Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game  (Read 24716 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2015, 02:21:45 am »

Is slavery legal?

Indentured servitude as a punishment is common practice, and serfs are in great supply, though the children of indentured servants are born free. Mostly sale of humans is not legal, but the law on this is not strictly enforced, which has enabled and fed the also illegal prizefighting industry.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2015, 02:36:19 am »

Ok, so what I think we can do here is let him off with a maiming assuming he starts working for us. We should probably change some of those laws as well.

Err... he killed an "Agent of the Crown", much like we are now. If we let him off, and word spreads, daddy might even redact his offer to "help in dire situations".

Having said that, Anyone up for letting him escape, and blaming the failure on Balpher? ;3

As for the specifics, hey, Vest was supposed to be a smuggler, right. Even if the prison is guarded, we can always figure something out, and be it to leave the duty on that specific day to someone also holding a grudge against the previous lord - I'm sure he must have lashed a couple of his soldiers, strung up some of their families, somesuch kind of story.

Alternatively, we would need a corpse. Disfigure it, give it Arin's clothes, declare him succumbing to torture.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:39:21 am by escaped lurker »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2015, 02:47:41 am »

Ok, so what I think we can do here is let him off with a maiming assuming he starts working for us. We should probably change some of those laws as well.

Err... he killed an "Agent of the Crown", much like we are now. If we let him off, and word spreads, daddy might even redact his offer to "help in dire situations".

Having said that, Anyone up for letting him escape, and blaming the failure on Balpher? ;
We're letting him off with a maiming. He also has to work for us and his motive was understandable.

-1 to letting him escape. Justice is not served, we miss out on getting a useful servant, we look incompetent, failure means we look really freaking bad, we have no way to blame it on Balpher, and we have no one to replace Balpher.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2015, 10:43:45 am »

We are alone with him, I say we find out a little bit mroe and then publically we kill him.
I know this is not nice, but he was a slayer of a governor, so there is NO excuse really.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2015, 11:00:19 am »

"Leg-breaking, eh? What sorts of things did he have you and your fellows doing that he couldn't do in his official capacity?"

It seems this guy might know a thing or two about the governor's misdeeds, which may or may not be worth his life. He might also be a lead to the bandits and local underworld if that's what was going on, in which case the minor maiming/enforced servitude option is more appealing.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2015, 12:22:13 pm »

We can tell him anything we want I am fine with that. Afterwards he should still be slain.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2015, 12:37:22 pm »

"Leg-breaking, eh? What sorts of things did he have you and your fellows doing that he couldn't do in his official capacity?"

It seems this guy might know a thing or two about the governor's misdeeds, which may or may not be worth his life. He might also be a lead to the bandits and local underworld if that's what was going on, in which case the minor maiming/enforced servitude option is more appealing.

+1

"Have you at any capacity been involved with the Mayor or the Knight Sir Maggord?"

Yes/No we follow with...

"Have you ever worked for or with any Bandits or Rebellious figures who also wanted the Governor dead? I want to know everyone involved by name."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2015, 02:34:42 pm »

+1

As for how to deal with him when this is done, if his answers from here on are useful, when Vest gets back we can take him with us out past the castle under guise of executing this guy. Instead of killing him we can now hire the supposedly dead man to act as our informant, and agent since Vest alone isn't going to cut it.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2015, 01:43:58 am »

3821, the last winter month of the year.

Governor Adeeb Wasirri
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bonewatch

He shrugs ineffectually at your question. "Mostly stuff that would make him look bad, not that he was good at keeping it hush anyway. Sent us out to put the hurt on people who wern't paying taxes or who were spreading rumours. Paid our bar tab if we broke a couple fingers on whatever poor drunk complaining too loud about him. Had us round up folk to fill up his garrison. That sort of thing." Arin hesitates for a moment before continuing, his eyes flicking between you and the floor several times. "Course that was at first. Eventually he had us spying on folk, and i'm pretty sure he used some of us to off a couple people on the quiet. We were mostly just muscle though, to push people around or make sure he could keep the things he was moving around on the quiet safe. Don't ask me what he was moving around though, cause i don't know."

He closes his eyes after he's finished his explanation. "My throat is too dry to say more, not that there's much more to tell really. If you're gonna hang me now would be a good time to let me know, and if you give me something to wet my lips with first i won't complain."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2015, 01:53:23 am »

"Hang you? That sounds like a waste of good rope, and a useful man. As you are aware there are few people in this region that I know, and even fewer that I can actually put any amount of trust in. Due to this I have an offer for you, I'll give you your life in exchange for you agreeing to aid me in bringing this region into some semblance of order after the reign of less ... competent governors. I'm not going to promise you that the work will be safe, or such drivel as your service to me would bring glory to the crown, but I will promise you coin.

