Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race OOC  (Read 13441 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race OOC
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2015, 05:34:18 pm »

So lets keep everything how it is and have tech adjusted and listed to reflect that.

It would be unfair to go from balanced to losing horribly because of gm messup and retcon.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2015, 05:35:22 pm »

You're not exactly mining stuff from empty space in LEO either. No, the resources represent gains you make on Earth as a result of your control of space. Don't ask me why owning the Moon gets you more ore, it just does.
Fair enough.

No, we are getting the resources on Earth that we get for controlling the moon. Which is why we get it for controlling the atmosphere. We would have won anyway, unless you had planned on developing a moon fighting thing for some reason.
Honestly? If we'd known that there was going to be fighting in orbit and on the moon I'd have probably wanted to design a space rifle or something, because a machine pistol that promotes rate of fire over accuracy is a horrible weapon in Zero-G and the Moon. All that kickback is bad enough under Earth's gravity...
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2015, 05:43:57 pm »

You're not exactly mining stuff from empty space in LEO either. No, the resources represent gains you make on Earth as a result of your control of space. Don't ask me why owning the Moon gets you more ore, it just does.
Fair enough.

No, we are getting the resources on Earth that we get for controlling the moon. Which is why we get it for controlling the atmosphere. We would have won anyway, unless you had planned on developing a moon fighting thing for some reason.
Honestly? If we'd known that there was going to be fighting in orbit and on the moon I'd have probably wanted to design a space rifle or something, because a machine pistol that promotes rate of fire over accuracy is a horrible weapon in Zero-G and the Moon. All that kickback is bad enough under Earth's gravity...

Probably a bad idea to tell me your ideas  :P.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 05:54:41 pm »

Pretty sure that the sidearms weren't designed for space use, which is why they're inappropriate for it.

And yeah the rocket information would be good.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2015, 05:55:03 pm »

If you really think 'our gun sucks, as anyone could figure out by a basic consideration of how low gravity works and how the gun is discribed, and therefor we should think about replacing it' is valuable military intelligence I'm going to be forced to laugh at you.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2015, 06:07:56 pm »

Not to mention, with space being space, that the gun would fail to cool down and might start melting after a few bursts.

Fair enough.
Simple answer, Big rocket intimidates small countries.

So lets keep everything how it is and have tech adjusted and listed to reflect that.

It would be unfair to go from balanced to losing horribly because of gm messup and retcon.

Problem is, that negates your entire starting disadvantage. It means you start with a SAM, better fighter, better rocket, better spacegun. Only a shortage of spacemen saves us.

I mean having a bigger rocket is pointless if the small one is already huge.

Actually? Yes. Not all in one go, but most space stations are modular anyway. If it can lift a capsule capable of making a moon landing and then coming back to space, it can lift a space station module up. It'd probably take a separate trip per module and then either some work on automatic docking technology or sending some people up there to put everything together, but it'd be totally possible.

Actually, it's Yes. And all in one go. Skylab was enormous. It weighted 80 tonnes, and had 1/3 the volume of the ISS. It was four times bigger than early Russian space stations. In fact, it was only 10% smaller than the entire Mir station.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2015, 06:13:17 pm »

Problem is, that negates your entire starting disadvantage. It means you start with a SAM, better fighter, better rocket, better spacegun. Only a shortage of spacemen saves us.

I mean having a bigger rocket is pointless if the small one is already huge.

What are you talking about? You won both the LEO's pretty handily. We didn't invent anything that has been applied yet, so our default equipment got us pretty close, especially when you take the rolls into account.

If having a bigger rocket is pointless, why do you keep focusing on rocket size? This conversation got boring a long time ago. Lets add more innuendo to make it interesting again!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2015, 06:16:16 pm »

You won both the LEO's pretty handily. We didn't invent anything that has been applied yet, so our default equipment got us pretty close, especially when you take the rolls into account.

We only won, as I note, because off the plentifull cosmonauts.

If having a bigger rocket is pointless, why do you keep focusing on rocket size?

Because having a bigger rocket is pointless beyond the point where you can do everything you want with it. Hence, I try to make rockets not pointless by keeping them below that point.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2015, 06:18:02 pm »

You won both the LEO's pretty handily. We didn't invent anything that has been applied yet, so our default equipment got us pretty close, especially when you take the rolls into account.

We only won, as I note, because off the plentifull cosmonauts.

If having a bigger rocket is pointless, why do you keep focusing on rocket size?

Because having a bigger rocket is pointless beyond the point where you can do everything you want with it. Hence, I try to make rockets not pointless by keeping them below that point.

Then it is a pretty huge disadvantage then, isn't it?

And good job injecting that innuendo :P.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »

PTW.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2015, 07:14:55 pm »

Not that any of this will matter if we keep on getting no votes or new people joining the USAA...
Forenia Forever!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2015, 07:34:54 pm »

I'm fixing stuff right now, but yeah I won't be able to update today if nothing happens in USAA's thread.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2015, 08:14:53 pm »

When one side wins, will the game end? Or will it shift into a more intersteller focus with maybe aliens?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2015, 08:36:24 pm »

When one side wins, will the game end? Or will it shift into a more intersteller focus with maybe aliens?
Aliens? Never. Interstellar war? Maybe. I thought about a sci-fi game a long time ago when playing Aseaheru's design games, and so did Sensei more recently. We the both of us agreed that a design game is too difficult without real history to draw on (I'm not a fan of using a timeline as RULES, but they are a good guideline). Likely what I'd do if either side ever won is, instead of making a new thread, simply advance time a little bit and illustrate a new conflict. And things would basically just leave off as they were. Who knows though, maybe this war will go on for 100s of years, if we're lucky.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2015, 08:53:06 pm »

I could always provide cultures/races for aliens if humans get boring down the line, worldbuilding is fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9