Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1726258 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #9450 on: July 09, 2023, 12:19:53 pm »

I know they nerfed it recently, but Raiders used to be able to get a planet in a couple years

Nothing quite like making off with 40 pops from a capital world to kill your oppenents

p:  I typically play spiritualist, because it plays well into how I play the game. I've been adding machines, robots enter my game, and the pop grow from them is spectacular.

if and when I do cloning or get a budding pop, I can just disassemble the robot station
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 12:22:40 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9451 on: October 25, 2023, 02:26:43 pm »

I really like the habitat changes still, and I just noticed that hive minds can start voidborne now!  It's even a little customized for them!  I also ran into a federated hivemind start which confused the metagamer in me a lot at first.

For now I'm playing the base UNE with a single mod that adds a certain alien race.  Mod's SFW, the race is... not.  That mod makes it a bit of a challenge run, on top of some personal challenges Utopian Abundance from the *start* and gene clinics everywhere ASAP.

My UNE (star trek Federation essentially) is offering a democratic alternative to the Affini Compact.  Everyone still enjoys post-scarcity living, plus free gene clinics and cyber-augmentation.  The difference is that all sophonts have an equal voice in government, and are free to live and work wherever they want.

The early game helped set the stage by boxing us behind three aggressive, allied hiveminds.  We only survived by allying with some friendly "Klingons" (Spiritual militants, toxoids) and a distributed silicon-based intelligence.  Together we forged a sector where anyone can be free or, uh, a computer.  The Klingons happily accepted UN governance as long as they get to fight, and the computer is happy to compute (and exchange its research for protection).

From this basis, the UNE (pending rebrand) crusaded for democracy.  Somehow autocracies had made it to the stars, and their citizens cried out for aid.  It went quite well for a while!  Now the galaxy is mostly stabilized into four groups:

The UNE Greater Prosperity Sphere
The Free Information Pact, a powerful but pacifistic federation encircling the core.  Research partners with the UNE, and a steady source of immigrants.
The Meme Zone, a chaotic area where the Eldar fight Clan Snek Cobra.  A small group of servitor robots promise paradise to organic beings, but between the Affini and the UNE, nobody takes them seriously.
The Affini Compact.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

With superior technology and good intentions, the Affini easily vassalized the Galactic South.  Only the egalitarian Confederation of Juss still has their independence, for now, by signing a military alliance with the Affini.  The equally egalitarian Syldaeans have become battle-thralls, though the "nonviolent" Affini call them a bulwark.  The Andarian star-empire received a... less respectful vassalage, but they're fascists so fuck'm.

It's a pretty nice galaxy, actually.  Other than the Meme Zone getting rescued from itself, this might be a peaceful state of affairs.  Sophonts are treated well in all three serious powers, and 2/3 of them enjoy freedom of movement.  Is this a mythical "good end"?

Well... the Affini's Syldaean "bulwark" has come to the UNE, pleaing for help.  Life under the Affini is wonderful, but it is not free.  Will the UNE come to their aid?
(if we do, space-Italy will join the revolt too because fascists hate being happy.  It's okay- we'll save their citizens from their stupid government as well.)

Or... maybe I won't be doing that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: October 26, 2023, 11:37:13 am »

Hive Minds can start voidborn now, but if I remember correctly machine intelligences still cannot. Paradox is a bunch of cowards, forcing robots to colonize dirty planets instead of living entirely in clean habitats.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: October 26, 2023, 02:49:58 pm »

I guess Resource Consolidation is basically a nice clean habitat :P
Actually it is weird that machines still can't be voidborn AFAIK.  Originally the problem was that the species was split between three habitats which recently reunited... but that's no longer the case, hence why hives can spread their wings.  Why not robots?  Strange.

I just had a funky diplomacy happen.  Lemme try to recount it:
A system wanted to rebel from a vassal of the Affini
I was in a defensive pact with the Affini
I promised to support the system's independence even though it "could be considered an act of war"
oh gods oh no it was considered an act of war, and I was way too busy to fight Affini and their vassals even if I wanted too
I surrendered, getting Humiliated and obviously returning the system.  To the vassal, looks like.
I lost like 50 trust with the Affini but almost immediately re-signed our defensive pact, phew
About a decade later, some spiritualists rebel against the authoritarian vassal of the xenophile Affini
I'm called in to "defend" the overlord because I'm "guaranteeing their independence" (actually it's a defensive pact but ok)
The rebellion only has two systems including the system that joined me before.
The overlord wins easily, but takes one of the systems... and gave me the other!

