Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159223 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1921 Design
« Reply #1020 on: July 31, 2015, 06:35:19 pm »

Unless the enemy throws something really nasty at us, I would say that we need to start working on ships next year, mostly to fuck over their supply lines as we advance back into the jungle.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 31, 2015, 06:39:31 pm »

Alright, since Sensei said it would highly unlikely he'll be able to update before 1am pacific, I am going to go ahead and post my idea for a new fighter.

Spoiler: AS-AF22 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:10:44 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 31, 2015, 06:40:22 pm »

No, maintaining air superiority is far more important. Ships give little for logistic with 1 point of ore is not that important for us at this point of time. I prefer to get more 4 and 6 ore stuff before spending an action on making it cheaper....
To mess with their logistics we need them having transport ships. 

BTW, I hope we are 3 ore, 2 oil, if not, then switch to it.

Ninja: 100kg bombs are not small at all. 25kg maybe
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 31, 2015, 06:42:26 pm »

No, maintaining air superiority is far more important. Ships give little for logistic with 1 point of ore is not that important for us at this point of time. I prefer to get more 4 and 6 ore stuff before spending an action on making it cheaper....
To mess with their logistics we need them having transport ships. 

BTW, I hope we are 3 ore, 2 oil, if not, then switch to it.

Ninja: 100kg bombs are not small at all. 25kg maybe

Heh, whoops, that's 220 pound bombs. Curse you metric!
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 31, 2015, 06:42:45 pm »

Unless the enemy throws something really nasty at us, I would say that we need to start working on ships next year, mostly to fuck over their supply lines as we advance back into the jungle.
A motorcycles are the lightest, fastest vehicles in Forenia at the moment. If we're lucky, our boys might be able to circle around and disrupt their supply lines with them. With all the roads they've created I'm guessing both their infantry and their mechanised units will want to stick to them. Less crawling through mud and tiger attacks after all.

I think a new fighter design to push our air superiority further would be very useful, but a new HMG needs to at least be considered. So far, we have what's basically a heavy LMG and an autocannon with nothing in-between. If not for our AP rounds, we wouldn't have much of a chance at beating their armoured cars in the Jungle. If they develop RHA, even our AP rounds will become useless since our only small arm bullets are 7.76mm. They can only reliably pierce 0 Armour, after all.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Switch trucks to gathering Oil.

EDIT:
Having four machine guns would probably counteract its speed and agility. Mounting bombs would increase the problem. We'd also have to design bombs which might make it more expensive.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:48:15 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 31, 2015, 06:49:07 pm »

So far, we have what's basically a heavy LMG
Now I know that Maxims are heavy LMG :)

Developing small arms is good for mountains, the most important region of all but airforce is good for it, too.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 31, 2015, 06:50:15 pm »

A motorcycles are the lightest, fastest vehicles in Forenia at the moment. If we're lucky, our boys might be able to circle around and disrupt their supply lines with them. With all the roads they've created I'm guessing both their infantry and their mechanised units will want to stick to them. Less crawling through mud and tiger attacks after all.

I think a new fighter design to push our air superiority further would be very useful, but a new HMG needs to at least be considered. So far, we have what's basically a heavy LMG and an autocannon with nothing in-between. If not for our AP rounds, we wouldn't have much of a chance at beating their armoured cars in the Jungle. If they develop RHA, even our AP rounds will become useless since our only small arm bullets are 7.76mm. They can only reliably pierce 0 Armour, after all.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Switch trucks to gathering Oil.

EDIT:
Having four machine guns would probably counteract its speed and agility. Mounting bombs would increase the problem. We'd also have to design bombs which might make it more expensive.

Glory to Arstotzka.

It would have a more powerful engine so it can go faster. If we design with those MGs and/or cannons and two small bombs in mind, it shouldn't be an issue.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 31, 2015, 06:58:28 pm »

Oh, you switched to 2*20mm and 2 machineguns... Way to heavy for air superiority fighter. It has no need for such firepower. One 20mm and 2 machineguns is a much better scheme. 2 machineguns would be enough for current enemies, but perspective ones can cause problems.  And bombs are excessive. Fighters use bombs only when they have no other jobs to do = full air superiority.

Edit: HMG... can't we just revise AS-10 to a larger caliber?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 31, 2015, 07:04:04 pm »

Machineguns using 7.62x54mmR are typically classed as heavy machineguns. Also, why get a new machinegun when our current GPMG (which is what it has been since we designed it) is reliable, stable, and powerful enough still to deal with most targets, and all the things it should be able to kill? Those it cant deal with can be dealt with by the 20mm cannon, which is light enough to be mounted on a friggin motorbike!
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 31, 2015, 07:07:39 pm »

Oh, you switched to 2*20mm and 2 machineguns... Way to heavy for air superiority fighter. It has no need for such firepower. One 20mm and 2 machineguns is a much better scheme. 2 machineguns would be enough for current enemies, but perspective ones can cause problems.  And bombs are excessive. Fighters use bombs only when they have no other jobs to do = full air superiority.

Edit: HMG... can't we just revise AS-10 to a larger caliber?
You know, I keep forgetting firing through the propshaft is a thing. Let's go with that. As for the bombs, they are optional and can be omitted from the design, but are a nice thing to have.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 31, 2015, 07:08:25 pm »

Machineguns using 7.62x54mmR are typically classed as heavy machineguns. Also, why get a new machinegun when our current GPMG (which is what it has been since we designed it) is reliable, stable, and powerful enough still to deal with most targets, and all the things it should be able to kill? Those it cant deal with can be dealt with by the 20mm cannon, which is light enough to be mounted on a friggin motorbike!

Actually, the engineers decided the AC18 was too cumbersome to mount in a sidecar(either bad roll, or whatever) :P

Edit:Fixed my idea so it has a single AC18 firing through the propshaft(plus two wing mounted MGs) it explicitly has a better engine, and the hardpoints are completely secondary to the design and can be omitted if this impacts performance too much.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:12:12 pm by tryrar »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 31, 2015, 07:27:36 pm »

I want to try something like this:

"Improve uniforms uniforms of our servicemen. Introduce several variants of terrain specific camouflaged uniform for our infantry, fire-resistant uniforms for our vehicle crews, flak vests for operators of stationary emplacements and parachutes for our pilots"

Is it revision or design? Do I try to put too much in a single action?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 31, 2015, 07:28:50 pm »

Ah, now I see that. It was buried under the piles of eugenics propaganda.

Well, its still the main weapon for our armored car, which can go anywhere their armor can go...

-ninja edit-

It should be a revision, it was last time.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 31, 2015, 07:31:23 pm »

So, I was thinking should nothing go wrong with whatever we design, we should definitely focus on logistics in some fashion. I say we revise our train network to push further into the plains.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 31, 2015, 07:52:04 pm »

I think that would be a revision, since thats what building roads/railroads are.

Also, dident Sensei say that we can still use boats for logistics in the plains, and that we just cant base ships there?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 217