Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game  (Read 24731 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2015, 04:36:44 pm »

+1 escaped lurker's plan.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2015, 05:08:35 pm »

Hey, if the adventurers are going to help us, then we must make sure that they don't get spotted, or that the bandits know that we are tracking them.

How about if we tell them either to not get spotted, or to leave no survivors? Maybe taking a bandit prisoner would help.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 27, 2015, 07:16:58 pm »

I am not sure if these adventurers aren't wasted on training our hicks-at-arms. I'd rather have Desan - he'd know who to ask, and they would answer him best, I'd wager - er.. have Desan ask around for anything unusual that normal troops would have a problem with. As in, have him gathering "quests" ;3
Though, really, information on these bandit hideouts should be our top priority.

About the scribe, he has some solid skills under his belt, it seems. Likeable, charismatic even? Yeah, get that guy into our rooster. He'll easily prove his merit. (Just let us hope he can keep his pants on this time around ;o)

The rat-mage, seems like an acceptable choice, given the rewards and possible risks. Which are rather low, I would wager, if we only have him raise spying or scouting rats. We might want to keep him a secret servant though. Maybe give him a hut of his own nearby, where he can ply his trade in peace?

+1

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 27, 2015, 07:24:20 pm »

I am not sure if these adventurers aren't wasted on training our hicks-at-arms. I'd rather have Desan - he'd know who to ask, and they would answer him best, I'd wager - er.. have Desan ask around for anything unusual that normal troops would have a problem with. As in, have him gathering "quests" ;3
Though, really, information on these bandit hideouts should be our top priority.

About the scribe, he has some solid skills under his belt, it seems. Likeable, charismatic even? Yeah, get that guy into our rooster. He'll easily prove his merit. (Just let us hope he can keep his pants on this time around ;o)

The rat-mage, seems like an acceptable choice, given the rewards and possible risks. Which are rather low, I would wager, if we only have him raise spying or scouting rats. We might want to keep him a secret servant though. Maybe give him a hut of his own nearby, where he can ply his trade in peace?

+1
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 27, 2015, 07:35:52 pm »

The only reason I want to wait on sending the adventurers, is because I don't want to risk that scribe in the field. If we are not willing to wait for him to teach map making to somebody expendable, I'm fine with searching for the bandits right away.

If we are going after bandits though, we need to do more prep work than just searching for the bandits. In that case:

-Send Eduard to round up merchants and businessmen looking to invest in building mines, quarries, lumberyards, and other such things near Bleak-Haven. inform them that we will be willing to protect construction sites and clear out nearby bandits in exchange for a 20% personal stake in whatever they build. We are also willing to invest crowns if we must, but only bring that up if it becomes a sticking point.

-Send word to Sir Madagor that we intend to move against bandit camps near Bleak-Haven come mid autumn, and request that he send himself or one of his skilled officers to lead the campaign. Explain that we make this request for two reasons: First that we lack a competent, experienced, and trustworthy military leader among our own advisers, and Secondly that letting the people see him and us working side by side will show that whatever tensions existed between Madagor and the old governor are now in the past. Inform him that he can expect to command 15-20 men from our personal house guard, and 10-15 men from Bonewatch Garrison, and that he is invited but not required to bring troops of his own. We will pass along any Intel we get on the bandit camps as it comes in.

-In attempt to bolster our own numbers, and weaken our ennemy, Pass and publicize the following decree: "In celebration of his ascension to the post of governor, Adeeb Wasirri is offering a brief window of amnesty to all wanted bandits in Dhum-Blud. Those willing to come forward and accept the light penalty of four years indentured servitude will be forgiven of their crimes. Those able to provide their own weapons and armor may instead choose to serve two years as conscripts in the military. Those choosing military conscription who possess the funds to purchase the proper weapons and uniform may apply to instead join the Wasirri Household Guardsmen at the governor's digression. This offer shall stand until the end of the first month of Autumn, at which point Bandits will once again be hunted like the swine they are."

