Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Under the Alien Stars-Burned World  (Read 11703 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Alien Stars-Actually started! Yay~
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2015, 10:45:06 am »

Camilla watch the humanoid-alien move about sluggishly. As with most people, and it probably says alot about her, the first thing she calculates from their appearance, is the gravity and atmosphere of their home world. In this case, she assumes it slightly heavier then earth-gravity, a world where growth is rampant enough to support intelligent non-mammalian life, with a bright and hot young blue star, that induces rapid mutation. She might ask him more later, as these are only guesses.

She tilts her head to one side on her sleek neck (almost like a hungry bird) and hazards to speak, her voice fairly pleasant and smooth. Years of communicating through vacuum teaches you to enunciate clearly.

"...I'd wait at least an hour, before eating. Hydrate yourself, first, and you may wish to visit a refresher. You are going to feel hungry, but you really need to restore your bodies chemical balance first. Cryo slows your body processes, but it doesn't entirely stop them. You could say you have some catching up to do, biologically speaking.

Can I ask your name, your purpose? We didn't have much time to get acquainted before, really...or perhaps I've just forgotten. I'm still clearing the moondust from the dark side of my mind...my name is Camilla Rinaldo. Engineering, Communications, Diplomatic experience."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2015, 10:58:00 am »

((Still interested, yes, but I thought you were going to only include the first four at once. Oh, well, it means I the fifth person (as far as I know) am happy to be included!))
((nope, was intending on including all interested once I got side tracked with life and forgot to close sign ups.

Also, I accept full blame for having Camilla percolate in your head heh.))

As you are waking up and talking, a rusty and old fashioned humanoid robot saunters into the cyro-room.  It is holding an empty coffee cup with #1 written on it in marker.

The maintenance and crew robot, which calls itself Mac is an ancient model.  Far older than the ship itself, he was originally designed to work in hazardous environments with this model being built to operate the Mercury solar farms.  Considered disposable even during their prime time in the automation industry, Mac was not built to last much more than a year at the best.  He was partially melted during his service at the Mercury Solar farms many years ago, leading a slightly droopy appearance to his face as well as a glass-like quality to his exterior rust red plating.  Not only surviving whatever catastrophic damage was caused to him long ago, Mac has never been maintained or repaired except by his own hands and has such contains a very large number of quirks.

Mac raises the empty cup to the slot that serves as a speaker on his head and makes a drinking motion.  As it brings the cup back down from it's face, the robot nods at you. "Morning."
Nom nom nom

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2015, 11:11:26 am »

Camilla was distressed at Macs state. Lunars uses many robots to help them work, and they tended to treat their machines with care-no use throwing away good money, after all, and anything that could think couldn't be thought of as disposable. She was used to interacting with higher than the average intelligence machines-she had been raised at times by a Robonurse, after all-and, she could speak to Mac respectfully, not merely as an object.

"And, a good morning to you, Mac. How did you handle the trip? No glitches or malfunctions, I hope?" She said, hopefully.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2015, 11:18:58 am »

(Still in. Just traveling today, can't post anything long til tommorow.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2015, 11:29:11 am »

"Well, the usual you know.  Bloody nav-unit flew us through a micro meteor swarm when I was outside doing maintenance.  I swear sometimes that thing is attempting to kill me...."  He takes another sip of his non-existent coffee.  "What about you, how did being iced treat you?"  Mac has seemed to pick up a lot of the speech and attitude patterns from his previous owners as far as you can tell, the previous ships owner was actually killed by a micro-meteor strike long before you in turn acquired the vessel for use in xeno-hunting.  As far as you can tell, none of the computers or robotic components of the ship particularly like each other either and despite none of them being designed with AI level intelligence or functionality you can swear most of them have a personality of their own.
Nom nom nom

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2015, 11:39:37 am »

You can call me Hector, he responds to Camilla. We have met, once before that cyro trip. I shall visit the refresher when I please.

He stops nibbling on his snack for a second to grab a canteen and swig down some fluids, before ignoring the rest of the device and chewing on the preserves again. When Mac comes out with his coffee cup, he struggles to form words to speak out loud.

"Wh-what is needing this morning, Mac? Su-Su-Surely you are not needing of me to find you some pa-parts for once?"
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2015, 11:46:46 am »

"No... no we ran outta spare parts before you lot even went to sleep.  S-s-s-s...."  Mac makes a grumbling sound and wanders out of the break room coffee mug still in hand, the smell of burning plastic hangs in the air characteristically as he passes.
Nom nom nom

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2015, 11:51:19 am »

"What about you, how did being iced treat you?"

"The usual. Strange dreams. I can't remember the details. Handled it better some, certainly." She commented.

You can call me Hector, he responds to Camilla. We have met, once before that cyro trip. I shall visit the refresher when I please.

"Is Hector your real name?" She asked. He certainly didn't look like a Hector.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2015, 11:57:01 am »

He is wrong, Hector thinks to Camellia. I stored some parts in the armory right before hitting the cyro. Though I guess I'd best check everything is still there.

Hector leaves the break room as well, heading towards the armory.

