs use infrared sensors?)
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2015, 05:37:02 am »

The ARM uses radar detection

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2015, 05:42:38 am »

The Type 600 uses radar-detection to hone in on ground targets, hence why it is the bulkiest:

- Type 600 ARM: The weapon is bulky because of the radar-detecting system included in the body of the missile, which also reduces its range very badly. Pilots are very apprehensive about using it because of how low they'll need to fly in order to deploy it. The Type 20 Interceptor has to be modified with a central mount in order to carry this missile, because it weighs just as much as two MRAAMS. The missile is far too slow to be used in air-to-air engagements, and only anti-ground warheads are developed for it. [1 Chemical, 1 Ore, Inexpensive]

A ramjet would inexpensively give it more range, as more speed means it can be pushed further. To make super-clear, my vote is:

Make efficiency improvements and stream-line the radar-tech to decrease bulk and add a ramjet to the Type 600. If we can only do one of these adjustments, just add the ramjet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2015, 05:46:56 am »

If we can do three, add software to allow the missile to glide to it's target even if it runs out of fuel.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2015, 05:50:19 am »

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Glider technology might be more useful than jets actually.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2015, 08:36:16 am »

The Type 600 uses radar-detection to hone in on ground targets, hence why it is the bulkiest:

- Type 600 ARM: The weapon is bulky because of the radar-detecting system included in the body of the missile, which also reduces its range very badly. Pilots are very apprehensive about using it because of how low they'll need to fly in order to deploy it. The Type 20 Interceptor has to be modified with a central mount in order to carry this missile, because it weighs just as much as two MRAAMS. The missile is far too slow to be used in air-to-air engagements, and only anti-ground warheads are developed for it. [1 Chemical, 1 Ore, Inexpensive]

A ramjet would inexpensively give it more range, as more speed means it can be pushed further. To make super-clear, my vote is:

Make efficiency improvements and stream-line the radar-tech to decrease bulk and add a ramjet to the Type 600. If we can only do one of these adjustments, just add the ramjet.
If we can do three, add software to allow the missile to glide to it's target even if it runs out of fuel.
+1 from me.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2015, 12:10:24 pm »

Yep, formally vote what Happery quoted above.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2015, 12:18:34 pm »

Supporting that.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2015, 01:23:34 pm »

+1 from me.
+1

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2015, 09:24:01 pm »

Revision: Type 600 ARM
The T-600's rocket engine is replaced with a ramjet, which is more fuel efficient at the speeds the missile is meant to go at, increasing its flight time, and thus range, by a good amount.

Streamlining doesn't go well at all. Tested editions are too flimsy and have a tendency to snap in two very frequently, forcing frustrated engineers to cut this feature and stick with the old hull in order to keep the project moving forward.

Programmers working on the powerless-guidance algorithm are removed from the team on suspicion of treason. They aren't expected to return, and their replacements aren't due until next year, the unfinished code is also confiscated, thus this part of the design is put on indefinite hold.

The missile has to be fired at a particular altitude and speed in order to be correctly delivered, which bothers civilian theorists who think the enemy will quickly learn the specific range of altitude the missile has to be deployed at and somehow take advantage of the fact, but veteran test pilots on the other hand are unconcerned and don't think this will have an effect on combat situations. Pilots are pleased with the new range, despite the problems with delivering some of the unfinished features, which gives them more time for evasive action after firing against TVM radars.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:31:57 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, USAA: 1971 Production
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2015, 12:03:54 am »

So just waiting on the other side now, right? Man, it feels strange to be the ones done early.
Forenia Forever!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2015, 12:39:45 pm »

*rolls dice*

Civilian factories are far too busy producing Quality Amerikan Bicycles for any production to be allocated towards a bonus revision this year.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2015, 10:08:18 pm »

Leafy has been possessed, he now has a creepy dieneisse accent (British.)I got it! A bike with a rocket and wings strapped to it! That shall be our next project

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2015, 03:31:41 pm »

So... while we're waiting, what do we think we should do for our next design project?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2015, 03:33:29 pm »

Depends on what they design, but probably a space based weapon of some kind.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11