-Audit our existing House Guardsmen. We need to know who has notable skills outside of what they have been trained for, and who, if anybody, is of good birth. As we create and vacate important positions, I would prefer to fill them with people trained to be loyal to us. Also, ask the scribe if he is able to counterfeit papers proving high birth; With some training we should be able to pass any of the outsiders who came with us as nobles.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2015, 07:45:00 pm »

3821, the fourth month of the year, and the second month of spring.

Adeeb Wasirri, Lord Governor of Dhum-Blud
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Councilors, Vassals, Allies and Agents.
Holdings.

You spend the remainder of the month mostly doing as you have, taking a personal interest in making your troops disciplined and readying Eduard for court. Those tasks continue well enough, though little significant progress is made over such a short period of time. In the meantime you take all of the applicants under your service.

Nomegar takes his rats into one of the empty buildings outside the keep, to begin his work there. He explains briefly to you that those rats he currently has are larger and more obedient than normal rats, useful for his own protection but little else. He could set up more than one stock of rats, breeding and altering some as fighters, and others as scouts if you like, or spend his efforts on exclusively encouraging certain traits, if you are of a mind for more immediate, specialized results. If you're not sure yet, in the meantime he plans to breed more intelligent, stronger specimens. He is not currently demanding payment, beyond the place to work undisturbed and sufficient food for both him and his specimens.

After hiring the adventurers you request that they remain ready to head out into the wilderness to explore territory in search of bandits. In preparation for this eventuality you have your new scribe ensure that they have the materials and basic competence for mapmaking in the field, instructing them while they remain at Bonewatch.  The trio is not demanding payment quite yet, but Blaire makes it quite clear that they will be wanting coin eventually. They expect to be supplied by you as they engage in the search through the wilderness, though if need be Hairick can hunt for food at the cost of some of their efficiency. If they have coin for expenses they will be able to be out in the field for longer stretches, resupplying at whatever is closest rather than constantly returning to Bonewatch when they need food. You toy with the idea of using Blaire to assist you in forming a proper force of light cavalry, but you arn't sure about that yet.

You send Desan out with a few members of the garrison to speak with members of the local populace in determining if there are any serious threats currently on your lands that might demand adventurers at some point. He seems surprised that you're asking him to attend to this task, but he leaves without complaint. After a few days he returns, mostly empty handed, save for a few rumours. He explains that there is currently a great deal of dread surrounding the populace's perception of the deeper forests, but that that is more or less always true. There have been a few sightings of straggling Gremlins, but none in groups, indicating that there probably arn't any nearby lairs. Now that spring is here the populace considers it unlikely that bandits will be raiding in much force, though one should expect heavy raiding come harvest time. Mostly the efforts of your direct subjects are focused on planting and attending to the heavy work of spring-time farming. Desan does bring word from your watchtower garrison that they've seen signs of a large group camping and moving around nearby, possibly bandits, or displaced refugees from some hamlet. The difference between those things may just be time, however. They might number anywhere from twenty people to twice that, and they are moving around a lot.

Vest has very little to do currently beyond keep your company, and so you find you take counsel with him often, speaking with him as friends do. He does a lot to ease your worries, and you find yourself glad to have him around, even with his sometimes intense cynicism. When you ask him what he has come to think of your councillors you find his opinion of them has not changed for the better, though there is more nuance to his thoughts on the matter than there was previously. On speaking about Balpher his face settles into a deep scowl. "The man isn't quite as incompetent as i had once thought, but i advise you to be careful of him. When he's feeling the pressure he might manage to serve your interests well enough, but if you allow him to settle in too much he is liable to grow lazy, and take to bullying those underneath him. He's not likely to be dismissed quietly either if you've a mind for that. Be careful he doesn't seek a dagger to slip in between your ribs." He grows a little more contemplative when you ask about the other two. "Well, Aldagor is a giant kiss-ass, and greedy, but i havn't been able to peg much else on him. Desan seems... a little too competent, i wonder what he did to wind up here. He could be a right bastard for all we know, or maybe someone just wanted to get rid of him."

At the end of the month you recieve a message from your other vassal, Sir Madagor. He tells you he will be riding for Bonewatch to present himself at the end of the month. He can manage sooner if it is urgent, but if not he would prefer to see to a few important matters with his own township first.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2015, 07:58:04 pm »

Most of what I suggested still stands. We can now discuss clearing bandits with Sir Madagor personally.

