Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I've gone back to 34.11...  (Read 3449 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I've gone back to 34.11...
« on: July 26, 2015, 02:12:52 am »

...just wondering if others have too?  It seems a lot more stable than 40.24.   
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've gone back to 34.11...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 03:42:37 am »

Haven't encountered anything game breaking myself. Personally though, I look forward to playing Genesis on the latest version, and all the other mods when they get updated.

What was it that made you revert anyways?

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:52:18 am »

I thought about it since I NEVER had any crashes with 34.11 before. In 40, these are frequent, at least once per game year. However, I like the trees and in particular the ongoing history too much. Seasonal autosaves is what I do now.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 05:57:40 am »

In a bit more than 25 ingame years I had at most 4 crashes, the latest one being caused by a DFHack tool though. I safe very regularly through the quicksave feature though, if I didn't have that I'd set it to seasonal saves.
Then again, I heard most crashes have to do with trees - and the only thing I know to do with those is chop them down and make them into charcoal, ash or occassionally new cages (they burn nicely in magma), since I don't need beds or chairs anymore.

I haven't actually played 34.11 in fortress mode though, only played it in adventure mode.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 06:17:32 am »

Are you sure your issues are caused by dwarf fortress itself, and not a third party tool?
I've been playing 0.40.24 literally for days (I didn't track, but I'm pretty sure I've got more than 200 hours of play) and didn't experience a single crash. The only thing one has to be careful about is designating constructions above ground or in the caverns, as the crashes reproducibly when a tree is growing into a designated square before the construction is finished. I usually cut down trees close to places where I want to build, in order to avoid this.
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 06:53:51 am »

Well 30 has more siege snatcher and thief !!!NUF!!!, so that aspect is appealing. Personally I muck aboot in the newest version at all times, forts are boring, but that gives me the opportunity to focus on advanced game play mechanics (After playing for about one year, I placed my first minecart on a track aboot two weeks ago, so still have far to wander)

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 06:55:25 am »

Well as for DF tools, when you put that in the mix, thats the only time I'll have crashes, that and mods. But auto-saves, and manual saves doesn't make it too much trouble for me personally.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 06:58:03 am »

Hmm... I used to have crashes in the recent 40.xx versions, but once I flagged DF to be Large Address Aware, it stopped crashing.  Perhaps it the crashes are caused by DF2014's increased complexity in comparison to 34.11?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 07:08:46 am »

As other mentionned, 40.24 has a crash situation (only in 40.24 , it wasn't in 40.23 and previous) related to buildings and trees :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8719

The problem is that depending on whatever you build, and that trees grow fast and spread a lot, you may end with a tree growing right where and when you had designed a tile to be worked on/building constructed , triggering a crash.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 10:30:16 am »

I've never had 40 crash on me, not once, and I've played it a lot for the past few monthes. Perhaps it could be OS, hardware or software, or maybe you're all just doing something wrong. I use DFhack and vanilla, I've modded quite a bit in and out of the game and everything is still stable for me.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 11:56:57 am »

Thanks for the input folks.  I'm happy to hear that some are not experiencing any problems at all.  Here are some quick answers to the questions asked...

What was it that made you revert anyways?

I like to run long challenge games, that is, challenges that will take a long time to complete.  I made two runs in 40.24 that crashed, once almost immediately and once after several days.  It was disappointing but I don't hate the game or anything, just inclined to move back to a more stable release.

Quote from: Various
Trees cause the game to crash...

That's probably not the case here, the challenge I was attempting was in a treeless biome.  Nothing but sand and clay, lots and lots and lots of clay.

Are you sure your issues are caused by dwarf fortress itself, and not a third party tool?

No, I'm not sure of that.  It could very possibly be a 3rd party tool, however I don't use many.  I was running the new lazy newb pack, Gemset tileset, dwarf therapist and dfHack.  I don't use dfHack for anything though, other than one little command right in the beginning which could be the problem.  I'll have to test.  If it's the problem, I'll make a new thread about it.

Hmm... I used to have crashes in the recent 40.xx versions, but once I flagged DF to be Large Address Aware, it stopped crashing.  Perhaps it the crashes are caused by DF2014's increased complexity in comparison to 34.11?

I'll have to try this as well.  I didn't realize that it still had to be flagged manually, for some reason I thought that happened automatically now.  I'll take a look.

I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 02:28:33 am »

@OP: The only crash I've gotten was related to a hauling route bug of some sort. Not sure how I wound up avoiding it, but I successfully didn't trigger the crash the third time around and haven't seen it or any other since.

How do you do this? It may be helpful to reduce lag...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 05:39:22 am »

Lots of crashing an no sieges.

40 is kind of a step back in enjoyment. It's like dwarf fortress blue balls, you build it and they never come.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 06:39:19 am »

Vanilla DF, I've yet to have a crash in. Even in forested areas but I dont build much more than a wall and a place to stick my depot.

I have had crashes, however, using the lazy newb pack with therapist and dfhack. They happen seemingly random. DFHack does some odd things sometimes, like scripts either starting on or randomly turning on even if you don't tell them to. I usually blame it when I crash in those cases but I have seasonal autosave on and I quick save after completing important things.

I play both versions though. When I want sieges, older version. When I miss the new features, new version. Works pretty well for now.  Hoping Toady does something about the siege issue as a bugfix after releasing the newest df.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 09:46:02 pm »

I went back to 34.11 because of the ambushes and sieges. They happen so much more frequently than in the current version. It was hard to transition from using logs for literally everything to conserving my wood, though.
Pages: [1] 2