Serve me well, and if I live long enough to bring some order to this place you'll end up a very rich man in this backwater hellhole. Seems a better option than getting stung up doesn't it?"

Try to recruit the man for now.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2015, 02:22:57 am »

Y'know.. I'd be all for recruiting this guy. If we can keep it hush.

If we just get him out of the cell, and "execute" him outside of the castle, people are sure to be doubtful, or might want proof of his death.
We need a convincing reason to not execute him in public.

Actually, some places had their worst criminals go through the swamp as capital punishment.
If we can find a variation of this sort, and just get him out of the supposed death-trap without anyone the wiser, we would keep it very hush indeed.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2015, 01:53:19 pm »

Y'know.. I'd be all for recruiting this guy. If we can keep it hush.

If we just get him out of the cell, and "execute" him outside of the castle, people are sure to be doubtful, or might want proof of his death.
We need a convincing reason to not execute him in public.

Actually, some places had their worst criminals go through the swamp as capital punishment.
If we can find a variation of this sort, and just get him out of the supposed death-trap without anyone the wiser, we would keep it very hush indeed.
+1

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2015, 07:35:48 pm »

3821, the last winter month of the year.

Governor Adeeb Wasirri
Bonewatch
Bleakhaven

Ideas form in your head of ways that you might recruit the prisoner into your service while still making him seem dead. You have very few in your service of any competence, and you find yourself loathe to discard an opportunity to have a decent hired man. A cynical part of you also notes that if the man were legally dead he would be beholden to you to some degree. You have a hard time deciding exactly how you might manage that however, you've heard of men being exiled into a desert or on an empty island in the open sea, but to the best of your knowledge there isn't such a convenient location that you could pretend to send him to. In the meantime, you vaguely tell Arin that he might not see the rope if you can think of a good reason not to hang him. You suppose that in the meantime you can keep him in the dungeon while you make a decision, and deal with him at any time, so long as he doesn't waste away entirely.

After you've spoken with the prisoner you rejoin Aldagor and your guards. Being your legal expert, you ask the barrister if he knows of any less conventional forms of punishment likely to result in the death of the sentenced. After giving some thought the old man responds that he's heard of instances where shamed soldiers have been sent on suicidal missions to challenge mighty monstrosities or afflicted sorcerers, the sort of thing a single man could never hope to withstand. You can't help but shudder at mention of the afflicted, there are good reasons not to delve too deeply into sorcery, reasons that don't brook thinking about.

Vest returns from Bleakhaven a few days after having set out, with news about the town. It and it's people are only just beginning to recover from a particularly savage bout of plague that hit the region years ago. Your subjects are a grim and suspicious people, grown cynical and hard, though also tough and adaptable. There was a general contempt for the former governor, and now a relief that he's been killed. Your friend also noticed that weapons and horses are as of this moment in suspiciously good supply in town, enough so that with the poorly stocked armoury and stable in bonewatch he is inclined to say that your holdings have been looted by the local populace in the month or so since Governor Walder has died. Vest has a strong suspicion that many of your troops have deserted, and suggests you make a full count of every member of your garrison personally. He checked your home in the town, and also found it to be sparsely furnished, though the actual building is of relatively fine quality.
Vest suggests that it might be a good idea to have him check on your vassals, though with the danger and general attitude of the local populace he would feel much better if you were to lend him a few of your guards while you have him sent out. If you did give him some of your guards you could have them travel with him incognito, or in your family's colours, which he suggests might either allow him to operate in secrecy and perform more clandestine information gathering, or increase the visibility of your presence, and allow him to act publicly as your agent.

Each of your advisor's also has suggestions for things that they might do to fill their time. Aldagor suggests that he could look over Walder's personal records and tell you what he finds. Balpher suggests that he might spend some time on your lands recruiting men to fill up your currently meager garrison. Desan suggests that he might begin the next round of tax collecting among your direct subjects early, mentioning that he believes there are some members of the peasantry who have had good times recently and would not be harmed by it, though he also mentions it might be wise to assign him protection while he spends time among the peasantry,as no one likes a tax collector.

GM NOTE
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:02:11 pm by Mlamlah »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2015, 07:55:57 pm »

Read Walders notes yourself
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22