I loaded an autosave (weird not playing ironman, but this is modded) and I had *10* claims on the system that had temporarily joined me O_o.  And the overlord had a claim on the other rebel system for whatever reason, so they simply took it rather than return it to their vassal.  kinda funny how that works, particularly since I think they were tied with their vassal with 1 claim each.  Weird that it gave me 10, though.

In any case this is perfect because it finally clears the big "distance" malus that was preventing me from federating our thirds of the galaxy together.  Xenophiles my butt...  We were merely one step removed from being hyper-relay linked, in case that would have helped too.
Finally, we can join together in autonomous negotiated harmony <3
(And, I'm hoping, sneak around their civic's denial of migration pacts...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: October 26, 2023, 05:41:29 pm »

On the subject of weird things you can't do, I'm still disappointed that you can't play as non-gestalt robots and am shocked that you still can't play a psionic hivemind.  I mean, for organic hiveminds is it not implied that's how they even work?

Anyway, my last game was a bit humbling at the end game.  I decided to try a pure strike craft + missile ship build to see how it would work, and was stunned when the War in Heaven triggered and the awakened empires absolutely trashed my fleets.  Their fleets were around 700K in power while mine were close to 1M each due to being able to focus on one set of repeatables per science field, but I needed like 4M of my ships to beat one of their fleets.  I accidentally engaged one in a system that nullified shields and lost 6M of my ships to one of their fleets, which only took maybe 50% losses.

It was amazing how much the crisis ships were a pushover by comparison.

Also, on the subject of diplomacy, that game was pretty frustrating on that front too.  I usually play inward perfectionists so this time I decided to play federation builders.  And, of course, nobody wants to be my friend because the game generates empires that hate you to keep the game "interesting."  I ended up having to form a federation with a single system primitive civilization I found that reached the space age.  Which... works, but feels like it's cheating.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: October 27, 2023, 01:39:22 pm »

On the subject of weird things you can't do, I'm still disappointed that you can't play as non-gestalt robots and am shocked that you still can't play a psionic hivemind.  I mean, for organic hiveminds is it not implied that's how they even work?

The idea is that the Hivemind's version of low level intra-species telepathy isn't the same as the kind that can tap into the Shroud. Same or similar medium, but the method involved is too distinct for one to become the other, though I can't remember the event or phrasing used that makes me think that atm.

Wouldn't be hard to rewrite or write around though, nor would it be the first time they've done it. I think they're paranoid that it'd be unbalanced in some way, same with non-gestalt non-ascended robots.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9456 on: October 27, 2023, 01:54:31 pm »

I think one of the devs recently said that they wanted to allow psionic hiveminds but hadn't had dev time to do it well yet.  Which makes sense I suppose, since they'd get raked over the coals for releasing something bad, but it's still surprising they haven't done it yet.  I almost expected that they'd do it as part of the next DLC since it looked like it was related to the shroud from the previews, but now that we know it's a more general extradimensional exploration thing it probably won't touch on that.  Guess we'll see what origins and civics they add.

I suspect it's a similar problem with non-gestalt robots, though that feels like a smaller issue to tackle.  They could probably give them similar pop assembly as gestalt robots with everything else being like a normal empire except they use energy instead of food.  Leaders and techs would need work too.  People say it would be unbalanced because of how synths have such big bonuses to everything, but they don't have to give them those traits.  Those could be late game techs like they are for normal empires, even if it would make less logical sense that intelligent and individual robots from one robotic empire are less advanced than those of an organic empire.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: December 04, 2023, 08:32:31 pm »

I just had what I think is my most unlucky endgame in Stellaris ever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haven't gotten kicked in the teeth that hard in a very long time in this game.

On the other hand, it was an otherwise unusual game.  I had 8 toxic terraforming candidates in my empire so I took Detox for the first time.  Still a waste because none of the planets got over 10 pops due to how pop growth works in the late game, but whatever.

The astral rifts also turned out to be surprisingly interesting and engaging, but I'm sure they'll end up background noise like most events after I see them a couple of times.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 08:42:31 pm by Telgin »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: December 09, 2023, 07:53:30 am »

I'm not sure if it'll be useful to anyone but here it goes anyway.

