Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pawns Reboot  (Read 4934 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Pawns Reboot
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:29:11 am »

With Iituem's permission I'm going to pick up the Pawns game. However, its been dead for a bit so I'm gonna just restart it. I'm hoping to keep it low maintenance, but updated fairly regularly depending on the players. Hopefully this one will go better than the god games I design. The systems are exactly as Iituem designed, I just have more time than they do  :P

"Back to a more traditional vein of God Game this time.  Going for something more low-maintenance.

In Pawns, as you might expect, players take the roles of divine beings.  In this game your deities are almost entirely passive.  Being removed from the mundane world they have an almost unrivalled overview of it, but they cannot act upon it without mortal intermediaries - priests and pawns.

At the start of the game the six gods start out having freshly awakened, awareness of them having only just been kindled in their tribes.  Whether they will guide them as shepherds or prey on them as wolves remains to be seen, but their avenues of interaction are limited:

Magic: You can gift Power to chosen mortals (priests, or perhaps wizards) with which to do magic.  How this magic is applied is limited by the Aspects of magic they know, which is somewhat informed by your Sphere.  You cannot directly tell them what to cast (except via a Pawn), although you can set certain conditions as part of your blessing (e.g. they must sacrifice a person to you before they are eligible to receive Power, and you indicate an expectation that such sacrifices will continue afterwards).  You can withdraw your provision of Power, but only as a blanket measure - if you set up a ritual to allow your priests to draw Power and one goes rogue, you would need to end the ritual entirely, not just for the rogue.  Magic can do pretty much anything, but is limited by Power and complexity.

Boons: At an expenditure of Power you can directly reshape an object or creature, be it animal, believer, non-believer or Pawn in a beneficial way - increasing or improving some aspect of them, or providing a new one.  Healing or restoration is part of this, as is enchanting magical items etc.  Drawbacks can be included, so long as the net gain is 'positive'.  The more Power you invest, the more dramatic the result will be.  If the boon you are granting relates to your Sphere in some way, the effect will be magnified.  If you intend the boon to be hereditary it will cost significantly more or the effect will be significantly weakened.  You can spread the boon over multiple targets with a consummate increase in cost.

Pawns: At a small sustained cost of Power you can designate one of a small number of mortals born when the Hero's Star passes over the world as a Pawn.  You can appear before a Pawn in their dreams or speak to them in their heads, which is the only way you can directly communicate with a mortal.  Depending on how much they worship you, or how much they stand to gain, they may go along with your commands - but how they approach the task will be defined by their personality.

NB: A mortal can be Pawn to multiple gods at once.  When made a Pawn, the mortal can talk back to their patron and be sure to be heard.  Once you designate a Pawn, you cannot undesignate them - that Power drain will remain until they die.  More than this, designating someone a Pawn makes them important to Fate - whether or not you command them their actions will have a significant effect upon the world.

Prayer: Prayer is a way for mortals to speak to you, but it is a one way communication.  Unless coupled with a significant sacrifice, you will tend to hear prayers as broad desires of your worshippers, not specific details.  A prayer with a significant sacrifice can be used to contact you, even by a non-believer.  You would have to make them a Pawn to talk directly back, although you could send a Pawn to talk to them.

To join, post your signup as follows:

Name:
Sphere:
Agenda:
How you appear in dreams:

Spoiler: Important Concepts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Some Rules Regarding Magic and Covenants (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"

Above quote taken from the original thread.

OOC: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151864.msg6364427#msg6364427
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:50:00 am by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pawns Reboot
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:24 am »

Name: Faramin
Sphere: Fire
Agenda: His sphere may seem destructive but his goals are not. He enjoys passion, creative sparks and enthusiasm of human beings and wish them to develop it further. He loves when human use fire in non-destructive ways be it cooking, metallurgy or anything else.
How you appear in dreams: His most usual form is a fireball but often he prefers a humanoid made of fire or some burning object.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:05:05 am »

Name: Anath
Sphere: Night
Agenda: Born from the night, Anath has arisen to make sure those annoying mortals don't pollute his nice and pure darkness with too many light sources. After all, then no one can see the stars. Everyone should go admire the night sky right now! You know, if you don't want to be smote.
How you appear in dreams: A great man shaped shadow, speckled with scattered lights akin to stars and the gleaming expanses of nebulas. Where his face should be is instead a moonscape, of which the craters and other features of a moon make up his face, changing as if it was a normal mortal face instead of, well, a moon.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:07:03 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:07:23 am »

Name: Jack
Sphere: Murder (& Knives)
Agenda: Spreading violence, murder and death.
How you appear in dreams: Jack can only take the form of those who have been murdered, or those who have murdered.  He will usually appear as someone appropriate to the dreamer where possible.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 06:06:25 pm »

I'm probably going to take about the same number as last time. I think we need a good spattering of gods to keep it interesting. If we don't get that many then I may throw in an NPC god or two to mix things up.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 06:46:26 pm »

Name: Athrux
Sphere: Change
Agenda: He seeks to keep the world in constant flux, revising and editing the imperfect aspects of reality in an eternal search for perfection.

