Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1727091 times)

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2015, 11:15:47 am »

And a Space Pope.

This.

This is what we truly need.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2015, 11:48:16 am »

Spoiler: Brought to you by (click to show/hide)

On another note, I am indeed excited for this. Sounds like a fun title, regardless if it's a totally awesome 4x with all these details.

I just like paradox grand stategies :P

(please be vicky 2 in space)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2015, 01:08:36 pm »

I really don't see any difference between 4x and grand strategies. I mean, possibly the explore part is taken out, but other than that I would say they are one and the same.

If it was a really good 4x I'd be very happy with it - and we certainly don't know enough to judge that yet- but from the few screen shots I've seen I've not seen anything ground breaking. My sincere hope is that they bring diplomacy, espionage and intrigue to the forefront. In most space games it's pretty much an afterthought, and it could be something that elevates it above the usual if they put enough effort into that side of it.

My biggest fear is that they'll just phone it in and produce a by-the-numbers space 4x. Really don't need another of those.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2015, 01:11:50 pm »

I suspect it will be more like a CK type thing... characters will be very important, along with the politics that come with it.  Think fuedal lords, except instead of provinces you have planets.

That would be radical.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2015, 01:13:10 pm »

In any case, their livestream where the offical announcement (along with more details I hope) is going to happen in less than twenty minutes.

Here: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2015, 01:16:44 pm »

It all reminds me of this 5X game Texashawk is making, just commercialized.
It's called Imperia.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2015, 02:33:22 pm »

They also mentioned that research is randomized (described as like "a random loot system"). I'm guessing you need to find stuff to trigger certain research opportunities.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2015, 02:38:30 pm »

That would make sense considering that all the planet screens and the trailer mentioned research potential of some sort. So I'm thinking you'll need to develop your research network to new and interesting places that might have artefacts or something else to help with teching. That sounds pretty cool actually, a rather proactive approach that requires expansion in order to advance, and in a more tangible way than more cash=more tech.

Still, dissappointgly little info overall.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2015, 02:42:14 pm »

If you compared this to the early blob of the XCOM2 thread, would it have more information or less so far?

Also Spaaaaaaaaaace! :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2015, 05:13:25 pm »

Love paradox games, love space game, quite sure it will end up a very good game even if its not what we think it will be. Kinda like how Xcom turned out. Was disapointed toward multiple gameplay element yet still loved the game. I think i was more pissed off about using nostalgia to build up hype yet making a game very different than what oldcom was.

Back on topic, yeah i loved paradox game and i love space game, love their depth, attention to detail ( not speaking graphic wise... ) etc. Eagerly waiting more information.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2015, 05:21:23 pm »

Fortunately for Stellaris, there is no nostalgia, so we just get plain hype instead.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2015, 07:17:39 pm »

On the 4X topic, technically EU has exploration, colonization, research, warfare etc.

It's clearly grand strategy and not 4X though. I think the distinction is obvious when you're playing if not easy to describe.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2015, 07:26:02 pm »

Strategy is more about diplomatie and empire management from the get go, 4X is you start small and explore expand and exterminate, while in strategy most of the time there is very limited exploration, expansion is in 90% of the time directly relate to the extermination while in 4X there is expansion without warfare in the starts.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2015, 07:27:46 pm »

Strategy is more about diplomatie and empire management from the get go, 4X is you start small and explore expand and exterminate, while in strategy most of the time there is very limited exploration, expansion is in 90% of the time directly relate to the extermination while in 4X there is expansion without warfare in the starts.

Historically speaking, you can go either route in most PI games.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2015, 08:41:13 pm »

You forgot embrace and extend!

(No, I don't remember what the 4th X actually was. Or what MOO3's 5th X was either.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 632