Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1727168 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2015, 08:55:44 pm »

Strategy is more about diplomatie and empire management from the get go, 4X is you start small and explore expand and exterminate, while in strategy most of the time there is very limited exploration, expansion is in 90% of the time directly relate to the extermination while in 4X there is expansion without warfare in the starts.

You forgot embrace and extend!

(No, I don't remember what the 4th X actually was. Or what MOO3's 5th X was either.)
It's eXplore the map, eXpand your base, eXploit the bugs, Extend the metaphor, eXact revenge, eXterminate others and still Exist at the end. Unless you're good at math, that's 4x in a nutshell.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2015, 08:59:12 pm »

Strategy is more about diplomatie and empire management from the get go, 4X is you start small and explore expand and exterminate, while in strategy most of the time there is very limited exploration, expansion is in 90% of the time directly relate to the extermination while in 4X there is expansion without warfare in the starts.

You forgot embrace and extend!

(No, I don't remember what the 4th X actually was. Or what MOO3's 5th X was either.)
It's eXplore the map, eXpand your base, eXploit the bugs, eXtend the metaphor, eXact revenge, eXterminate others and still Exist at the end. Unless you're good at math, that's 4x in a nutshell.
You forgot eXchange diplomatic things for tech you want taken from the AI, if you aren't ahead of them already.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2015, 09:44:56 pm »

Exploration and discovery will play a “huge part,” particularly in the early game period, which was likened to sending out groups of heroes to delve dungeons in an RPG. Except your RPG heroes will be scientists. In a similar vein, it was hinted that Stellaris will have a rather non-tradition approach to tech, distributing it through discovery like loot (or cards in a collectible card game,) rather than in a tech tree.

Once you bump into alien empires around the mid-game period, the title becomes more like Crusader Kings 2 or EUIV, with the same complexity to diplomacy and warfare. Towards the end-game, population in your empire becomes more diverse and separate factions may begin to form and agitate for change. Paradox offered the example of a robot worker revolution as a possible galactic crisis that can emerge.

Mmm... That seems like a lot of stuff. I don't doubt Paradox's ability to overcomplicate things... actually I rather like it... but that seems a bit ambitious.

Wouldn't want another Spore on our hands.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2015, 09:47:13 pm »

wait, what if this game is Spore done right?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2015, 09:57:20 pm »

Spore didn't have Victoria-like population. So this is already better.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2015, 12:30:46 am »

Gosh, I hope that PI makes Victoria 3. They seem to learn much since Vic2. With EU4 and whats been shown of HoI3, they seem to finally really crack how to make good UI for their games, and how to control the flow of information to the player. Mechanically, they seem to be about the same.

Really think they could make Vic3, into a pretty good game into a pretty great one.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2015, 04:27:22 am »

PTW, long live the hype.

Gosh, I hope that PI makes Victoria 3. They seem to learn much since Vic2. With EU4 and whats been shown of HoI3, they seem to finally really crack how to make good UI for their games, and how to control the flow of information to the player. Mechanically, they seem to be about the same.

Really think they could make Vic3, into a pretty good game into a pretty great one.
Indeed.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2015, 04:38:23 am »

RPS article.
I'm confused by the rampant optimism in the comments. Usually people just go to complain and condemn before anything is even out.

Sounds pretty ambitious, anyway! New ideas! Throwing away a lot of the usual 4X formula! The possibility, seemingly, to replicate the Great Crusade and 40k (or a lot of other famous scifi cultures, such as the Culture)! I need to watch my hype levels, damn.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2015, 04:42:03 am »

UI is one thing, but I wouldn't want a Victoria with a mana system.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2015, 05:01:03 am »

RPS makes this sound like a Messiah game, but... It reminds me of Runemaster and Magna Mundi. I hope this doesn't turn out be another vaporware game, so many moving parts means there is a risk of trouble when trying to fit them together.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2015, 06:27:21 am »

Quote from: RPS article
Planetary management involves shifting civilians from one tile to another to gather the resources needed. Buildings enjoy adjacency bonuses if placed next to similar structures. So far, so familiar. The introduction of blocker tiles complicates matters slightly. An otherwise desirable piece of land might contain dangerous wildlife that must be cleared out and a random event might cause that wildlife to spread across the planet. Or a giant sinkhole might open up, requiring specific tech to seal it so that the land can be reclaimed. Worse still, interfering with that sinkhole might interrupt a subtarranean race, leading to an invasion from the depths.

Am I the only one scared by this? If I only have one planet, not much else to do so, sure it's nice having something to do. But once I reach the point of having dozens of planets this seems like such a hassle.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2015, 07:08:02 am »

"There’s so much more: observation posts to monitor planetbound species, either non-aggressively or with added abductions and invasive surgeries; pre-sentient species that can be genetically modified and controlled; genocide and enslavement."

Welp, I'm becoming The Dominion as quickly as possible.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2015, 07:10:22 am »

Quote from: RPS article
Planetary management involves shifting civilians from one tile to another to gather the resources needed. Buildings enjoy adjacency bonuses if placed next to similar structures. So far, so familiar. The introduction of blocker tiles complicates matters slightly. An otherwise desirable piece of land might contain dangerous wildlife that must be cleared out and a random event might cause that wildlife to spread across the planet. Or a giant sinkhole might open up, requiring specific tech to seal it so that the land can be reclaimed. Worse still, interfering with that sinkhole might interrupt a subtarranean race, leading to an invasion from the depths.

Am I the only one scared by this? If I only have one planet, not much else to do so, sure it's nice having something to do. But once I reach the point of having dozens of planets this seems like such a hassle.

If it is done like in Victoria II you don't need to micromanage, but you can if you like. In VicII it basically depends on your economical system; planned economy (aka communism) is micromanagers dream while laissez-faire is..well...hands-off. I hope they will include something similar where the political system actually affects your play style.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2015, 07:34:32 am »

"There’s so much more: observation posts to monitor planetbound species, either non-aggressively or with added abductions and invasive surgeries; pre-sentient species that can be genetically modified and controlled; genocide and enslavement."

Welp, I'm becoming The Dominion as quickly as possible.
Time to make an army of abducted aliens Ethereal style (while watching out for any XCOM-esque organizations)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:51 am »

"Comet Sighted" needs to be an event.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 632