Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Under the Alien Stars-Burned World  (Read 11701 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Alien Stars 6/4 (Starting soonish!)
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2015, 10:05:49 am »

It'll happen, I just happen to 'normally' work part time and right after posting this went through an unexpected very long move and than sudden 7 day work week.  After sunday I'll be back to two days a week and start it than.
Nom nom nom

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2015, 09:21:36 pm »

I'm back from camping. :D Right on time, I'd guess.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2015, 10:55:30 am »

Updoots?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Shaporia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2015, 08:53:38 pm »

Rest in peace thread?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2015, 09:13:12 pm »

No I am still here, still going to start soon... just lots of real life work as well for this week....  soonish might have been an underestimate earlier heh..
The Cyan Menace

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2015, 09:16:43 pm »

....He forgot about us, didn't he?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2015, 11:45:36 pm »

Last Active:
    Today at 07:40:33 pm
The Cyan Menace

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2015, 08:14:11 am »

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2015, 08:21:36 am »

I mean... nearly 90% of the time I've been active recently is on my phone but... well I'll try and start this on a mobile device while at work.  I'll start writing up the intro in the post after this immediately.  Sorry about the huge amount of time that's passed.
Nom nom nom

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2015, 08:31:29 am »

Bro, rushing yourself will just lead to bad work. And it may make you bitter to GM, if you don't do it on your own time in your own schedule.

You've got five players bumping this thread because we want you to start the game. We understand if life is in the way, and obviously it means we are still interested-but, we're just showing a bit of enthusiasm here. Don't feel pressured. :)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:41 am »

It's Awake
    The ship's automated systems begin to wake you up from the long cyrosleep, as always it is a sickening experience as the ship lacks any niceties when it comes to dealing with the crew.  What it lacks in comforts however it makes up for in efficiency, being designed originally as a blockade runner and salvager everything about the ships automation speaks of speed and skill.  The two sealed environmental bubbles off each side of the vessel are the only exterior changes to have taken place in recent times, the old black ballistic plated hull on other areas is speckled with rust, acid burns and micro-meteor strike marks giving the entire thing a very grizzled appearance.

You are currently in orbit over planet G4-0Alpha2, which means Gas giant(G), 4th from the sun in un-colonized(0) system Alpha-2.  What makes this particular planet your target of interest is it's rather strange makeup that pushes the borders on what one could call a gas giant, instead of the usual myriad of moons that orbit gas giants it is orbited by large island like masses of rock, water and plant life that float far above the gaseous core of the world.  Scientists long ago found out that the phenomenon is caused by a magnetic interaction between crystals that grow within the islands, and the highly ferro-magnetic gaseous makeup of the worlds near-plasma core.

The amazing scenery however is not what has brought your ship to this locale, reportedly on one of the larger islands there exists a beast made partially of the floating crystalline substance which resembles a large reptile.  You specially retro-fitted the cage room and a large part of the cargo bay to be able to hold the creature as a collector of strange specimens is willing to pay a small fortune for it's live capture, which after you pay repairs and fuel costs for your ship should at least get each of you a years living expenses.  The creature in question is described as being able to fly for short periods of time, while also exhibiting the ability to attract nearby metals to it's skin for armor, one nearly dead scientist also claimed it spat burning plasma at him once.

The ship finishes it's automated wake-up process and you sit in high orbit over the world of islands as the vessel awaits your orders and plans.

Bro, rushing yourself will just lead to bad work. And it may make you bitter to GM, if you don't do it on your own time in your own schedule.

You've got five players bumping this thread because we want you to start the game. We understand if life is in the way, and obviously it means we are still interested-but, we're just showing a bit of enthusiasm here. Don't feel pressured. :)

That's fine, I can at least do creative writing in the meantime so you guys can role-play/explore the world.  I realized that nothing needs to be done mechanics heavy until a real fight or whatnot starts so that does give me more time.... that and I wanted to start it badly myself anyhow!
Nom nom nom

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Alien Stars-Actually started! Yay~
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2015, 09:35:59 am »

Those who spend long times in cryogenic sleep describe different experiences. Some feel no time has passed at all-they feel a rush of cold air, they close their eyes, then they wake up feeling refreshed. Others feel on the fringe of conscious in a disconnected way, and for these people cryo is unpleasant, an unrestful sleep leaving them irritable. Others, perhaps the most unlucky (or those on very cheaply outfitted ships, like this one), feel a vague sense of deep nausea that travels with them through the eternity of sleep, just below the point where they are conscious-they usually wake up retching or worse.

