Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1730310 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5925 on: February 26, 2018, 01:27:07 pm »

The claim system seems bugged at the moment. If an event pops up that takes your planets to create a new empire that starts at war with you, all of your allies and vassals who had claims on your systems will get your planets. I had the machine uprising happen and I lost 8 planets across 4 systems (and many systems in between). When I reconquered them with my own fleets and armies my vassals and fellow federation members got all of the planets.

It is because when you forcibly vassalize someone they will claim all of your systems that border their empire due to their negative opinion. Likewise if you end up in a federation with a former rival you will have an ally with claims on your system. When you are at war you can't claim territory your allies already have claims on, so if the machine uprising happens you are screwed out of all of your systems. 

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: February 26, 2018, 01:42:37 pm »

Most fun I've had with a Paradox game since CK2, and I really like most of the changes in 2.0.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: February 26, 2018, 02:40:58 pm »

Holy shit I am having a hard time keeping up with the AI, even on normal. Seems like they always have enough resources to outbuild and out-tech me while also being faster at recovering from war and having better defenses. I don't know, maybe I just suck  ???

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: February 26, 2018, 03:09:42 pm »

I'm well into my first game and I am having a lot of fun.

The only other empire I've met (I'm not sure where the heck everyone is) is behind me technologically, and I'm an enslaving spiritualist. Quickly nabbing the best systems via starbase has become easier with practice, and I'm getting my fleet up to snuff.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: February 26, 2018, 04:20:16 pm »

Holy shit I am having a hard time keeping up with the AI, even on normal. Seems like they always have enough resources to outbuild and out-tech me while also being faster at recovering from war and having better defenses. I don't know, maybe I just suck  ???

actually, turns out the AI cheats on resources, even on Normal

contrary to what the game tells us

according to this, anyway: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ai-pays-half-mineral-maintenance-ships-and-consumer-goods-on-normal.1072648/

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: February 26, 2018, 04:25:40 pm »

Something is messed up with the war system.

I had a war where 2 ais attacked me, they claimed a number of my systems, got sick of me, and attacked in a claim war.
I had one ally with a defensive pact. I don't think that's significant, but I figured I'd mention it.

So at the start of the war, I was caught unprepared. So the enemy occupied about 8 of my systems, including a planet.
I built up and pushed them back, destroying their fleet a few times, eventually getting the warscore tied up, at around 84. 
At this point, 4 of my systems are still occupied by them.
I move in to take another system, and fight another enemy fleet.  The instant combat ends, I get a message from the AI that started the war, saying it's over, and it's a status quo.  I have no option but to agree.

After this, the 4 occupied systems become owned by the 2nd AI (the one who had occupied them).  Now, this can't be right.  Now, after turning around an invasion attempt, after getting the enemy on their heels, they get to just say "Time out, no more war for 10 years, and we'll just keep these systems".  I mean... wtf?!? 

This is like after Germany invading france and england in ww2, after taking a few losses holding england they just get to say "OK OK, that's enough war, status quo, we keep england and france, no takebacks for 10 years!"

That is not how things work. No war has ever worked that way!

Firstly, the war exhaustion timer is just way too fast.  With the travel times being so incredibly long now, it's even more of a problem.

Secondly, the way exhaustion works is just nonsense.  The aggressor gets the exact same amount of time until their people are sick of the war as the defender?!?  Surely it's obvious why that's stupid. The aggressors can always just go home, they're not defending themselves, so the civilians are going to get sick of the war faster (Think US in Iraq).  The defenders, on the other hand, are having their worlds taken from them by an aggressive enemy empire.  They're probably going to support the fight for a really long time, especially if they are making any sort of progress (Think occupied England and France).

So here's how I think it should work:
If attacker exhaustion fills up, attacker can propose either a white peace (Defender gets all occupied systems back and keeps whatever they took), or they propose a surrender (Give in to war demands)
Then the defender gets the same options in reverse. 

Even that's not perfect, but if they're going to keep this stupid exhaustion system, it can at least make a little sense.  But really, the exhaustion system should do nothing but be a modifier to surrender acceptance(And probably a happiness modifier, based on ethics). As it is, it's just such an odd and inelegant system, who the hell is enforcing these 10 year peace treaties?  I didn't join the space UN, damn it!

Also, it seems that garrisoning armies doesn't knock down unrest anymore.  This is sort of a problem when you play with slaves, and the tooltip indicates that you should be able to lower it with garrisoned armies, so I think it's a bug. Anyone else notice that, or discover any workarounds?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: February 26, 2018, 04:36:16 pm »

I'm dealing with slave unrest at present.

I found that a stronghold and a slave processing facility have been enough to stave off rebellion, and I'm about to take the harmony perk for unrest, which should be enough for a permanent solution to the issue.

I believe there are further techs to reduce unrest, I'm fairly early in right now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: February 26, 2018, 04:40:33 pm »

Also, it seems that garrisoning armies doesn't knock down unrest anymore.  This is sort of a problem when you play with slaves, and the tooltip indicates that you should be able to lower it with garrisoned armies, so I think it's a bug. Anyone else notice that, or discover any workarounds?

