Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I've gone back to 34.11...  (Read 3451 times)

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've gone back to 34.11...
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 06:18:44 am »

@OP: The only crash I've gotten was related to a hauling route bug of some sort. Not sure how I wound up avoiding it, but I successfully didn't trigger the crash the third time around and haven't seen it or any other since.

Hmm... I used to have crashes in the recent 40.xx versions, but once I flagged DF to be Large Address Aware, it stopped crashing.  Perhaps it the crashes are caused by DF2014's increased complexity in comparison to 34.11?

How do you do this? It may be helpful to reduce lag...

Yes, how do you do this? I've had some crashes, enough to make the game a source of frustration. I suspect it's not DF itself, but possibly something to do with TWBT that isn't agreeing with my computer.

NVM, I found it myself. About to try it now and see if it makes a difference.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:58:04 am by Devstorm »

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 03:15:42 pm »

Vanilla, never had a crash in 40 aside from the tree growing into structure bug which is easy to avoid.

I enjoy the new features too much to ever consider going back.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 01:00:11 am »

Vanilla, never had a crash in 40 aside from the tree growing into structure bug which is easy to avoid.

Same.

... I mean that completely sums up what I would have said :L
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 01:53:54 am »

Likewise. And as I've said elsewhere, my current fort has been sieged by hundreds of goblins, trolls and ogres... not to mention the forgotten beasts and other 'guests'.  I wonder if world gen params are affecting this for people, as the state of the world has much greater impact in 0.40.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 02:27:27 am »

I've tried boosting the population caps, I figure more goblins -> more soldiers -> more belligerence, but all that seems to do is make enemy parties larger rather than increase their frequency. It's something, but not quite what I'd hoped for.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 05:34:37 am »

I've tried boosting the population caps, I figure more goblins -> more soldiers -> more belligerence, but all that seems to do is make enemy parties larger rather than increase their frequency. It's something, but not quite what I'd hoped for.
I think its more fort placement. My first fort never got sieged in 5 years. My second had about 1 a year from the 3rd year to the 8th year. My third fort I've had 1 in 6 years. I'm at war with the Goblins and Humans but never seen any human sieges.
In the second fort the sieges did get bigger as time went on, but never as big as 34.11

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 06:35:03 pm »

There was also an erratic army pathing bug which Toady said he fixed (affected some more than others, hence the inconsistent results between games, worlds, people's experiences, etc., some with sieges, some without.) He says he expects more sieges as a result in the new version, when it comes out. Might start playing again when that happens, because honestly, DF fort mode is nothing without sieges. (Or I might wait until after start scenarios, which sound like they'll include multiple awesome advances in gameplay, story, etc.)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 06:43:04 pm »

There's always towers and evil biomes though. 

Do trees really cause crashes?  I've gone through several versions of the LNP and I feel like that's not particularly related to the crash rate.  I do suspect that non-goblin siege armies can cause crashes.  I've had a couple games were I tried to instigate war with humans, elves, dwarves and mod races and they always crashed constantly before any sieges came out of it. 

I have seen tree branches causing lag, but I think the lastest LNP revision may have fixed that.  I haven't really tested that hypothesis. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 04:48:01 pm »

My computer died whilst playing my major fort in 40 after 3 in games years without a save. Frustrated, I thought I'd try 34 for a couple of days before going back to 40. After 20+ kobold thieves, and a goblin riding a cave dragon, I don't think I'll ever go back to 40 :p

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 01:00:09 pm »

If anyone wants to check out the current update of the Fortress Defense Mod, I'm trying to confirm whether the changes I applied to the raws are reliably causing more regular sieges.

Also, with the new version looking optimistically close, perhaps we'll see fixes for these problems in the new version (though I doubt it).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2]