Also, who is for 'promoting' Balpher to the post of emissary to Madagor's court, and not informing him until just before he is scheduled to depart with Madagor?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 27, 2015, 08:23:50 pm »

That group of people could be a serious threat, or an opportunity. We need scouting, preferably without them noticing that we are doing so.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 27, 2015, 08:28:58 pm »

That group of people could be a serious threat, or an opportunity. We need scouting, preferably without them noticing that we are doing so.

Deploy Vest to check them out.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 27, 2015, 08:36:18 pm »

Deploy Vest to check them out.

+1, also get the adventurers supplied with a few packs and a bit of coinage, and get them on their way once they have some basic ability with at least taking notes that can be translated to a map. Also, I like wierd's suggestion on what to do with Balpher, though I'm worried he might try to sabotage our relationship with our vassal. Hrm, the risk is probably worth it though, and then we can promote Desan in his place. As for Aldagor, if all he is is a kiss-ass and greedy, we can deal with that.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 27, 2015, 09:00:58 pm »

I'd rather promote Elerik over Desan. We can be a bit more trusting of Elerik's loyalty.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 27, 2015, 09:51:41 pm »

I'd rather promote Elerik over Desan. We can be a bit more trusting of Elerik's loyalty.

Better idea! +1

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2015, 11:53:08 pm »

Also, who is for 'promoting' Balpher to the post of emissary to Madagor's court, and not informing him until just before he is scheduled to depart with Madagor?

To clarify, would this plot be totally secret until the moment the commander is being pushed out the door, or would certain people know about it before-hand?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2015, 12:10:40 am »

Anyway, while I'm thinking about this game, a few more small suggestions:

Lets see what Aldagor is made of! Pull the old man aside, and tell him that because we need the services of a Barrister so infrequently, we would also like him to take over running the day to day operations of Bleak-Haven. Ask if he has any heirs, and imply that he might get some land and a title, once we reclaim and civilize more land, if he does well.

Assuming the large camping party isn't an immediate threat, swap 10 soldiers from the watchtower with 10 of the least impressive soldiers from the Garrison. This puts more experienced and organized soldiers with our general population, while putting some of our more raw recruits through a boot-camp of sorts.

Ask the scribe to look through our predecessors notes. A trained scribe might spot something we missed or didn't understand.

Ask Nomegar if he knows of other magic users in our lands.

And just to be clear, I still support the actions I suggested before Mlamlah ninja'd me with the turn, other than writing to Sir Madagor.

To clarify, would this plot be totally secret until the moment the commander is being pushed out the door, or would certain people know about it before-hand?

We might run it past Madagor, depending on how the discussion with him goes. I think the plan is to announce the promotion publicly to everybody during dinner the last night Madagor is around. Ideally we get the commander loaded drunk first, so if he does decide to act against us, his plan is unlikely to be all that clever.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2015, 12:56:23 am »

Anyway, while I'm thinking about this game, a few more small suggestions:

Lets see what Aldagor is made of! Pull the old man aside, and tell him that because we need the services of a Barrister so infrequently, we would also like him to take over running the day to day operations of Bleak-Haven. Ask if he has any heirs, and imply that he might get some land and a title, once we reclaim and civilize more land, if he does well.

Assuming the large camping party isn't an immediate threat, swap 10 soldiers from the watchtower with 10 of the least impressive soldiers from the Garrison. This puts more experienced and organized soldiers with our general population, while putting some of our more raw recruits through a boot-camp of sorts.

Ask the scribe to look through our predecessors notes. A trained scribe might spot something we missed or didn't understand.

Ask Nomegar if he knows of other magic users in our lands.

And just to be clear, I still support the actions I suggested before Mlamlah ninja'd me with the turn, other than writing to Sir Madagor.

We might run it past Madagor, depending on how the discussion with him goes. I think the plan is to announce the promotion publicly to everybody during dinner the last night Madagor is around. Ideally we get the commander loaded drunk first, so if he does decide to act against us, his plan is unlikely to be all that clever.

Really, you tend to have the best ideas here. +1 to everything!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22