Assault armies (AKA the kind that can pack up and leave the planet) don't count as garrisons anymore and don't reduce unrest. You have to build the fortress/garrison building on the planet to reduce unrest, but I believe that the reduction tied to the building itself and not the troops. So it's not a bug so much as tooltips not being updated properly.

I would also like to mention that the current war exhaustion system makes perfect sense to me. They just have to tweak the numbers around a lot so that ticking exhaustion isn't so painful and big, country-ending wars result in significantly less war exhaustion than quick land grabs. Conceptionally it's fine the way it is. The implementation just needs improvement.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: February 26, 2018, 04:45:47 pm »

actually, turns out the AI cheats on resources, even on Normal

contrary to what the game tells us

according to this, anyway: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ai-pays-half-mineral-maintenance-ships-and-consumer-goods-on-normal.1072648/

Aww man... this is big.  And reading through it, this has been in the game since launch.  They proudly announce that the AI doesn't cheat, so just learn to play better if you're losing.  And then it turns out the AI pays half maintenance costs on normal mode.  Devs are remaining silent... part of the reason I ended up getting this game is that supposedly it was a 4X where the AI didn't cheat to be competitive!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: February 26, 2018, 04:55:48 pm »

i just realized that feudalism is an option for my vassal states plan. it seems to make vassals more autonomous and takes out strength when it comes to calculating relations.

time to make the holy roman space empire.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: February 26, 2018, 05:16:41 pm »

It doesn't take out strength, it halves it. Which is helpful for making your AI vassals like you, but honestly not helpful enough to make any meaningful difference a lot of the time. Tbh it's almost more of a roleplaying thing, to let you see a little green loyal instead of a red disloyal in some cases. AI won't rebel even if they really really really hate you if you have a bigger fleet them them, so rebellions only happen when your fleet is trashed, and if your fleet is trashed and you have a big empire, that's normally going to be enough to set off rebellions anyway in any vassals that don't really like you naturally, presumably though having the same government type.

Also vassal relationships are sorta fucked right now by the claim system. I'm playing the overlord in my current game and one vassal I've had for about 150 years, they still have a -185 negative to our relationship from claims they've held onto that whole time. Since AI never releases claims anyone who ever claims any of your space (such as the nation that you're attacking to vasalize) will hate you forever.

I guess you can conquer other empires and then spit out their lands into new vassal states that presumably won't get claims on you, and then the trait could actually be helpful... Although then you have to agonizingly give them system after system over the course of like 20 trade deals (at least, afaik, I thought there must be a better way to make new vassals, but I couldn't find one.)

I really enjoy taking vassals, as I hate sectors, don't want to micromanage a bunch of planets, and hate federations (I'd rather everyone just give me part of their income and let me handle the rest... Although I've heard because of the absolute fleet cap that might not be as possible in this version in the late game.) and so I've played plenty of overlord focused games, both with and without the feudalism civic, and I'll say I never noticed a significant difference.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:28:12 pm by Criptfeind »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5936 on: February 26, 2018, 05:28:11 pm »

So at the start of the war, I was caught unprepared. So the enemy occupied about 8 of my systems, including a planet.
I built up and pushed them back, destroying their fleet a few times, eventually getting the warscore tied up, at around 84. 
At this point, 4 of my systems are still occupied by them.
I move in to take another system, and fight another enemy fleet.  The instant combat ends, I get a message from the AI that started the war, saying it's over, and it's a status quo.  I have no option but to agree.
What happened here is that your war exhaustion hit 100% after that combat. The AI proposed a status quo peace and you cannot refuse them if you're at 100%. They're already changing this for next patch, where you can refuse but you will suffer severe penalties on unity and influence income for fighting an unwanted war, so the choice will be yours.

This is correct. ONLY defensive buildings such as forts built on planets or certain edicts will knock down unrest. You CANNOT garrison assault armies, and defense armies are generated automatically.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: February 26, 2018, 05:31:27 pm »

I'll put in my two cents on slaves and unrest, I've not had any issues with slave keeping thus far. I have a planet that has maybe 19-20 slaves and 3-4 non slaves on it, I have the unity anti unrest perk and the slave processing center, but no fortress on that planet. And they've not caused enough unrest to make any issues, so it feels like slave unrest isn't really a big deal.

I DO have unrest when I take enemy planets that's hard to deal with. Not sure what you're suppose to do with that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5938 on: February 26, 2018, 05:46:10 pm »

I usually deal with it by declaring martial law and building a fortress or two.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5939 on: February 26, 2018, 05:50:37 pm »

In my current game the worm just flipped all of my militarist pops (95%) to pacifist during a war. Every world went into unrest. I built a fortress on each worked by a robot pop giving them all unrest reduction and declared martial law. I put a deep space black site in orbit of each world to increase governing ethics attraction. 10 years later more than half have flipped back to militarist.
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 632