Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Morrowind Enhancement 2015  (Read 3193 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Morrowind Enhancement 2015
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:07:26 pm »

So I finally bought a copy of Morrowind during Sick Deals Sale 210X. This is quite a notable thing for me, as Morrowind was one of my favorite games back in the dark age of 2004. I had a 325 hour file...which got corrupted, and taught me to rotate saves. Nonetheless, I never played Morrowind again, until now. While MUTRA is throbbing in anticipation, it is my understanding that the modding community has gotten very good at improving Morrowind in the past ten years, and I'd like to know what I should take away from that. I'm not looking for any major mod expansions, but rather graphical overhauls and fan patches of some of the more infamously broken elements of the game.

My computer is no 4k 120hz blaze it monster, but I can play recent games pretty reliably between 30-60 fps, and maintain a solid 60 on older things. Given Morrowind's...uh...standards, I forsee no problem in running just about any improvement to it. So tell me outlander, what do I need?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Morrowind Enhancement 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:53:52 pm »

Better bodies better bodies better bodies

better bodies

better bodies

It improves the look of the game a million billion times over.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:12:53 pm »

Personally I installed:
Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds And Graphics: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36945/?

And then I installed an up to date version of the Morrowind Code Patch: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/19510/?

(The Overhaul installs it, but it's not the latest version)

The actual site for the Morrowind Overhaul is here: http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/
You can see it's a few years old, but I haven't seen anything easier, and it's even possible to get it working on a modern Windows (though you have to temporarily disable UAC so it's automation of mod installing and configuring can work properly - instructions are included).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 10:19:57 pm »

for bugs you want to grab the patch project & code patch

for removing some expansion-related dumbfuckery you want the delayed dark brotherhood attack mod & solstheim rumor mod

for widescreen and some graphical tweaks you want the graphics extender

if you want a more drastic graphical 'upgrade' look into the morrowind sound and graphics overhaul

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:32:49 am »

I normally just use the overhaul. It includes a lot of the really necessary patch stuff.

for removing some expansion-related dumbfuckery you want the delayed dark brotherhood attack mod & solstheim rumor mod
Oh gawd, I haven't heard of this until you posted it. But yes, much needed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 02:17:24 am »

Number one most important mod is LITERALLY the delayed dark brotherhood attack. That was the stupidest idea on their part ever.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Simon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 03:01:19 am »

As has been mentioned, Morrowind Patch Project is absolutely essential for a neat game experience, really no reason to play without it. Morrowind Code Patch is also available for more advanced tweaks, I found MPP quite satisfactory on its own though.

Also, Better Bodies by Psychodog Studios are also great, if you're looking to smooth out the edges (quite literally). As for facepacks, I never went beyond Better Faces - although it's quite basic, I never felt the need for any other faces beyond what it offers.

I would recommend getting some kind of a No Glow mod, because the plastic ugliness of enchanted items is just... ugly. A mod of this kind removes the glow on magic items, making them bearable (at least for me).

Concerning major graphic overhauls, I never went for 'em. Your best bet (beyond personal recommendations) is visiting some mod-hosting site and checking out the most popular (and their screenshots) ones, they are usually neat looking.

All that being said, I never was one for graphics "enchanting" mods, I always just went with the MPP (or Unofficial Morrowind Patch as it was called back in the day..) and enjoyed the vanilla experience w/o the bugs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:05:13 am by Simon »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 05:46:22 am »

I went for the MPP and complete graphics overhaul. I did find the graphics overhaul did go a bit overboard in some areas though and sometimes made things difficult to proper see in some areas if I remember correctly - it does look much better overall though.

Better bodies is a must, as is better faces.

I think the best thing to do after that is to go on the nexus and choose the other mods that interest you. I know I had one for the UI and a few other tweaks - they've gotten pretty compatible in recent years so there isn't much to worry about with conflicting mods as long as you read the notes and use an installer.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 06:10:18 am »

As has already been mentioned, I will recommend Better Bodies and Better Faces again.

Let's see if I can remember any of the others I tend to install... there was a mod called "Less Generic NPCs" or similar that gave each NPC in various towns (I think the mod ended up covering most but not all towns and cities) unique personalities as well as some giving small quests/tasks for you to complete.

There was a mod for the graphics called "Extended Morrowind Graphics" or something that gave options like increasing draw distance, improved lighting and so on. I never fiddled with it too much as Morrowind starts to crash too much if the settings are put too high I always found.

Simon mentioned another one, a mod that removes that magic glow of items. While the glow itself wasn't too annoying for me, the game has issues with layers when there's rain or you are underwater that causes the magic glow to turn opaque.

Going into more changing mods, there was a mod called "Vampiric Embrace" that extended vampires a fair bit. Added the ability to make NPCs into followers and slaves, safe usage of boat transport as well as many other things I'm surely forgetting. There was also a werewolf mod that gave different types of transformations depending on which moon was full and if they both were.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 03:45:09 pm »

I know you said only graphical overhauls, but hear me out:

Antares Big Mod  http://arcimaestroantares.webs.com/antaresbigmod.htm is a work of art. If you like playing criminals: his "You are being robbed" is vital (it is available from the same website) as it allows muggings, complete with bounty, without necessitating murder.

The description from the website itself is here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It doesn't do it justice. It is detailed enough that trying to hire an Ashlander to take you to a tomb of their tribe, is a fast way to make an enemy of an Ashlander, or that only the Morag Tong will accept assassination writs on Camonna Tong and great house members. It is a total immersion mod, to enable one to play out their fantasies of being head of the temple or a common thug without the game resisting.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:48:20 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 05:09:21 pm »

*cough**cough**cough**agh* http://openmw.org/en/

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 05:21:54 pm »

New openmw will look incredible when done - especially with the new engine!
It may be a while till it's done though!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 05:33:49 pm »

New openmw will look incredible when done - especially with the new engine!
It may be a while till it's done though!
Technically it is done, you are able to play through the main quests and finish the game. For the most part they are leaving out .5 for bugs and additional support like MWSE scripting and exposing more shaders and game resources to be modded.