Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Outfoxed - Chapter 1: A Sense of Direction  (Read 14529 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Outfoxed - Chapter 1: A Sense of Direction
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2015, 03:11:32 pm »

"Interesting... a user of magic... hm."

Continue applying fear to the magic-using goblin.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2015, 04:44:18 pm »

If Viri finds the mayor Martingold says that, Viri responds with: "If reason involves giving the captain's leg a severe break and likely giving several guards nightmares, then yes."

"Mayor, is it normal policy for your guard captain to randomly attempt to lock up travelers, fail to provide any sort of charges or crimes, and then assault them when contested? If no, then I recommend you remove her from office before I do it for you. She is unfit for duty."

"Stop. Martingold, explain what the heck you two did."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »

"He decided to pretend to be a corpse. I decided to offer to heal. Rather then bringing us to the town doctor like would be rational when you have a corpse and a healer, they decided to bring us to the guardhouse. The captain eventually got the doctor, after quite a bit of dillydallying. If he were an injured person, he would have died from bloodloss. A mark against the captain there. The captain then decided that it would be a good idea to arrest a random traveler who offers healing. Presumably because she has a phobia of healers for there is no other rational explanation to that Another mark. This idea of hers did not work out very well. It resulted in the captain being launched across the room by her own momentum when she decided it would be a good idea to tackle me when I refused and demanded a list of charges. She is currently back at the barracks with a severely broken leg which I do not intend to heal. All damages to her were purely the result of her stupidity and her actions. She will be removed from her position or I shall do such for you. I do not believe it advisable to have a less then sane captain in charge of the guard."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2015, 05:04:26 pm »

"He decided to pretend to be a corpse. I decided to offer to heal. Rather then bringing us to the town doctor like would be rational when you have a corpse and a healer, they decided to bring us to the guardhouse. The captain eventually got the doctor, after quite a bit of dillydallying. If he were an injured person, he would have died from bloodloss. A mark against the captain there. The captain then decided that it would be a good idea to arrest a random traveler who offers healing. Presumably because she has a phobia of healers for there is no other rational explanation to that Another mark. This idea of hers did not work out very well. It resulted in the captain being launched across the room by her own momentum when she decided it would be a good idea to tackle me when I refused and demanded a list of charges. She is currently back at the barracks with a severely broken leg which I do not intend to heal. All damages to her were purely the result of her stupidity and her actions. She will be removed from her position or I shall do such for you. I do not believe it advisable to have a less then sane captain in charge of the guard."
"First off, I asked Martingold. Second, YOU IDIOT! WHY DID YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT? THERE WAS NO REASON FOR YOU TO DO THAT, AND IT MAKES YOU LOOK INCREDIBLY SUSPICIOUS! I SHOULD SEND YOU HOME RIGHT- Wait a minute, I have an idea... Mayor, are there any salt mines nearby?"
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2015, 05:05:55 pm »

Do note that the above conversation is highly unlikely to happen, and thus any knowledge gained from it is entirely hypothetical.

On that note, turn incoming.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2015, 05:29:45 pm »

"First off, I asked Martingold. Second, YOU IDIOT! WHY DID YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT? THERE WAS NO REASON FOR YOU TO DO THAT, AND IT MAKES YOU LOOK INCREDIBLY SUSPICIOUS! I SHOULD SEND YOU HOME RIGHT- Wait a minute, I have an idea... Mayor, are there any salt mines nearby?"
"Why would I defend myself? Because it's logical and sensible. If you were being attacked by a clearly insane dwarf, would you not defend yourself?"

((I'm assuming it's flat out not happening.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2015, 06:27:10 pm »

In the streets of Crawlinghome...

Viri strides forth, a featherweight giant among dwarves with a forceful shield of growing potency, making her way toward the grand puffball in the center of the village, and looks about for anything that might be charitably described as a town hall, her eyes eventually settling on the largest pyramid in sight. Seems like a good one to try first. Walking up close, she gives the double doors of the place as solid a knock as she can, and they open up with surprising speed and a wave of incense-smelling air, revealing a smallish dwarf in a black robe who seems a bit surprised to see Viri.

"A human? Wandering about town?" she says in a very distant tone. "Most curious. What do you seek?"

In Crawlinghome's jail...

Rev, having successfully fooled the inhabitants of the jail, wastes no time in fishing for exposition.

"Tom, you greasy bastard, show some respect! The Captain's daughter came in, and she, and she-" he winces at the sounds of destruction coming from the barracks. "What are we going to do? The ones she doesn't kill, she's turning into horrible fleshy monstrosities! Even if we survive this, how are we going to cure them? Who could we go to for help against this sorceress' curse?"

"How on earth should I know?" June snaps, pressing her back against the door. "The temple? Maybe?"

"Heh! Temple's never helped anyone. I say the whole lot can go die for all I care. Law's never done right by me," Tom says, probably feeling rather safe behind the bars of his cell.

In the dining room of Mayor John the Eldest...

Whiskers continues his conversation with the mayor.

"Mm. Well, that sure cleared up a lot, and I thank you for your competence and empathy during my moment of frustration. One more thing, before I go: may you please tell me where the marketplace and mages' institutions are in this town?" he asks of the old dwarf.

