Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Special attack for undead skins  (Read 2643 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Special attack for undead skins
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:13:42 am »

Reanimated Skins should be able to envelop a victim and disguise themselves as a living creature.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Special attack for undead skins
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 05:48:29 pm »

Doesn't happen much due to the kinda deaths you get with undead, but would be a great feature if it happened much. Maybe we should be able to wear people's skin as a disguise?
One wheel short of a wagon

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 06:06:01 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing someone else's skin to confirm it, but somehow I don't think that would make for a convincing disguise up close.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 06:14:24 pm »

Against undead or animals perhaps? Can't help but think of that fantastic scene in Princess Mononoke.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:06:01 pm »

I don't like the idea of a common undead being able to do that sort of stuff. I'd rather have that sort of behavior be reserved for special creatures like evil weather thralls/husks or maybe some new night creature.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 03:34:07 am »

Skin = uncommon undead.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 04:31:44 am »

Necromancer could equip and control undead skin as an exoskeleton to enhance his melee ability.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 04:09:42 pm »

Skin = uncommon undead.

No no, I meant like the type of undead. The animated corpses that necros bring back are (AFAIK) supposed to resemble the stereotypical, mindless walking corpses you usually associate with zombies. I don't feel that this sort of reanimated creature should have any sort of special ability beyond mindless attacking the living. I like the concept, I just feel it should be reserved for other kinds of undead/unique creatures.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 01:21:19 pm »

Skin = uncommon undead.

No no, I meant like the type of undead. The animated corpses that necros bring back are (AFAIK) supposed to resemble the stereotypical, mindless walking corpses you usually associate with zombies. I don't feel that this sort of reanimated creature should have any sort of special ability beyond mindless attacking the living. I like the concept, I just feel it should be reserved for other kinds of undead/unique creatures.

I agree with Witty.  This isn't a bad idea, but I think I would associate it with night trolls, or similar intelligent foes, rather than the standard animated dead. 

Doesn't happen much due to the kinda deaths you get with undead, but would be a great feature if it happened much. Maybe we should be able to wear people's skin as a disguise?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing someone else's skin to confirm it, but somehow I don't think that would make for a convincing disguise up close.
Against undead or animals perhaps?

What I understand of how the undead [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] token works seems to indicate that a disguise of this sort would not be effective. 

It might work on animals.  Supposedly (I'm not sure how reliable my source was on this, so take this with a grain of salt) when deer smell wolves and carrion coming from the same direction, they assume the wolves are scavenging the kill, and therefore not stalking them, so they become less alert.  A human hunter (or dwarf, or whatever else) might be able to exploit this, but the disguise is against scent, not vision. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 12:16:09 pm »

How do even disguise a skin by wrapping it on the outside of something? You'd just make that thing look undead, and even then only when it was the same species.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:17:43 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 02:24:53 pm »

I like the idea of something that takes over a host but maintains the old identity, kind of how vampires work at the moment.  I'm just thinking more of a Go'a'uld internal thing than an external wrapping.  Once discovered, it might hulk out and leave behind any pretense of hiding... or it might decide to off the discoverer in private to maintain the ruse.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 07:55:50 pm »

I concur with the idea of skin lacking the intelligence & muscular control to envelop something for the purposes of anything like a disguise. What I do like, though, is the idea of a necromancer personally cobbling bits of different corpses together, into a Frankenstein-esqe conglomeration of horror . . . or even using his necromantic powers to add body parts to himself. His liver is hemorrhaging blood? Perform a transplant on the fly! Tired of being super-vulnerable once you get spotted? Graft on 6 extra arms and fight back!
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 11:13:58 pm »

His liver is hemorrhaging blood? Perform a transplant on the fly!
I read that as using a fly liver for the transplant. I mean, I wouldn't put it past a dwarf. You know how they love their prepared bumblebee brains and such.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?