Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley  (Read 50233 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21: Anomaly Exploration
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2015, 11:41:17 pm »

@Maurice "Anything you require sir?"
Follow commands of superior officers.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2015, 02:00:57 am »

"As long as they don't explode in my face or otherwise try to kill me, I'm okay with that idea. Just let me poke them first with the stick."

For the subject that pancaek returns with, begin by poking them with the collapsible pole (from a distance, of course). Should not sudden deadly incidents occur, make a small, careful cut on their arm to see if they bleed. If the subject reacts/is concious, just ask them what's going on.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:51:14 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2015, 04:20:51 am »

@Maurice "Anything you require sir?"
Follow commands of superior officers.
Nothing yet, Konrad. Although... yes, you could record the subject we will be examining; if he or she gives off anything peculiar, the sensors and the camera should be able to pick it up for later study.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2015, 09:25:10 am »

Dig at base of dome like I said last turn.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2015, 11:37:09 am »

"Affirmative, bringing in the subject to your location now. Also, Hasala, Scout around the edge of the anomaly and then get back to the group. For the love of whatever, be careful though."

So, grab one of the students at the edge of the group with my mass amp, one that's a good distance away from our group. Slowly float him over to Maurice and Han. keep him steady a few feet away from Maurice and Han so they can poke him first. If at any point he starts showing signs of life, keep him still and observe. If at any point it starts looking dangerous, fling him back to the group of frozen people.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2015, 12:57:25 pm »

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2015, 03:15:46 pm »

:Roger.:

Keep slowly moving around the edge of the anomaly. Scan continuously for anything out of place with all CamEye modes. Continue tossing a nut or bolt in front of me as I go to check for anomalous effects.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2015, 09:44:33 am »

"One moment, messer-doctor."
Check the bomb.
The bomb is a bomb. It appears to be in working order and the same as before.
So countdown didn't start, right?
No.

Ulrich Leland

"QEC doesn't de-garble at all. All I get is unregocnizable series of symbols and numbers. On other new I think high speed projectiles or projectiles with high kinetic energy may pass the barrier."

Send message though QEC anyway in case Steve can receive it properly: "Unable to communicate".

Move away from Maurice in opposite direction of Hasala along edge of anomaly before Pancaek starts levitating bodies. Observe results of Pancaek's action with my cameyes.

You send your message then scoot out along the wall.

"Right, I'm gonna try something. I'll be off the grid for a minute or so, but that's normal."

Head back to the edge of the dome, and enter Voidspace. If I see Timmy, immediately exit Voidspace. Otherwise, face the direction the dome wall was, and take a couple steps forward, then exit Voidspace to see if I can exit that way.
You want to enter void space inside an already anomalous space?

Now we are in trouble. The sane thing would be to turn back at this point, possibly try to punch through the dome with our weapons and leave; of course, that is not what we would do. The HMRC way would be to barge in, rational considerations of self-preservation be damned.

...What would Milno do?
Perhaps he would wait it out a little more, with careful testing and all. But sometimes the victory lies in quick, decisive actions. However... now yet we wait just a little longer.

Morul, you have my permission to do that experiment. Be brief, though.

Eddie, what's with the dome walls continuing underground?

Hasala, I can see that banner now. Good work.

Pancaek, I don't like the situation, but we have no other choice than to act, so we're going in in a few minutes. Make sure your detachment has scouted all it could without getting dangerously close, including the far side of the anomaly, and then pull back. As for the frozen subject, yank it towards me and Han. Be considerate about your mental endurance, once again.

Han, I want you to examine the subject Pancaek will bring us; I will be beside you. Start with the usual poking procedure, of course.

Everyone, don't wander off without mission leader or team leader permission. We will be moving on very soon, so I want you ready.

(Can we have a map, please?)

Observe Han's examination of the subject body, then examine the body myself. In no way the body is to be touched before it has been poked with a pole by someone from safe distance. During our examination, keep everyone except the medics a couple of meters away from the body.

Be ready to dismember the subject if he starts behaving actively dangerously; separate the head, but don't damage the brain, should it come to that. Rapidly back off if he starts behaving passively or seemingly harmlessly weirdly.

I'll work on getting a map but it's kinda difficult as is. Actually, fuck it. Lets just use this one; it's close enough to what I had in mind and it's all ready all nice and set up and labeled
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We'll say you entered from the south on Park Place and that the group of people is near the fountain over there.  The banner is hanging from the west side of Building 3. The dome is just outside the edge of this map.