No. Hector is name I choose. I am criminal, and would rather not use born name.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2015, 12:02:47 pm »

"Makes sense. I wonder if I should have chosen a fake name..." She mused.

After a moment, she rose to her full prodigious height and strode out of the room after Hector, though her destination was different-she needed to do a general checklist on the ship's systems and see if anything was amiss.

Action: Camilla goes to the bridge for a systems check.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2015, 12:39:14 pm »

He is wrong, Hector thinks to Camellia. I stored some parts in the armory right before hitting the cyro. Though I guess I'd best check everything is still there.

Hector leaves the break room as well, heading towards the armory.

No. Hector is name I choose. I am criminal, and would rather not use born name.
There are in fact still 6 units of replacement parts, 10 small arms, 3 suits of light armor, 3 advanced light armor's, and 6 vacuum suits left in the armory.  Matter of fact your armory is somewhat stale smelling, it seems neither Mac nor any of the tiny cleaning robots have been in here since you went into cyro. 

(Rules update:
Unit of Spare Parts-Can be used to fix any non-primitive or non-advanced component of the ship and also carried off ship to fix similarly sized pieces of world infrastructure.  ((Enough to fix a large generator, re wire electrical in a room, repair advanced computer systems ect.))

Armory Contents-Units of Arms, armor and ammunition are considered 'universal' until used once at which point they are set into whatever form the user chooses.  For example, if you want a shotgun, one unit of small arms becomes a shotgun and from then on stays as a shotgun.  However if you don't take a shotgun and instead want a sword than the unit is a sword.

Small-Any weapon that is not heavy or larger (eg:Small ship sized, planetary emplacement, capital ship, ect.)

"Makes sense. I wonder if I should have chosen a fake name..." She mused.

After a moment, she rose to her full prodigious height and strode out of the room after Hector, though her destination was different-she needed to do a general checklist on the ship's systems and see if anything was amiss.

Action: Camilla goes to the bridge for a systems check.
Quote from: System
System Data Report Printing On Screen:

Fuel Status:5%

Hull Integrity:20%, change since last check +1%

Armor Integrity:5%, change since last check +5%

Cargo:Empty

Core Systems: Maintenance desperately required, recommended course of action;
Replace the following-Life support, engine, mainframe, navigational systems, weapon systems.

Auxiliary Systems:Last maintained fully-Never, current status-Barely usable.

Systems without issue:Diagnostics system, Mess hall, Cyro-system, personal systems, Scanners, gravity generator.
The data scrolls by slowly on the screen, none of the alerts have changed since you set out and most of the repairs would be both costly and largely unnecessary.  The diagnostics is always overstating the current issues and while the core systems it mentioned are only working at 25% capacity it's still enough for the small crew to get by.

The bridge itself is exceptionally cramped for one of your height, the faded and cracked faux-leather seats squatting behind each console give off the faint odor of sweat.  While the metal grating beneath your feet looks through onto the ancient pipes and electrical system of the vessel that serves as it's nervous system.  Each console itself gives off a faint green glow of light upon which black lettering serves as a HUD, even the images upon the consoles are skewed slightly with the green tint which the ancient LCD displays have taken on.  In total 3 stations are present in the tiny bridge, though all the information can be routed to one station so that a single person might pilot every aspect of the ship.
Nom nom nom

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2015, 12:55:15 pm »

Camilla was annoyed to have to hunch over to access the console. Clearly not designed for Lunars!

She began running the scanners and the comms by rote, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Just to be safe. She doubted any SDF vessels would be out this far, but there could be anything...

Action: Begin multi-band scanning for strong energy signatures, and signs of intelligent life in the immediate area. I.e, anything that could be really, immediately dangerous to the ship.

Also, check if the ship has picked up any communications signals recently.

Shaporia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2015, 01:57:04 pm »

Resun's experience with cryo was alike to some people's experiences, that being he never actually dreamed. It was just a pop in and pop out for him. As the pod finished the wake-up procedure, Resun leaned forward and immediately coughed up a fair share of whatever fluid the pods contained. (assuming they have fluid?) Shaking his head, he sat in his pod for a moment to regain his bearings. Then gripping the sides of the pod and hefting himself out. Unfortunately for him, he always felt disorientated after being awakened and he took this time to lean against a nearby wall and recollect his thoughts, starting from the top.
      ..Tinkerer, construction worker. Hmm.. He looked down at the scratched and scuffed floor, feeling a slight sense of vertigo suddenly. Bar room brawler. He lightly chuckled, with a light smile on his face. Xeno hunter. These two words could mean alot for some people, some treat it with disgust, others consider it necessary. And yet others consider it somehow fun. Resun simply considered it interesting, something to do to improve himself. He broke himself from his reverie, looking around for a moment and pushing himself off the wall. He then decided to go over to his workshop, checking that everything was there.

(Well, thanks for setting the bar so high Dwarmin  :P, made me really spend some time on this bit!)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »

(( ...after all that waiting we start on a day I can't do anything :'())
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:08:35 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Shaporia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2015, 02:07:14 pm »

(( ...after all that waiting we start on a day I can't do anything :'))
(rip Stirk)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12