Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1730305 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5895 on: February 24, 2018, 08:41:59 pm »

I'm fine with it. It just encourages players to actually consider defending their borders with static defenses/smaller fleets rather than just keeping a single doomstack next to their most threatening neighbor.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: February 24, 2018, 09:11:37 pm »

It was a little mixed for me....One game I had a lot....but most so far have had very few for me. One game it was also swapped with the Crystal entities....they were all around me with no other space creatures... so it seems like they just spawn in clusters, which would make sense.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: February 24, 2018, 09:13:37 pm »

It was a little mixed for me....One game I had a lot....but most so far have had very few for me. One game it was also swapped with the Crystal entities....they were all around me with no other space creatures... so it seems like they just spawn in clusters, which would make sense.
I am not sure if it's a feature of the Leviathans dlc or patch, but space creatures other than the Space Cows spawn in clusters, yeah. There are also roaming Amoebas (in addition to stationary ones) that pursue the Tyanki.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: February 24, 2018, 09:16:38 pm »

They changed that a few patches back. I can't 100% remember the reasoning but it was probably to make different patches of space feel more distinct. This is mining drone space, this is crystal space, etc, etc.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: February 24, 2018, 09:24:33 pm »

I just wish there was a hyperlane density setting between .75x and 1x.

.75x makes everything feel way too linear. You have to expand across basically just a line. Natiral enemoes like crystals/whatever stop expansion and exploration in their tracks because you can’t go around them. That plus the longer travel time means to have have to micromanage your military and civilian ships - if your fleets can even beat the aliens - unless you want to just wait until you have enough minerals saved up to build more fleets.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: February 24, 2018, 09:41:15 pm »

Pirates are so annoying right now. doesnt matter how many times you crush them, they will always return stronger. I guess that by endgame they will be spawning 50k stacks.
I haven't seen one larger than around 5k and I'm about 400 years into my game. They only spawn if you have uncontrolled systems on your border, so if you build out to your neighbors then no pirates.

Bad mechanic anyway. The game is forcing you to expand just to get rid of annoyances.
I honestly never had a problem with them myself. Are you neglecting your military? My peaceful spiritualist xenophiles had enough of a military to fight them off. Later I just put up a nice beefy defense station at a chokepoint and let the pirates hit that whenever they came in.

I had many fleets. The pirates were not problems, just annoyances as I said. They would destroy a couple of mining stations before I sent them to hell. It was just annoying. I don't like to have to expand continuously to get rid of them. What if you prefer to play "tall"?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:03:04 pm by thvaz »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: February 24, 2018, 09:58:18 pm »

Presumably if you prefer to play "tall" you build defense stations to protect the entrances to your territory.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5902 on: February 24, 2018, 09:59:42 pm »

Pirates are so annoying right now. doesnt matter how many times you crush them, they will always return stronger. I guess that by endgame they will be spawning 50k stacks.
I haven't seen one larger than around 5k and I'm about 400 years into my game. They only spawn if you have uncontrolled systems on your border, so if you build out to your neighbors then no pirates.

Bad mechanic anyway. The game is forcing you to expand just to get rid of annoyances.
I honestly never had a problem with them myself. Are you neglecting your military? My peaceful spiritualist xenophiles had enough of a military to fight them off. Later I just put up a nice beefy defense station at a chokepoint and let the pirates hit that whenever they came in.

I had many fleets. The pirates were not problems, just annoyances as I said. They would destroy a couple of mining stations before I sent them to hell. It was just annoying. I don't like to have to expand continuously to get rid of them. What if you prefer to play "tall"?

Anyway, my save bugged. In a moment I had about 100 minerals/turn (though I was struggling with energy) and in the next both wer
You don't 'have to expand to get rid of them' but you do have to put up defenses, whether that is a starbase with defense platforms or a fleet stationed at the edge of your territory.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: February 24, 2018, 11:35:28 pm »

That wouldn't be an entirely bad mechanic, imposing order on ungoverned areas has some historical and logical backing. The real problem is that with the bonuses it gives, it's actually encouraging you to do is to leave a few systems to farm pirates.

"Tall" in the sense of never expanding at all is a meme playstyle that doesn't deserve support, to be honest.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: February 25, 2018, 01:02:40 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: February 25, 2018, 01:12:15 am »

i honestly thought the beautiful sight was dwarf and machine working together in harmony

except for that single repressed, unhappy one
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:20:42 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: February 25, 2018, 05:22:21 am »

I strongly suggest everyone to turn marauders off at galaxy creation untill a patch comes around to fix them. Right now they might decide to raid someone on the other side of the galaxy. While on their way to raiding, they will path through your empire and destroy everything you have. When they raid you, you can pay them off to prevent this from happening, but when they are just pathing through your empire, no such prompt comes up.

When the raid fleet is 6k - 8k strong and you can only scrounge together 1k-2k, it is basically a game over since recovering from the damage will take you decades. Not to mention that any hostile neighbors will like declare war afterwards. This seems like a serious oversight in the marauder mechanics.

I'm fine with them trashing you if you decide to take the trashing or can't afford the bribe, but this accidental trashing is just bad.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: February 25, 2018, 05:30:08 am »

Presumably if you prefer to play "tall" you build defense stations to protect the entrances to your territory.
You should probably be doing this playing "wide", too, to be fair.  Defensive works make for some serious force-multipliers, and until jump drives arrive into the fray, being able to lock down choke points with static forces lets you free your mobile forces to actually do some damage.  Enemy raiders can be rather irritating, otherwise, so stopping them from moving into your space with either planetary FTL inhibitors or orbital FTL inhibitors is a strong plus.  A good fortress or citadel in the mid-game can easily equal a proper fleet, even if it can't move, and it runs off the starbase caps instead of your fleet caps. 

Also, I feel like jump drives are an even bigger game changer now than they were in older hyper-only games, even with the cooldown times.  I'm running hyper lanes a bit sparse (experimenting with 0.5-0.75) and they tend to be a bit snaky compared to previous patches.  When I have two stars spatially adjacent that have easily a dozen jumps between them, jump drives have cut transit times across my empire in half.  They're probably not as critical if you set the game options to denser arrangements, but they're even more valuable than I thought, and I already expected them to be pretty darn valuable.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:35:37 am by Culise »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: February 25, 2018, 11:32:58 am »

I'm hearing a lot of stuff about the new patch. How are people getting along with Apocalypse?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: February 25, 2018, 11:53:36 am »

Really enjoying Apocolypse, it basically adds all the modded stuff without being broken like the mods. Still want more than four basic ship classes though... The models for titans and collossi are beautifully done too. Just kinda wish war wasn't so tedious now... The space mongols are neat, haven't bugged me in this playthrough yet.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 632