How you appear in dreams:
As a light blue, glowing face surrounded by a “halo” of vertical rings. The rings' shape is in a perpetual state of change: curves, angles, and geometric shapes will form, and then disappear again within seconds of their creation. The end result is a chaotic, impermanent series of shapes which seem to follow an ever-changing pattern.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:02:22 pm »

Name:Vashna.
Sphere:Knowledge.
Agenda:To learn the few secrets he does not know and to give knowledge to the world, after all what fun is a secret if you can't tell anyone?
How you appear in dreams:A large tome with the words "Hello my son" on the first page, communicates through making words appear as if someone were writing them in them.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 05:45:55 pm »

Hm, interesting set of gods we have here.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 12:08:44 am »

It really is. I enjoy them. Should I start or wait for more players?

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:40:23 am »

Ah, can I use my character in the old thread?
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 12:46:30 am »

Yeah, that's fine. Just copy it over.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 12:49:53 am »

Name: Aperius
Sphere:
Aether; That which is otherworldly, and that which is eternal.
Agenda: To make sure creation stays complete and eternal. With gods, powerful beings seeking to tip the universe off-balance, Aperius has taken it upon himself to become a very good reason creation stays.. well, created. If the world is on the brink of collapse, Aperius shall be there to hold it up. This does not make him innately good nor evil, he is fundamentally on the side of creation.
How you appear in dreams: Aperius takes the form of a humanoid being made out of a pure, golden light, with powerfully commanding azure eyes wearing bronze armor and a helmet with a horsehair crest in the shape of the sun. He wields a two-handed xiphos that has a hilt engraved the symbol of creation: An eight pointed star with intersecting lines. The blade is also made of the same golden light he is made out of.
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 01:40:18 am »

Name Corvric
Sphere Darkness
Agenda Corvric wishes to bring about a great hunt of all things in an endless night. He believes in the idea of might makes right, however might is more than simply physical strength to him, for Corvric might also comes from the mind and ones cunning. In the light he feels that the weak and the stupid are able to thrive and that in bringing about eternal darkness, true strength can finally prevail in an eternal conflict of might and cunning.
How you appear in Dreams  During the heroes time Corvric appears as a great black wolf with burning red eyes. Outside the Heroes Time Corvic instead appears as a hooded bipedal wolf. Though the only sign he is a wolf in this form are his claws and muzzle, as the rest is covered in a grey-black shawl. If he looks someone in the eyes in this form, it is only then that mortals can see his eyes.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 01:45:39 am »

Name Corvric
Sphere Darkness
Agenda Corvric wishes to bring about a great hunt of all things in an endless night. He believes in the idea of might makes right, however might is more than simply physical strength to him, for Corvric might also comes from the mind and ones cunning. In the light he feels that the weak and the stupid are able to thrive and that in bringing about eternal darkness, true strength can finally prevail in an eternal conflict of might and cunning.
How you appear in Dreams  During the heroes time Corvric appears as a great black wolf with burning red eyes. Outside the Heroes Time Corvic instead appears as a hooded bipedal wolf. Though the only sign he is a wolf in this form are his claws and muzzle, as the rest is covered in a grey-black shawl. If he looks someone in the eyes in this form, it is only then that mortals can see his eyes.

Name: Anath
Sphere: Night
Agenda: Born from the night, Anath has arisen to make sure those annoying mortals don't pollute his nice and pure darkness with too many light sources. After all, then no one can see the stars. Everyone should go admire the night sky right now! You know, if you don't want to be smote.
How you appear in dreams: A great man shaped shadow, speckled with scattered lights akin to stars and the gleaming expanses of nebulas. Where his face should be is instead a moonscape, of which the craters and other features of a moon make up his face, changing as if it was a normal mortal face instead of, well, a moon.

Deny yours very similar to Happery's god. Do you have any interest in making a new one? Otherwise you two need to work out if you are ok with having very similar gods or if one of you wants to change.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 01:45:53 am »

Night and Darkness gods? Poor Aperius is gonna have his hands full by the end of this..

Edit: Ninja'd
carrot cakeu
Pages: [1] 2 3 4