Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Customizable Signs/Slabs  (Read 2363 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Customizable Signs/Slabs
« on: July 08, 2015, 03:36:27 pm »

I'd be surprised if this hadn't been suggested. What about signs/slabs that you can leave notes on? I'm talking about a physical object, mind you.

I feel that it would be fun to be able to write things onto signs and slabs. You could leave notes or other info for your adventurers, or just add flavor. In long forts, you could even create tombstones from your favorite dwarves (Here lies Urist McNoble. He suddenly stopped living one day and no one knows why and that's the story. Go away).
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Customizable Signs/Slabs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 05:29:24 pm »

I would like signs for putting next to levers. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:35:05 pm »

I would like signs for putting next to levers.

Exactly! I mean, the current notes system is one thing, but they're kind of abstract in game.

So, let's say you build a vault with a puzzle lock of some kind. Some levers will open the vault, some activate traps, etc etc. Wouldn't it be great if you could leave clues for yourself, or even adventurers to find?  You could post it on DFFD. There could be lots of uses for something like this!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:08:06 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 06:42:11 pm »

Yeah, this would liven up adventure maps, which I'm surprised, come to think of it, I've never heard of. I mean, surely someone will have made their own riddler challenge or something with levers and glass and pressure? And there's arenas, obviously... but this does seem very underdeveloped as a feature, and the signs/slabs might help push the community along!
One wheel short of a wagon

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:17:08 pm »

Would this function like street signs in Adventure mode?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:29 pm »

I think he means you write it yourself, presumably unlike in Bloodborne where you made notes from a selection of words, but where you type your own.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:46:46 pm »

I think he means you write it yourself, presumably unlike in Bloodborne where you made notes from a selection of words, but where you type your own.

I understand that much, but how would you view the text in Fortress Mode? View the object description?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 02:57:29 pm »

With k, I guess. Or t.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 05:27:16 pm »

With k, I guess. Or t.

If you want a long message, neither k nor t will really work. The entire message wouldn't print.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 05:29:02 pm »

Then enter? Like slabs in adventure mode with l, IIRC

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 07:26:06 pm »

A detailed look with k could read the sign, like when you look at the creature descriptions.  Or maybe he could rig something akin to the messages that show up when you breach the caverns or a megabeast shows up. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 01:51:39 pm »

A detailed look at the object would be best, I think. You could select the name of the object in the same way you select an adventurer's name of Fortress name, and add in the description to be viewed in details.

I think it could add a lot of depth. What about succession games? Each overseer could leave a little something for his next-in-line.

Oh, and maybe with the new library update coming, you could write things in a book, or dwarves could record your slab's writings somewhere? It wouldn't have any effect on the civilization's knowledge as a whole, but imagine a succession world where you looked through a library and found the first overseer's note in a library somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:12:51 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 02:07:30 pm »

I actually think DFhack had a plugin for that at least in the 34.11 version of masterwork. 'Tis a neat little function and would be nice to have as part of the vanilla game, so a +1 to this.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 07:28:25 pm »

So this will work as any job order, right? You order a slab to be carved, a dwarf carves it and everything carved is attributed to said dwarf, right?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 08:04:34 pm »

So this will work as any job order, right? You order a slab to be carved, a dwarf carves it and everything carved is attributed to said dwarf, right?

That's what I was thinking of, definitely. I wonder if it could be a separate labor, or maybe tied in to the same skills as dwarves that deal with the libraries in the upcoming release?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:27:22 am by Dunamisdeos »
Pages: [1] 2