Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Forget new features for a while... Let's work on optomization  (Read 7392 times)

cata2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Word on the street is there's a lot of optimization that can be done in DF to relieve slow framerates. I, for one, would like to see this take priority over more features in the immediate future.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forget new features for a while... Let's work on optomization
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:38:00 pm »

Is this a troll thread? If not, the usual answer is: we want new features and that would take Toady's precious time away from creating them; most optimization would be a waste of time until the game is in its final version; fps death at this time doesn't absolutely prevent you from exploring most of the features the game has.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 08:39:30 pm »

Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lubricus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 04:34:47 am »

I agree on that to make DF a better game Toady should work on play-ability.
I would say that UI is more important than optimization. The game is so huge and complex so i am impressed with the speed it is running. So the said reality maybe that he has to limit it more with capping the population and the amount of contamination's to minimize the risk of the fps death to fortresses.

But in the end i am confident that Toady will continue to do what he think is fun and develop the game in a way that make it even more interesting

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 04:42:38 am »

The UI is perfect unless you don't want to spend ten minutes learning it.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:20:44 am »

It's funny how the worst part of the interface is the military screen which is also the part he's spent the most effort on making managable.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:32:39 am »

It's funny how the worst part of the interface is the military screen which is also the part he's spent the most effort on making managable.
What? The military screen was the easiest for me to learn. Only one I used no guides at all on.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:29:23 am »

Really? I had the worst time trying to figure out alerts and burrows and such, even with the wiki, I'd say it's the least intuitive part of the game. The basic screen isn't too bad, though, if a bit work intensive.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:34:14 pm »

The UI is perfect unless you don't want to spend ten minutes learning it.
It's far from perfect. I refuse to play past the first migration wave without therapist.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 02:51:23 pm »

Goodness some of you people really need to retract your claws and temper your fanboyism.

Anyhow yes I will say that the Military screen is pretty... incredibly bad and is the one reason why I, to this day, still do not play fortress mode.

There are several levels of "what you need to play" and the military screen actually 'requires' a step by step guide to do.

It reminds me of some of the mechanical work the game used to have and how it required a step by step guide as well... but that was purely optional rather than absolutely vital.

Part of me kind of wishes the game would automate much of the military stuff... "Ok, so half the year I want you to patrol this area... and the rest just rest and train" But NOPE! that is too simple for this game! I need to know the exact names of the months, give the exact rooms for them to train, to say the least.

The military screen is probably one of the most convoluted mechanics I ever seen in a videogame... and the ONLY game I've seen with a more convoluted mechanic was a game where you actually had to program a robot with circuit boards and these boards actually tell you what your robot can do.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:58:23 pm by Neonivek »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 03:07:05 pm »

The military screen is self explanatory. (W)eapons. (A)rmour. (S)hields. Everything is set up to be logical and easy to use.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 03:20:42 pm »

The military screen is self explanatory. (W)eapons. (A)rmour. (S)hields. Everything is set up to be logical and easy to use.

Alright. Now when you select a weapon, how do you ensure they get that weapon? What about armor?

The thing is that everything is set out LIKE it was logical and easy to use... I can easily tell my dwarves to train.

But that doesn't mean they are going to train.

Everything in that military screen requires 3 unseen extra steps to work.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »

Make the uniform to replace the clothing, and set them to be uniformed off duty. Done. You never have to worry about equipment again. Just station them once a season or so if you make weapons and armour once in a while, and assign artifacts to individuals who have good enough skill. Simple as that. Getting a good cloth industry is more complicated and takes more effort. Military takes at most five minutes out of your time.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 05:32:38 pm »

This is a dumb thread. All of this is going to happen eventually. The suggestions forums is to give ideas to Toady and modders, not to whinge about how the Military screen is indecipherable and the framerate drops after a 10-year fort. It'll be fixed eventually. If Toady dropped everything to work on optimizing the game every time he released a major patch, then he'd be months behind actually creating new content.

Just play Masterworks for now; that improves the framerate a bit by removing the 'type' of objects that make up an item and other ways. Leave the suggestions forum for actual suggestions.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 06:01:10 pm »

This is a dumb thread. All of this is going to happen eventually. The suggestions forums is to give ideas to Toady and modders, not to whinge about how the Military screen is indecipherable and the framerate drops after a 10-year fort. It'll be fixed eventually. If Toady dropped everything to work on optimizing the game every time he released a major patch, then he'd be months behind actually creating new content.

Just play Masterworks for now; that improves the framerate a bit by removing the 'type' of objects that make up an item and other ways. Leave the suggestions forum for actual suggestions.
I remember Me oh himself saying that it's been a long time since masterwork improved fps. I mean, it still does those things which provide minor increases, but all the other things added negate them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia
Pages: [1] 2 3 4