And, some lose themselves in endless dreams, their minds flipping through memories and concepts like paging through a book...Camilla was one of these. She dreams the starscapes of her youth, when things had seemed so simple...before the SDF had came, in their utilitarian, blunt nosed starships and harsh, stone-scrape voices...she dreams of her mother and her father, her sister and two brothers, a former lover, or three. It's almost like she is reliving her life. As she approaches waking-a minute or so in real life, an eternity inside-the dreams become stranger and more disturbing...she dreams of the strange stars of alien worlds, impossible shapes threaded through impossible shapes, unearthly music from the spheres of creation, and a plume of fire rising into the sky...she sees her birth, and her eventual death, and knows it will be a hard one. Harder than anyone should have to bear, she thinks, and then...

She wakes up with a slight headache and a growling stomach, these memories leaving only vague, fragmentary imprint-and soon even those will be gone. They flutter away like lunar moths around a chemlight. All she thinks of now are the basics. I am very hungry. She knows not to rush things, however, this is deep inside her. Patience. Reaches for a rehydration  pill, and lets her stomach settle so she doesn't retch all over the floor like a 1st year Spacewalker. Her waking mind slowly comes back.

Camilla Rinaldo. Lunar. Solar Engineer. Discovered the .2 formula for squeezing more power from outward radial solar collectors-ORADs. It's not much, you think, but it adds up on the fringe. Communications...expert, she thinks with pride, a twinge of arrogance. Graduated fourth in slot from Sol-def Technological Academy. Four years in the Belt Rangers as a bridge officer on board the LRS Sweetcock. Terrible name for a ship, but they did good work. She grimaces, then smiles. It's all coming back to her...

Xeno-Poaching. Highly illegal. She signed the contract, pressed her stamp, sold her soul. Has questioned the wisdom of this. Violence and conflict are rarely the answers. But, they need the money badly-more than they will ever admit. Lunars are proud and self-reliant. Don't like to ask for help, even if they need it. Money for food, medicine, weapons to defend themselves, the parts to run their ships and stations. Eventually, funding the Great Journey outward, where they will find a world far, far from Earth and it's...policies. She decided the morality was not hers to decide. Let them judge my bones, the old Lunar saying goes-I have work to do.

She rises-but stays seated, with unearthly grace, all of her seven and a half feet height looming, looking at the other rows of cryo-trays with querying, thoughtful, shadow-mist eyes. Those eyes are striking, even frightening in a certain light-with enlarged iris's and a certain cant-perhaps, because they subtly began to lose their original wholly human shape. Not truly unnatural, or freakish...but enough to subtly tell she is different, that she is Lunar-not Earthen. She wonders who will wake up next, curious as ever.

((OOC: Also, make sure you toss pms to all players Kilakan that we have started the game. Some people might miss the post.))
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:42:06 am by Dwarmin »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2015, 09:44:17 am »

((good idea, have done so.  Also, beautiful character intro dwarmin 0.0 ))
Nom nom nom

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2015, 09:53:46 am »

((Had to set the high bar. Glad you enjoyed it. :P I always hope my writings inspire other people to do better with their own work. Really, it's all your fault tho, Camilla has been percolating in my imagination for a few weeks now. My body was ready.))

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2015, 10:21:14 am »

((Still interested, yes, but I thought you were going to only include the first four at once. Oh, well, it means I the fifth person (as far as I know) am happy to be included!))

Sadly, it was Hector who woke next. He was one of those ones who find cryo unpleasant and irritating. He wasn't sick, and he did feel rested, but the cyro experience always set him on edge anyways. As he stumbled out, he shoved his pills into his mandibles, looking blearily out at Camilla like she's insane for looking so refreshed.

I don't suppose there's anything to eat yet? he inquired. No, it must be my job.

Hector drags himself to the minimal mess, and starts scrounging up a few servings of something. He starts with some dried meat; most of the crew could eat this, he was sure. He started dividing it into portions, but then realized that he wasn't sure just how many of his comrades would be waking from cryo just yet, and put it all on one plate. He also set out a side of nutrient-paste for anyone who wanted some, but deigned not to eat any himself.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12