Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159648 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1919 Production
« Reply #690 on: July 29, 2015, 07:49:12 am »

Harry needs to get that pickle out and do something useful. Like mess with the aircraft the planed last year that they probably built this year.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 29, 2015, 07:51:06 am »

they (likely) have an aircraft as well? our flying brick is going to have a lot of trouble...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 29, 2015, 07:52:49 am »

Unless they changed something, or dident build it this year, they have a twin MG biplane with a 4 foot antenna sticking out the top.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 29, 2015, 07:54:26 am »

Mountain Howitzer made from light alloys.
+ Gives mountain troops serious punch
+ supplements AS-1912 on other fronts even if it is lighter than a proper howitzer
+ gives experience in light alloys for future use in aviation
This isn't the greatest idea, at least not for the Mountains. First of all, getting a mountain howitzer might not be possible. The smallest artillery we managed to get there is the Light Mortar. Even the AC18 is too big.
Second, I think I've figured out what's important for each terrain. In the trenches, artillery is the most important factor. In the Jungle, CQC is the most important factor. In the Mountains, marksmanship is the most important factor. Neither side gets an advantage in trenches. Moskurg gets an advantage in the Jungle due to being better at CQC and in hot weather. Arstotzka gets an advantage in the Mountains due to being better at long-range shooting and cold weather (though Moskurg has never seemed inconvenienced by the cold).

If we want to do well in the Mountains, mobility and long-range combat is what we should focus on. Our Light Mortar being very good at both mobility and long-range combat is what allowed it to be so useful in the Mountains. It's also why our Nosin and our SAR are useful.The SMG isn't useful due to not being suited to long-range combat and artillery won't be useful due to its issues with mobility (and also it's impossible to field them.) If we got a decent motorbike, that might've given our SMGs enough mobility to counter-act their poor performance at long range, but a light machine gun would be much more useful, being portable but capable of long-range combat. In most battle reports, the Brumby - Moskurg's light machine gun - is stated as the reason why they're able to hold the line.

So yeah, no matter how light we make the howitzer it's not going to be lighter than the autocannon, and we are unable to field it despite being light enough for our men to carry by hand. If we want to win in the Mountains, we'll have to go with snipers, LMGs, or aircraft to disrupt their logistics.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:04:34 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 29, 2015, 07:54:58 am »

Oh, I didn't know they had a plane, I shall get right on that.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 29, 2015, 07:56:30 am »

He's not saying they have a plane, he's saying they've designed a plane but only in the same way we've designed an observation balloon or an SMG. They have put no plane through the Design phase.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:04:48 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 29, 2015, 07:57:51 am »

Don't send our spy out. The enemy has two, and that means they will try to screw something of us, and they can at the same time defend their own projects. Sending a spy is asking for him to be killed, and then the enemy can steal everything they want.

He's not saying they have a plane, he's saying they've designed a plane but only in the same way we've designed an observation balloon or an SMG. They have put no plane through the Design phase.
Yes they have. They build a biplane this turn.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 29, 2015, 07:58:54 am »

I was going to say "that we know of", but EBBOR! I hope pickle gave you that info, and notcheating like a dirty imperialist tigerfucker.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 29, 2015, 07:59:45 am »

We are making smgs right now though, so they are making them? Also has anyone ever thought about assassinating their spies?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 29, 2015, 08:01:19 am »

I was going to say "that we know of", but EBBOR! I hope pickle gave you that info, and notcheating like a dirty imperialist tigerfucker.
Reading the enemy thread for espionage purpose is alright. I normally don't share anything, but I will prevent misinformation.

We are making smgs right now though, so they are making them? Also has anyone ever thought about assassinating their spies?
We can't. Spies not attacking are safe, and spys attacking are killed by us assigning spies to counterespionage.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 29, 2015, 08:03:06 am »

that second spy is an enormous advantage. I hope we get another spy contest soonish, so we can get on par.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 29, 2015, 08:05:08 am »

Was our second design slot only for this year? And if so, why do they get to keep their massive bonus?
/whine
Highly Opinionated Fool

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 29, 2015, 08:09:00 am »

First of all, getting a mountain howitzer might not be possible
The world knew many mountain howitzers and it was a common weapon of WW1 era. But I am starting to suspect that those mountains are very very steep, considering that there are no bikes or 20mm autocannons. New 7.62 machineguns looks like the best solution in this case.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 29, 2015, 08:31:45 am »

Was our second design slot only for this year? And if so, why do they get to keep their massive bonus?
/whine

Well, the GM has to keep those filthy Moksburger in the war somehow, or glorious Arstotzka would have won by 1909.

Also, ebbor, our spy respawn if he dies. I still think we should play defensively to try to kill off their spy though.

For our design, I support a new machinegun. Their brumby is the one weapon which gives them an edge.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 29, 2015, 08:32:33 am »

We seem to have mid range nailed down, we still have to deal with long range tho...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 217