Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's the state of the current build? Stable? Balanced? Polished?  (Read 4153 times)

AzuredreamsTX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I've been using some old build I have to dig up every time I return to the game since the new build is usually wonky, I'm wondering how the state of the current build is though currently.

Can anyone fill me in?

Much appreciated

Csponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the state of the current build? Stable? Balanced? Polished?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:36:12 am »

I haven't ever crashed in this build during fortress mode, though I could just be lucky.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:43:49 am »

The only bad crash I know of is when you try to build in the branches of a tree.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:50:43 am »

Thieves and sieges are broken or at least dented: the thieves of both goblin and kobold are now gone from the game and some sort of pathing issues keeps war far away from your fort except on the rarest occasions. This version also has the worst fps of any release and many people have complained about the game falling apart after a few years of game-play due to CPU lag.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 11:58:08 am »

Speak for yourself, Bastiongate is 34 years old.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 01:28:47 pm »

Thieves and sieges are broken or at least dented: the thieves of both goblin and kobold are now gone from the game and some sort of pathing issues keeps war far away from your fort except on the rarest occasions. This version also has the worst fps of any release and many people have complained about the game falling apart after a few years of game-play due to CPU lag.
This is an excellent summary, and mirrors my experiences with 0.40.x, up to and including 0.40.24. (current)

For me, it's certainly possible to have lag free fortresses, but not without contriving a bunch of features away.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 01:56:31 pm »

Current build is stable, as DF goes.  The big thing as was mentioned; sieges are few and far between, unless you embark literally adjacent to a hostile city or tower.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 03:23:29 pm »

That's not true.  I didn't found my fortress anywhere near a hostile city/tower and I've been sieged by hundreds of enemies, over the course of several game-years.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 04:04:16 pm »

The current build is perfectly stable (except when tree branches crash the game). Issues include a lack of sieges (except when there aren't) and faster FPS death (in certain situations not necessarily relating to PC spec).

While some people aren't receiving kobold visitors for some reason, I think everyone can agree that baby snatchers appear to be universally missing.

In other words, Dwarf Fortress is currently in alpha and issues should be expected.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 04:38:38 pm »

Thieves and sieges are broken or at least dented: the thieves of both goblin and kobold are now gone from the game
No they aren't--I got a kobold thief with the latest build a few weeks back. We spotted him before he even crossed the river, but it existed.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 04:53:25 pm »

In other words, Dwarf Fortress is currently in alpha and issues should be expected.

Indeed.  And it's a complex game.  If you generate a pocket world with a short, golden-age history, maybe there won't be a lot of hostile forces that are going to go after your fort.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 05:42:32 pm »

Thieves and sieges are broken or at least dented: the thieves of both goblin and kobold are now gone from the game
No they aren't--I got a kobold thief with the latest build a few weeks back. We spotted him before he even crossed the river, but it existed.

Yeah, I see both snatchers and thieves with some regularity. Not quite as often as in 34.11, and they still can't be assed to try to siege me, but these sorts of folks still show their faces at least once a year.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 06:41:26 pm »

I've had thieves too, just gotta be close enough to a cave with surviving kobolds.

I've encountered babysnatchers crossing the map in adventurer mode too, and obviously they exist because there are generally tons of kidnapped kids to rescue.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 12:09:04 am »

Yeah, Kobold thieves are not hard to come by.  I started a quick test game without selecting a site near anything in particular and I had thieves raiding, early on.

Also "Polished?" in this title is amusing.  Not only is it alpha, it's Dwarf Fortress. ;)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 07:58:39 pm »

State, you ask. DF is perma-alpha. There will be always something broken here, considering fact that Toady prioritizes new features over bugfixing.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?
Pages: [1] 2