Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1726799 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1305 on: April 07, 2016, 08:48:05 pm »

The same sphere? Really? Wow, I was expecting unique spheres. Things'd get pretty boring when everything's the same sphere.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 07, 2016, 09:04:15 pm »

> same sphere

Yeah, they should at least use some dodecahedrons.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 08, 2016, 11:20:51 am »

The same sphere? Really? Wow, I was expecting unique spheres. Things'd get pretty boring when everything's the same sphere.
That wasn't really a complaint, I was just putting a qualifier on my pedantry to avoid getting pedanted back.

Although it does look like it was clearly something they threw together quickly in response to the complaints about the (shitty looking) previous black hole. It still doesn't look much like a real one would but it's a big improvement and the best we could expect in the time that they had to address the issue. Proper gravitic lensing would have almost certainly involved engine changes, and I guess making the black hole look truly matte is non-trivial as well.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 08, 2016, 11:54:16 am »

honestly i still want to actually be able to RUN the game so the less visually-cool but resource-intensive entirely-fluff stuff going on, the better
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 08, 2016, 01:55:38 pm »

It still doesn't look much like a real one would but it's a big improvement and the best we could expect in the time that they had to address the issue. Proper gravitic lensing would have almost certainly involved engine changes, and I guess making the black hole look truly matte is non-trivial as well.
They're pretty clearly going for the Interstellar-style black hole, which, as I understand it, is one of the more realistic depictions of black holes. Some lensing would be a neat touch, but I think their current black hole is more than adequate.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 08, 2016, 02:12:12 pm »

It still doesn't look much like a real one would but it's a big improvement and the best we could expect in the time that they had to address the issue. Proper gravitic lensing would have almost certainly involved engine changes, and I guess making the black hole look truly matte is non-trivial as well.
They're pretty clearly going for the Interstellar-style black hole, which, as I understand it, is one of the more realistic depictions of black holes. Some lensing would be a neat touch, but I think their current black hole is more than adequate.
I know what they were going for. But the only thing it really has in common with that is being black, round, and having a visible accretion disk (which isn't typical of black holes). A lot of what made it fairly realistic was not included, and the movie depiction didn't even really account for the doppler effect.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 08, 2016, 02:49:57 pm »

Uh-oh, guys! Paradox didn't fully take into account the workings of relativistic physics in their depictions of black holes. Game's ruined. Pack it up, it's all over. Let's go home.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 08, 2016, 02:52:15 pm »

Such a good passive agressive comment, advances the discussion so much.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 08, 2016, 02:57:11 pm »

b-b-but i liked that comment :(

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 08, 2016, 03:58:52 pm »

Uh-oh, guys! Paradox didn't fully take into account the workings of relativistic physics in their depictions of black holes. Game's ruined. Pack it up, it's all over. Let's go home.

Not just in their depictions of black holes. There's no time dilation, either.

Sure, game's not "ruined." But it's an oversimplified depiction of the universe. Much like their depiction of feudalism, the Renaissance, mid-20th century European politics, China at basically any point in time...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 08, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »

I think I remember hearing about some indie game that tried to take account for time dilation, back in the 00's?
No idea what happened to it

I guess my point is that time dilation is practically impossible to simulate in a multiplayer game, and a nightmare to actually depict.  Though the latter might be interesting.

(I did like how they managed it in Payday 2.  Time slows down for a few seconds when you get incapacitated, but presumably it catches you back up with the other players.  Hard to say because there were a lot of absurd desync bugs when I was playing, mostly soon after the release)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 08, 2016, 04:16:51 pm »

I think I remember hearing about some indie game that tried to take account for time dilation, back in the 00's?
No idea what happened to it

I guess my point is that time dilation is practically impossible to simulate in a multiplayer game, and a nightmare to actually depict.  Though the latter might be interesting.

In this case it's not so hard, and there are plenty of things it should affect. Leaders should age slower, and get less research done, while at warp. Repairs should be slower for a fleet at warp (also true of general maintenance for troops and ships, too).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1317 on: April 08, 2016, 08:29:49 pm »

I doubt Paradox's ability to get that to work in multiplayer honestly
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:59 pm »

It also seems pretty unnecessary, the physics of the game are already all clearly just spess magiks anyway. Time dilation and stuff seems like an unnecessary complication that doesn't actually make it more realistic anyway.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 08, 2016, 09:05:30 pm »

While a novel idea, it seems a bit much to pack into a grand-strategy/4x game. Frankly, in this scenario I don't think it really matters how "realistically" space is represented so long as the core mechanics are satisfying.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 632