Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race OOC  (Read 13456 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race OOC
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 07:04:15 am »

We should still have a list of everything we actually have, if for no other reason then so we can actually conduct informed planning. I almost tried to design an orbital capsule this turn, and given we already have them even if they aren't on our list that would have been a dreadful waste.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 07:09:08 am »

As I said in the IC thread for the USAA, if I had known that there was gonna be combat on the moon I would have suggested something for it. As it is, with no warning, we had that fiasco which cost the lives of six brave cosmonauts.

I mean, if the stuff was thought up and added after the game started, I wouldent have minded if we had jsut gotten it now, as then we could have planned for it, but with no warning, well, it just is a bit of a shock.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 07:38:32 am »

As I said in the IC thread for the USAA, if I had known that there was gonna be combat on the moon I would have suggested something for it. As it is, with no warning, we had that fiasco which cost the lives of six brave cosmonauts.

I mean, if the stuff was thought up and added after the game started, I wouldent have minded if we had jsut gotten it now, as then we could have planned for it, but with no warning, well, it just is a bit of a shock.
This, plus infinity.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 07:59:23 am »

Poor Gunnin...Looks like the USSA is trying to weaponize complaints :p.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 10:26:12 am »

On the other hand, it was like we were being shown a horse, told that was the best we had, and then finding out there's a hovercraft in the shed.

I mean, the Confederation is launching missions to the Moon, by no reasoning is anything that can launch a manned mission to the Moon a small rocket.

The description is :
- Valiance 2-Stage Rocket: A smallish liquid fuel booster rocket, for launching small payloads into LEO. [2 Ores, 3 Chemicals, Very Expensive]
However, the Confederacy landed a 3 man mission on the Moon, which would require a payload greater than the Saturn V. And I don't call 120 ton to LEO tiny.

Not that our rocket should be able to reach the moon either.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:34:21 am by 10ebbor10 »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 10:42:37 am »

I second the call for more information. At the moment we don't really know what it is that we have to design and what it is that we already have.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 12:33:58 pm »

Keep your pants on for 5 hours. I'm at work.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 01:06:29 pm »

Afternoon lunch break double post: Okay, I was really really confused about all this junk about me hiding designs or something, and then I realized that I forgot to put the capsule entries into all the tech spoilers... It was an accident. I don't know what you guys want me to do about it aside from just doing the whole 1970 turn over again with all new rolls. I'll put the capsule entries in when I get home from work.

Yes, automated entry is easier. More g-tolerance, smaller capsule. G-forces mean that thecosmonauts don't do much during landing anyway.
What's important is that despite knowing how to make reentry vehicles, you still need to design a capsule for the film that will fit inside your satellite, so it can send pictures, which is why you don't just automatically have this technology. Because its not the same as a manned capsule.

On the other hand, it was like we were being shown a horse, told that was the best we had, and then finding out there's a hovercraft in the shed.
I mean, the Confederation is launching missions to the Moon, by no reasoning is anything that can launch a manned mission to the Moon a small rocket.

The description is :
- Valiance 2-Stage Rocket: A smallish liquid fuel booster rocket, for launching small payloads into LEO. [2 Ores, 3 Chemicals, Very Expensive]
However, the Confederacy landed a 3 man mission on the Moon, which would require a payload greater than the Saturn V. And I don't call 120 ton to LEO tiny.

That...was an accident, and I apologize again for it. However I'd like to point out that neither side knew they had capsules.

How can you compare it to the Saturn V when you don't know anything specific about its specs? I only said it was "small".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 01:19:43 pm »

Afternoon lunch break double post: Okay, I was really really confused about all this junk about me hiding designs or something, and then I realized that I forgot to put the capsule entries into all the tech spoilers, but remembered to write about them, somehow... It was an accident. I don't know what you guys want me to do about it aside from just doing the whole 1970 turn over again with all new rolls. I'll put the capsule entries in when I get home from work.

Yes, automated entry is easier. More g-tolerance, smaller capsule. G-forces mean that thecosmonauts don't do much during landing anyway.
What's important is that despite knowing how to make reentry vehicles, you still need to design a capsule for the film that will fit inside your satellite, so it can send pictures, which is why you don't just automatically have this technology. Because its not the same as a manned capsule.

The description is :

That...was an accident, and I apologize again for it. However I'd like to point out that neither side knew they had capsules.

How can you compare it to the Saturn V when you don't know anything specific about its specs? I only said it was "small".

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 01:28:57 pm »

Afternoon lunch break double post: Okay, I was really really confused about all this junk about me hiding designs or something, and then I realized that I forgot to put the capsule entries into all the tech spoilers... It was an accident. I don't know what you guys want me to do about it aside from just doing the whole 1970 turn over again with all new rolls. I'll put the capsule entries in when I get home from work.

We just wanted to have all the info.

How can you compare it to the Saturn V when you don't know anything specific about its specs? I only said it was "small

We know that it sent 3 men to the surface of the Moon. You can't do that with something that launches a small payload to Low Earth Orbit.

Unless you do an Earth Orbit assembly, but for something that brings a small payload into LEO (which would be about 1 ton), that would mean doing about a 300-600 launches to LEO to assemble the vehicle. be impossible.

Unless they have another rocket, they shouldn't be on the Moon.  Hell, they should barely be in Space. The mercury capsules weighted like 1.5 ton.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:48:59 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 04:12:02 pm »

The description is :

...And then looking that free horse directly in the mouth and complaining about it  :P.

So your entire problem is that he described the rockets as "relatively small"? That is really, really, nitpicky. We are likely going to build huuuuge ships in the future and not likely to go smaller, so why not call them relatively small?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 04:14:32 pm »

The description is :

...And then looking that free horse directly in the mouth and complaining about it  :P.

So your entire problem is that he described the rockets as "relatively small"? That is really, really, nitpicky. We are likely going to build huuuuge ships in the future and not likely to go smaller, so why not call them relatively small? Its like saying "That nuclear explosion was relatively small...", the explosion is still huuuuge compared to conventional ones, but is small as far as nuclear weapons go.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 04:19:57 pm »

The point is that he describes something as relatively small when it's relatively big, and in fact big enough to launch entire space stations. Your example fails because you have something that is small for a nuclear explosion, where here we have something that is huge for a rocket.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 04:27:58 pm »

The point is that he describes something as relatively small when it's relatively big, and in fact big enough to launch entire space stations. Your example fails because you have something that is small for a nuclear explosion, where here we have something that is huge for a rocket.

It doesn't have to be. This is a sci-fi game where the God is saying that it is not. In real life, the Saturn V is what got men to the moon. Here, it is something relatively small. Whether that means all other Rockets are bigger here than in our world or this rocket is smaller then ours doesn't really matter. You are making way to much fuss over the word "small".

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 04:36:12 pm »

I'm making a fuzz about the fact that we were never told what small meant, and that in this case, it's bloody huge, which is contrary to any common sense.

These kind of design games rely on the correct conveyance of information to make informed descision. If the game isn't logical, then there's no game, merely a series of opposing dice throws.

It's not a nitpick, as it's a very fundamental flaw in the game.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:42:10 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9