Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: From The Ashes-Episode 1:Chap 5:In the Dark  (Read 11535 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: From The Ashes-Episode 1:Chap 2:Shelter
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2015, 09:15:19 pm »

Ox looks around curiously, but within standard norms for courtesy when in someone else' home.

"Nice place, Carl. I mean, I think it must have been before. Actually, it isn't too bad now. Hmm, that food doesn't look like it'll last for long. Is there a grocery store nearby? Hey John! How's that little guy you got doing? think Carl would like a bite?" Ox idly scratches ratCal on the head.

"Well, I still have tons of energy. What do you guys want to do until it gets dark out?"

((I'm just a little worried about the air and that gas mask. I mean, it HAS been over a hundred years, but ...))

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2015, 10:56:03 pm »

John immediately heads for the computer and attempts to power it on. He places his new friend nearby and in sight.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2015, 11:04:12 pm »

"I... need to rest."

Nicholas finds a seat and begins to meditate, searching for ambient sources of aether. There probably won't be any(so no mana to harvest), but occasionally dimensional fluxes sent aether into worlds where there should be none.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Vacio

• Bay Watcher
  • I have awoken from my long slumber....
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2015, 11:37:36 pm »

"I'm tired.... I'm gonna read these hobbies guides while I rest. Maybe there will be something useful in them." Annis takes the hobbyist guides and sits down on the most comfortable looking spot in the room.
Discontinued Game
Los Diablos

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2015, 03:12:17 am »

"Gods, what happened out here... Atleast it looks like my sisters are safe..."

"Ah, I dont think we should go out at night, we dont really have much in the way of lights and it looked like there are alot of nocturnal creatures. Lets get some rest and food into ourselves so that tomorrow we are more ready. The gasmask really worries me though, something may still be about..."

Gar hands out food and drink to everyone, then digs around in the pile of books until he finds something on the handgun.

Failing that, he tries to comeup with some form of filter masks for everyone.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2015, 06:49:38 am »

"You guys! it's early yet. Come on, let's at least check out the neighborhood a little before the sun sets. you can't be that tired yet!"

Ox accepts his portion of food gratefully, and offers a bite to ratCarl, but save the rest for when he is really hungry. "Gee, thanks, Carl. You know, you're a pretty swell guy. Um, better save this for later. I'm not really hungry yet, and I don't know when we will next find food. ... You might want to save yours too, everybody."

If anyone agrees to scout out the block with him, Ox will do that, staying close to the apartment. Otherwise, ox will not go alone, even with ratCarl as companion.

"Did you guys know that ratCarl has an extra pair of legs?"

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2015, 08:37:47 am »

Assuming no one wants to scout with ox turn incoming soonish.  Sorry I've been doing full days at work lately so I've not had a lot of time.
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2015, 10:00:51 am »

John immediately heads for the computer and attempts to power it on. He places his new friend nearby and in sight.
It powers on after a few moments of nervous anticipation and then loads to a boot screen you never thought you'd see again...

Now Loading Windows 7...

You curse at gar for using what was already a decades old operating system when you were frozen but decide to fully boot just in case there's anything you can do with it regardless.  As it loads up you study the mouse like creature and notice that it seems to be suffocating in the sealed pop bottle.  Quickly you borrow the knife from Annis and pop a few holes in the top to allow in air only to notice that it seems to be feeding spiderweb like roots through the holes in an attempt to touch your hand.  Pulling back to avoid contact you see the creature almost sadly content itself with creating a wispy bush-shaped growth from the strands out the top of the bottle instead.  Afterwards it doesn't even attempt to touch you again nor try to escape from the bottle though you imagine it could ooze out given enough time as well you observe that artificial lighting like what is inside the apartment and coming from the screen fails to bother the Noj specimen.

About 45 minutes of chewing on ancient rations and drinking stale water later you manage to create a creature database program on the old fashioned computer, so far the only entries are Noj and ratCarl but at the least it's something.

Database:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-40 mental ability
+20 exhaustion

"I... need to rest."

Nicholas finds a seat and begins to meditate, searching for ambient sources of aether. There probably won't be any(so no mana to harvest), but occasionally dimensional fluxes sent aether into worlds where there should be none.
The meditation itself is nearly impossible to achieve, you start to think that you must have been using a small amount of aether before to simply enter this state without realizing.  You suddenly however enter into the familiar trance as you also detect what seems to be a tiny stable tear in this dimension into the Aetheric expanse.  Normally all you'd need to do is link with it mentally and you would have a slow trickle of mana, however it seems to be heavily shielded and located some 150 km's away over land to the west.  Making a mental note of it's location so that you can find it any time you want without wasting so much time again you break the trance an hour later.

-40 mental ability
+20 exhaustion

"I'm tired.... I'm gonna read these hobbies guides while I rest. Maybe there will be something useful in them." Annis takes the hobbyist guides and sits down on the most comfortable looking spot in the room.
You begin the exercise that you call reading which involves flicking your eyes over each page at a relatively rapid pace, to anyone else it would seem that you were simply flicking through a book like you would when looking for a specific page but your brain is able to rapidly absorb the information regardless.  After approximately an hour of reading you've learned a number of mostly useless things like how to build a birdhouse, fix a toaster, how to paint miniatures and the various names of types of snow in Inuit.  One thing you do learn however that is useful enough for you to commit it to long term memory is a short suvivalist guide on sewing, making bone needles, sinew threads and waterproof hide flasks.
-Gained Basic Survivalist sewing techniques
-100 mental ability
+60 exhaustion

"Gods, what happened out here... Atleast it looks like my sisters are safe..."

