Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Pawns Reboot OOC  (Read 3321 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Pawns Reboot OOC
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2015, 05:13:02 pm »

I have some ideas as to my next action, but would like to ask a few questions before I finalize everything.

How many people are there in each tribe?

As a boon, how much power would it cost to change a pile of stones into

-steel?
-very well-made tools?
-gold?
-gems?
-several animals of moderate size?
-a large tree, which is particularly beautiful and of an unknown species. It is filled with delicious blue fruit, which, when first bitten into, whispers "praise be to Athrux" in the consumer's ear.

Would any of those things be considered particularly valuable or worthless?

If Nishaan said the transformation would occur a day beforehand, and the change occurred in full view of the tribe, would it serve as both evidence for Nishaan's monologue and proof of Athrux's existence?

Do I get a discount on the above boon because it involves changing one thing into another?

You would get a mild discount, but that's a really really broad interpretation of change.

The quality would be determined by the points put in. 4 Points would be enough for a few good tools. Steel depends on the amount of steel you want. Gold will be similar to steal, gems would be more expensive depending on the gem. Animals of larger size would be pretty expensive.

Really its (((input material/output materials)x substance worth)x quality) - any bonus for relation to your sphere.

A big magical transformation in front of the entire tribe that has been predicted by a charismatic individual? That sounds pretty convincing to me.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2015, 05:37:17 pm »

The quality would be determined by the points put in. 4 Points would be enough for a few good tools. Steel depends on the amount of steel you want. Gold will be similar to steal, gems would be more expensive depending on the gem. Animals of larger size would be pretty expensive.

So, assuming the input material consists of as much dirt and stone as Nishaan and anyone else willing to help can gather in about a day, roughly how much gold or steel could be produced per point invested? (As in x-y pounds of steel/gold per point.) The output doesn't need to have perfect quality, but it should be shiny, valuable, and useable enough to make a statement.

Since Nishaan already has a persuasion boon and a small following (not to mention the power of GM confirmation), I assume this is a pretty solid plan. Even so, it seems like having a basic idea of the risk/reward ratio would be a good idea, just in case I roll a 1 and things go horribly wrong.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:41:29 am by Whisperling »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 09:49:06 pm »

You forgot to make them one year older :)

BTW when pawn goes to the next age category their upkeep cost increase, right?

Correct. I'm not sure if each turn is a year, it certainly didn't seem like that during Iituen's version. I'll have to look into that. If it is a year, then I shall make them older.

It was a year, but it's up to you how long you want turns to be in this game.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 11:18:11 pm »

One question before i get my post up. How much time passes between when the star disappears and when the star appears again?

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 06:07:22 am »

wait why did I use 8 power? The final point of power was only to be used if he succeed in getting a good sacrifice.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 12:06:26 pm »

One question before i get my post up. How much time passes between when the star disappears and when the star appears again?

I think it was once a year for three years, then 5 years without. Gosh, I just cant remember of the time aspects.

wait why did I use 8 power? The final point of power was only to be used if he succeed in getting a good sacrifice.

Ah I see. Then you only use 7.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 01:19:00 pm »

From the OP:

Hero Time: During the five years of Hero Time, gods can act normally due to the influence of Fate - in effect each turn is a single year.  In between Hero Time the influence of the gods wanes significantly - turns happen once every 5 years instead, and during this period the actions of mortals are relatively unguided.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2015, 02:25:36 pm »

So, assuming the input material consists of as much dirt and stone as Nishaan and anyone else willing to help can gather in about a day, roughly how much gold or steel could be produced per point invested? (As in x-y pounds of steel/gold per point.) The output doesn't need to have perfect quality, but it should be shiny, valuable, and useable enough to make a statement.

Since Nishaan already has a persuasion boon and a small following (not to mention the power of GM confirmation), I assume this is a pretty solid plan. Even so, it seems like having a basic idea of the risk/reward ratio would be a good idea, just in case I roll a 1 and things go horribly wrong.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 02:38:56 pm »

There is probably a limit on the effectiveness of trying to change large amounts of one substance into a small amount of another. But that's a serious amount of math, so, I'm likely to assign that aspect and additional die roll for effectiveness.

As a result, you'd have a die roll for effectiveness of the transformation with 1 being a slightly bellow the desired amount and 6 being slightly more than the desired amount, with the other numbers being fairly in changing. Then you'd have a roll for the reaction of the followers. 1 would be "we worked all day for that much?! Nope, burn him at the stake" and six being like "We can turn dirt to gold! Let's build a giant church out of gold dirt and take over the world! Mwahahahah!!"

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 06:39:58 pm »

You forgot to make them one year older :)

BTW when pawn goes to the next age category their upkeep cost increase, right?

Correct. I'm not sure if each turn is a year, it certainly didn't seem like that during Iituen's version. I'll have to look into that. If it is a year, then I shall make them older.
How much time passes in a year? I'm worried, because my pawn is 80.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 06:52:37 pm »

365 days.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2015, 06:55:35 pm »

365 days.
Whoops. I meant how much time passes in a turn. Also, when will our pawns die of natural causes?
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2015, 07:11:04 pm »

1 turn = 1 year = 365 days.

I haven't figured that out yet, so I'm not going to let old age get in the way for at least a few turns. There will be a warning before I implement that.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2015, 07:55:05 pm »

As a result, you'd have a die roll for effectiveness of the transformation with 1 being a slightly bellow the desired amount and 6 being slightly more than the desired amount

Yes, but how much gold could you reasonably expect to get per unit of power invested? I'm looking for an amount in units of measurement, not vague terms like the "desired amount." By that logic, I could just say I desired a planet's worth of gold and be done with it.

Basically, I'm looking for a linear equation that says "1 power=x pounds of gold", where x is a general expectation that could then be acted upon by the RNG. If the relationship isn't linear, then what amount of gold could I expect to get after investing 4 or 5 power?

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2015, 08:24:57 pm »

You want a mathematical function for the transformation of dirt into gold. Its 7 plus or minus two philosophers stones. For four power you could get, depending on the dice rolls, a wide variety of ratios, and then another roll for the perception of goodness of this act by the people.

To force this action, which I would normally just approximate, into a mathematical function for you:

Y= ((1d6)P(X^(1/Q))/ 1d6z

P= Power invested
Y= Gold output
X= Input material
Q= Quality of Input material (Low numbers = better material)
Z= Quality of Output material (High numbers = better material)
1d6= a six sided dice

After testing this: for 100 pounds of dirt at 4 power invested, the best option should be about 10 pounds, with the least you can get being slightly over a quarter of a pound. So, at 4 power invested you can get between .25 pounds and 10 pounds of gold depending on your luck. Then your people, may or may not be impressed by this (1+1d10). As the god of change, you would get a refund of 1 power as long as you spent more than one power on this reaction.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:34:39 pm by Spiderking50 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4