Paradox has dropped win 7 support on stellaris, since version 3.8 or 3.9 (i'm not sure on which one). Of course being professionals (sic) they said nothing about it except for some forum post some time later, when people asked why the game didn't launch. Based on the gog version, the problem lies solely with stellaris/paradox launcher and not with the game itself, which works fine so far (version 3.9.2 no gamebreaking bugs in ~15 hours of multiplayer).

How to keep playing on win7:

Single player:
  • Just launch the game directly through "stellaris.exe" (found in the installation folder)

Multiplayer (for while it lasts at least):

• Launch the game as above and *try* to login with your paradox account through the ingame menu. Choose the option to remember you.
  • If the above doesn't work, ie connection timeout, you'll have to use a win10 pc and log in, via the ingame menu, with your account through that. Choose to remember you! After you log in using the win10 pc, exit the game. Go to Users\Username\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris and find the pdx_login.txt. This file contains the encrypted information for the automatic login. Transfer that file from the win10 pc to win7 (in the corresponding directory). The win7 pc should now be able to connect to paradox's server and host/join games.

All these because stellaris has no LAN support :(
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9459 on: December 09, 2023, 11:19:01 am »

If it's on Steam you can try to add --skip-launcher in properties. I know it'll let you skip Larian's game launcher.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #9460 on: December 09, 2023, 12:39:32 pm »

Hard to blame them for dropping support, considering Windows 7 support from Microsoft ended in 2020 and it hasn't received security updates in 3 years now for average consumers (or start of this year if you were on ESU). Frankly no internet connected device should still be on Windows 7. And I'd say the default assumption should be anything released after Jan 10th 2020 doesn't support Windows 7 unless explicitly stated otherwise, so I wouldn't have expected anything after 2.5.1 to officially support it.

Stellaris and the launcher both work on Linux via Proton if you don't want to update Windows. You're much better off switching to an actively maintained Linux OS than staying on a dead Windows OS.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 01:39:54 pm by MorleyDev »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: December 09, 2023, 05:49:17 pm »

I think we've dropped Vista support by accident, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they didn't even know until later.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: December 10, 2023, 05:39:56 am »

Hard to blame them for dropping support, considering Windows 7 support from Microsoft ended in 2020 and it hasn't received security updates in 3 years now for average consumers (or start of this year if you were on ESU). Frankly no internet connected device should still be on Windows 7. And I'd say the default assumption should be anything released after Jan 10th 2020 doesn't support Windows 7 unless explicitly stated otherwise, so I wouldn't have expected anything after 2.5.1 to officially support it.

Stellaris and the launcher both work on Linux via Proton if you don't want to update Windows. You're much better off switching to an actively maintained Linux OS than staying on a dead Windows OS.

You are missing the point of my post but it doesn't really matter. 

PS. Gog still has it listed as win7 compatible though that might not be paradox's mistake.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #9463 on: December 10, 2023, 06:29:34 am »

You are missing the point of my post but it doesn't really matter.

I wasn't really deriding your comment, just adding thoughts on Windows 7 support as an idea. Namely, please don't have a Windows 7 machine connected to the internet :P DMZ that shit at the very least.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: December 10, 2023, 06:44:56 am »

Meanwhile, I'm playing co-op with Solymr and we're currently a totally original, not-mongol warrior horde (warrior culture + barbaric despoilers).

We've already found a trustful, to-be-diplovassalized-later, merchant state right next to our borders. We also found few planets full of primitives so our workforce comes from them, mostly, for rapid development, and we enough planets and galactic arms for ourselves to settle in before we will have to toss our armadas at anyone.

And we also found out that Paradox still haven't fixed an exploit: namely, trait picks for your Leaders are synched, right? But the pick itself only sets in after the 'toast' (popup) message disappears, so you have those 3 seconds' window where you and your coop partner can pick different Traits, be they regular or Veteran traits. Of course, if you pick the same Trait as your coop partner, nothing happens, but usually you have 3 picks to choose from.

We have for example Statistician-Explorer who has 2 levels Roamer, 2 levels Perfectionist and 1 level of Adaptionist, I believe, tossed in - and he is barely lvl4.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632