"Affirmative, bringing in the subject to your location now. Also, Hasala, Scout around the edge of the anomaly and then get back to the group. For the love of whatever, be careful though."

So, grab one of the students at the edge of the group with my mass amp, one that's a good distance away from our group. Slowly float him over to Maurice and Han. keep him steady a few feet away from Maurice and Han so they can poke him first. If at any point he starts showing signs of life, keep him still and observe. If at any point it starts looking dangerous, fling him back to the group of frozen people.
You attempt to pick up one of the bodies, but it resists being moved. You try on another but it also seems locked in place, as though held. Despite using enough force to lift a car, the body remains completely unmoved and totally unaffected.

:Roger.:

Keep slowly moving around the edge of the anomaly. Scan continuously for anything out of place with all CamEye modes. Continue tossing a nut or bolt in front of me as I go to check for anomalous effects.
You come across more frozen people behind building 8. They appear to be climbing either out of or into the building through a first floor window.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2015, 10:25:39 am »

"I say we take the time to poke one and see if they wake up."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2015, 10:48:25 am »

Hasala marks the building on the Mad Hatter map before speaking.
:Status update; I've found a few more people, frozen in place trying to climb through a ground floor window of Building 8.:

Ok, you guys are gonna have to start telling me how far or how close you're getting to any of these frozen people. In feet, meters, whatever.
For this action, no closer than I already am. For future reference, how close is that? And about how far is it between the window those people were climbing through, and the edge of the anomaly?

Take a look through the window they were climbing through, without moving any closer. Anything interesting?

If I can see the frozen peoples' faces, use zoom function to get a look at where their eyes are looking.

Try tossing a bolt through the window. If it goes through unobstructed and I can see inside, take note of whether it looks like any of the snow has blown into the building through the window.

Look for Building 8's door. Is it barred/locked/etc.?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:16:49 pm by swordsmith04 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2015, 11:23:53 am »

"Doctor, we've got a problem here. I used enough force to lift a damn rhino but they won't budge. Whatever is holding them there is holding them there for good."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2015, 11:31:44 am »

Ulrich Leland

"How about I shoot a bullet over their heads and see if it slows downor otherwise acts oddly?"

Move back near Maurice, and closer to the anomaly boundary. Shoot a bullet over heads of group of frozen people trying to not hit them and observe the result.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:52:00 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2015, 12:07:13 pm »

Ok, you guys are gonna have to start telling me how far or how close you're getting to any of these frozen people. In feet, meters, whatever.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »

((Someone check how close the rescue team I spotted earlier is to the group of people, please.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 12:54:08 pm »

((First I must say: Hoo boy. Now that's a sprawling college campus; for some reason, I expected it to be much, much smaller, like maybe three (large-ish, but still) buildings or something. Oh well, at least now we have a map!

Second: Piecewise is asking for distance. It is unsubtle warning, but then again it's OOC and not something we can avoid sooner or later.
For the record, completely IC: By prior standing orders, no one is to get within 20 feet (Milnopole length) of anomalous shit. Without prior poking, very good reason, and explicit permission, at least. And, well, if that's too close, then too bad because that's the best IC reasoning I can give on this matterEdit: Swordsmith04 has an excellent point, which might change that default distance; however, the matter remains to be suggested and resolved IC yet. By which I mean: Piecewise, for now let's say 20 ft. minimal distance is the baseline for all 'unspecified closeness' movement.

Three, to confirm: Have we scouted the whole area of the campus, more or less? Because that's what we've been doing for the last two or three turns, and without this map I'd swear it sounded like us having accomplished that - i.e. there are no other groups of people, no other details (like those students getting in/out through the windows, or the poster) discernible even from moderate distance, no stark weird shit other than the already mentioned, etc, that we haven't yet seen, waiting for us plainly in the open (i.e., I'm not asking about miniscule details or about what is hidden from view inside the buildings). The next turn actions hinge on whether the preliminary scouting is complete, or not. If sending just one scout is not enough, tell us so; please don't leave room for misunderstanding.))

EDIT: ((In addition to the above, since mid-turn reply is unlikely at this point in time already, here come the turn actions.))
Fly around the dome clockwise, keeping wide distances from people and buildings and keeping to the edge of the dome, examining, camera-recording and mapping everything in plain sight and confirming that we've missed nothing and the whole area is scouted.
Return to the group position after making the circle.

((Yes, I am doing this to settle the question of not fully revealed terrain.))
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:44:18 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33