Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: The Doctor's Cipher.  (Read 36391 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: The Doctor's Cipher.
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2015, 08:31:07 pm »

Double Trigrams:
It could be an unused character (noise, for no real reason other than to confuse would-be codebreakers?), or perhaps it represents some sort of special character?
To be honest, I am very out of my depth here.  My depth, in this case, is ROT13.

Did we try plugging in that signature, seeing if we get anything meaningful out?  I mean, we have a few common letters there.

Do we KNOW he was writing to himself?

Piecewise probable confirm of the Love Doctor VonNost theory?
Wait, brevity.
Key = VonNost.  Now what.
Would...Hm.  This is ENTIRELY random but MAYBE it's VonNost + (or -, capital/lowercase) the letter values, plusminus the actual ciphertext?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:33:17 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2015, 08:34:06 pm »

You won't get anything that specific out of him. It's best not to focus on that bit too heavily anyway: even if you knew what the letters that corresponded to the last handful of letters meant, you still don't have a meaningful way to apply that to the rest of the document.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2015, 10:58:51 pm »

That confirms two things, really:

1)  There is a key
2)  It's not long

1 is probably more of a clue than 2.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2015, 04:29:31 am »

That confirms two things, really:

1)  There is a key
2)  It's not long

1 is probably more of a clue than 2.

Actually, to these points raised by that hint, I would add the following (not quite so certain, unlike the first two, of course):

3)Rhyming might matter (i.e. an answer to "why that particular formatting?")
4)"I am a sucker for flattery" - was there much explicit "flattery" in the last few posts? I don't think so (well, there was some, but I doubt it was enough to warrant a free hint just of itself), so we might actually be up against the point of "wow, guys, I am flattered that you expect such exquisite encrypting madness from me, but I'm afraid it actually wasn't there" - i.e. we're reached the point of overcomplicating the answer

Also, since no one mentioned it so far, I believe, calling out the possibility of the "signature" including "[Firstname] VonNost" or even just "[Firstname]". Was his name ever mentioned anywhere? I don't think so,  but being a fruit hanging so low, I wouldn't put it past Piecewise not to troll our efforts this way (and/or use this opportunity to conveniently tell us his name, but that's a whole different purpose, of course). After all, "You did not ask" is another oldest trick in the book, isn't it?  :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2015, 04:48:37 am »

You won't get anything that specific out of him. It's best not to focus on that bit too heavily anyway: even if you knew what the letters that corresponded to the last handful of letters meant, you still don't have a meaningful way to apply that to the rest of the document.
Like I said, random theory.  And probably silly.

As for overcomplication...Entirely possible.  I still think it references Hapah, but I really have no idea.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2015, 07:27:13 am »

DaVinci (and other inventors) was known to encode a lot of his notes. He would even include errors in illustrations of his inventions, so they wouldn't work properly if one followed the design as specified. This was to keep invention poachers from stealing his ideas. So it is possible that he wrote to himself. It is not necessary, but I think it a reasonable assumption. Besides, I doubt he would end a letter with "Love," anyway. The man strikes me as too cerebral and idealistic (for a given value of idealism)to want to be bogged down by such romantic expression. Even if there were someone he loved enough to use "Love" with, he wouldn't then follow up with "Doctor VonNost." An affectionate term followed by a practical title? a bit jarring.

4)"I am a sucker for flattery" - was there much explicit "flattery" in the last few posts? I don't think so (well, there was some, but I doubt it was enough to warrant a free hint just of itself), so we might actually be up against the point of "wow, guys, I am flattered that you expect such exquisite encrypting madness from me, but I'm afraid it actually wasn't there" - i.e. we're reached the point of overcomplicating the answer
Hapah called him clever and said he values cleverness. His entire post was somewhat praising in tone toward PW and his methodology.

However, I think PW wants this cracked. He's nudged us at least twice before.So the free hint was both a "shucks, you ol' charmer you," and a "come on guys, get on with it."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2015, 10:06:11 am »

Let me know when you want an actual hint. It's been a few months, I think.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2015, 11:06:40 am »

Did Doctor vonost do anything with the theory of relativity, such as time travel expirements

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2015, 11:07:17 am »

Did Doctor vonost do anything with the theory of relativity, such as time travel expirements
No idea. Where are you heading with that line of thought?

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2015, 11:08:05 am »

As in the theory of relativity and that the amount of time spent in space is breif

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2015, 11:37:18 am »

Let me know when you want an actual hint. It's been a few months, I think.
Not just yet. Got a new theory that I wanna work on a little.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2015, 10:03:09 pm »

Aaaargh stupid cipher. Well, smart cipher: I can't get into it!

How many tokens get shaved off the prize for a hint? Or can we ask for a specific amount deducted and get a hint worth about that much?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2015, 12:05:18 am »

Aaaargh stupid cipher. Well, smart cipher: I can't get into it!

How many tokens get shaved off the prize for a hint? Or can we ask for a specific amount deducted and get a hint worth about that much?
I can choose an amount or you can. Either way.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2015, 01:22:37 pm »

Well, what amount of token hint do you guys want? Or am I the only person still working on this any significant amount?

I'm thinking 5 or 10 token's worth.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2015, 01:41:28 pm »

Stuff it. I don't have the concentration atm.

Basically, what if the commonest trigrams were spaces, full stops, and commas? Or other punctuation? Just like PW to encrypt something with Brackets, for example, I'm guessing...

And the rest (because nobody needs x) were bigrams, representing a single letter?

Would this work? Totally taking most of the credit if I'm right.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:56:06 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20