"Ah, I dont think we should go out at night, we dont really have much in the way of lights and it looked like there are alot of nocturnal creatures. Lets get some rest and food into ourselves so that tomorrow we are more ready. The gasmask really worries me though, something may still be about..."

Gar hands out food and drink to everyone, then digs around in the pile of books until he finds something on the handgun.

Failing that, he tries to comeup with some form of filter masks for everyone.

The handgun apparently has a manual on use located in the stack of books, it tells you about cleaning, taking it apart, how to order additional ammo and parts from the supplier and other general care and troubleshooting techniques for the advanced handgun.  It also explains that the ammo block is a specially designed caseless auto-feed system with the explosives and projectiles being laid on top of another and lightly connected to form the block, very innovative design and entirely impossible to make without highly advanced 3d print machines.  It does not however tell you how to aim, how to stand when firing or anything else useful in actually shooting things... but at least you know where the safety switch is.  Tossing the manual on the bed, you notice a sticker attached to the back of it which fills you with some hope.  It's a manufacturer sticker that gives the street address of where the gun was made and it's only a short drive away from you... you than realize that driving isn't really an option and that 300 km is a pretty darn far distance to walk but knowing where a weapons factory is is always a good thing.

You eat and contemplate getting everyone to tie rags over their mouths but figure it would neither do anything and would probably be too late even if it did.  One thing that does worry you slightly is that your sisters refereed to the disease as the white plague and that mushroom creature John's lugging around is giving off white spores occasionally, but becoming scared of a color probably isn't the best thing for your sanity.
-30 mental ability
-20 mental stability
+30 exhaustion

"You guys! it's early yet. Come on, let's at least check out the neighborhood a little before the sun sets. you can't be that tired yet!"

Ox accepts his portion of food gratefully, and offers a bite to ratCarl, but save the rest for when he is really hungry. "Gee, thanks, Carl. You know, you're a pretty swell guy. Um, better save this for later. I'm not really hungry yet, and I don't know when we will next find food. ... You might want to save yours too, everybody."

If anyone agrees to scout out the block with him, Ox will do that, staying close to the apartment. Otherwise, ox will not go alone, even with ratCarl as companion.

"Did you guys know that ratCarl has an extra pair of legs?"
You eat because you realize that your stomach is empty and it's the best place to store food just in the situation something happens in the night, ratCarl eats with you because that's what everyone else is doing.  You attempt to convince someone to go scouting with you while there's still light out but everyone is nose deep in books, computers or meditation.  You sigh and think that maybe this isn't the best time for the nerds to read things.  Noticing that the sun's going down and that ratCarl hasn't gone for a walk since you found him hours ago you decide it'd be safe enough to just poke your head out for a quick sec to take him out.  The evening is serene and almost makes you feel like it is a camping trip.  Standing in the doorway as ratCarl scurries about in the grass near the apartments step you take in a deep breathe to calm your nerves and long for the world you missed.
-20 exhaustion
-refilled mental stability

quick status:

Database:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:55:43 am by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: From The Ashes-Episode 1:Chap 2:R&R
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2015, 11:45:24 am »

I feed Noj a small piece of meat ration and a small piece of non-meat ration to see what happens. I say small encouraging things as I do so.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2015, 11:54:28 am »

It extends some of the tendrils into the meat ration first, before recoiling away and then knocking it off the top of the bottle.  The cracker however it worms through with gusto and the room fills with the smell of moldy bread.  Your encouragement does not seem to have any real effect aside from maybe making yourself feel a bit better.
+5 mental stability
I feed Noj a small piece of meat ration and a small piece of non-meat ration to see what happens. I say small encouraging things as I do so.
Nom nom nom

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2015, 12:21:47 pm »

((I must know! It's probably going to be bad, but I must know.)) Touch Noj.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2015, 12:27:06 pm »

((I must know! It's probably going to be bad, but I must know.)) Touch Noj.
Shaking in anticipation you slowly extend a finger towards Noj, and it in turn slowly extends a tendril towards you.  At first nothing happens aside from you poking a bundle of fungal fibers and than there is a short, sharp shock as a few hundred needle like fibers worm their way under your skin.  The pain subsides almost immediately followed by the strangest sensation which you've only felt rarely before from certain high end cybernetics.  You get the feeling of an entirely alien piece of material connecting itself to your nervous system and becoming part of your body, as well you get a sense that the Noj specimen is thinking if it's okay with you to continue.
Nom nom nom

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2015, 12:31:48 pm »

Allow it to continue.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2015, 12:44:30 pm »

Allow it to continue.
A few moments later and the Noj specimen is no longer a separate being, nor is it visible as even the holes in your skin grow shut.  You seem to have some vague memories of being a mouse, bird and numerous other small animals but it is faded and blurry like a dream had weeks before.  You hiccup and smell a slight mushroom scent.
Nom nom nom

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2015, 01:16:50 pm »

Attempt to communicate with the Noj mentally. Ask it about itself.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:44:27 pm by Spiderking50 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15