"No mages here, I'm afraid," the mayor replies. "You could perhaps ask a goblin at one of the trading depots, if one happens to be in town at the time, but nobody local is likely to be of much help in magery and sorcery and what have you. Of course, provided they're not deliberately keeping a low profile, which they very well might be. As for the marketplace-"

There is a short, polite knock at the door. The mayor looks its way just as it opens, and in strides an elderly, busy-looking and purposeful dwarf, flanked by an odd-looking, heavily injured and bloodless dwarf Whiskers, being an astute peeker at everybody else's business, has no trouble recognizing as Martingold.

"Ah, John. I see you are talking to a cat. Or perhaps, I should say, fox?" he says, glancing at Whiskers. "Anyway, the guards called me over to look at a corpse, which turned out to be our friend over here. He's also a fox, and quite alive. He's been so kind to tell me what they came here for, so we're here to talk to you. He's also told me that there were five of them when they came here, so presumably there's three more of them somewhere in the city," the elderly dwarf rattles off quickly.

"Most enlightening, Dave," the mayor comments. "Between the two of us, we may have a complete story in our hands. I do hope the other three haven't run into trouble, though. Or, god forbid, caused any. At any rate, I trust these two know each other?" he looks at the two foxes.

"Martingold! How has your day been?" Whiskers remarks.

"Why, it was lovely, my dear Whiskers, thanks for asking. I'll fill you in later. Now if you don't mind me, I need to talk to the mayor," he says, turning to the dwarf in charge.
"Good evening, Mr. Mayor. I've seen that you've talked to my friend Whiskers. I'm assuming that he already talked to you about who we are and what we're looking for. Since I'm not interested in wasting time repeating things, I have my own requests. There is another fox with us, her name is Viri. For some strange reason, she's been put into a prison without having committed any crimes. By any chance can you give her a pardon?"

"I'd hope so if it gets you lot about your business quicker," the mayor replies, shrugging. "Though that's the hypothetical answer - truthfully, it depends on what hypothetical crimes she has committed. If they are indeed hypothetically serious, it might not hypothetically be such a simple matter. Some more information is probably required, my good fox. I haven't really received word from the militia just yet, so I'm afraid I'm very ill-informed on the issue, and thus some guesswork is all I can provide."

In a dwarven logging camp...

Faer, not satisfied with the blue goblin's display thus far, continues to narrate as he applies more fear to him.

"Interesting... a user of magic... hm," he says, not really thinking as he talks to himself, lost in thought as his eyes rest on the blue goblin, pressing a figurative white-hot spike of fear into his skull. The goblin, though, remains still, and Faer keeps pushing harder and harder - and yet the goblin, perhaps out of madness, perhaps out of stubbornness, refuses to yield, the spheres of flame growing larger, his body growing incredibly tense. The logging camp, previously bustling with activity, has gone entirely silent, even the other two goblins having gone completely still. It is at this moment that Faer, concentrating more intently than ever on the task, fails to keep his internal narration to himself once more.

He inadvertently says... something out loud, something so inconsequential that he can hardly remember it the next instant, the grim realization of his mistake mere moments later as the blue goblin turns to look his way drowning out any hope of recall. In one moment the now enormous spheres of flame go still, and in the next they are rushing toward Faer at blinding speed, the entire tension of the goblin placed into one astoundingly precise blast of fiery magic. Faer attempts to leap out of the way, but the blast radius of the incoming fireball handily engulfs him and a great deal of the undergrowth in one rush of air and flame that sends him flying, chunks of burning, twisting flesh ripping themselves free of his body in an effort to preserve the whole - flying off in an arc, he lands smoking in a ravine, impacting a helpless fern like a minor meteor, now half the fox he used to be, overwhelmed with pain as his shapeless, burnt form automatically shifts into that of an arctic fox, seeking comfort in the familiar as he mutters an accurate firsthand description of the blast several times, internalizing them carefully.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2015, 06:43:07 pm »

Well unfortunately, I sadly don't have any more information. We were separated quite early. The last time I saw her I was carried off to the doctor's office while she was carried off to her cell. I do not know of any hypothetical crimes that she was accused of.

Since I can't really do anything more to help, I think I will go and talk to whispers

Martingold then leaves the mayors office and tells Whiskers what happened. Mention the knife.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2015, 06:46:08 pm »

"The mayor."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2015, 06:51:31 pm »

"Blast. I'm going to need more biological material."

Sneak off, gathering any fleshy bits I can and re-absorbing them, if it won't make me more vulnerable. Strike one of the other two goblins with fear in an attempt to get him to attack the magic user. Do not engage in combat unless absolutely necessary.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2015, 07:01:03 pm »

Rev suppresses a snarl of impatience. Stupid dwarves... well, he didn't truly expect it to be that easy. They almost certainly knew more than Rev- if only because Rev had no leads at all- but getting them to volunteer that information would get more difficult the more specific Rev had to be.

"The temple, the temple... well ours won't be of any help if that witch is out ensorceling the whole town, which I don't doubt she is." Rev squeaks nervously. "If we can sneak out of town before she comes back to finish us off, which way should we head? Who would be the closest?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2015, 04:23:13 am »

"The mayor."

"He is unavailable. But I can take you to speak with his most valued adviser," the dwarf says with a neutral expression. "You may come in," she then adds, stepping aside to allow Viri passage.

Rev suppresses a snarl of impatience. Stupid dwarves... well, he didn't truly expect it to be that easy. They almost certainly knew more than Rev- if only because Rev had no leads at all- but getting them to volunteer that information would get more difficult the more specific Rev had to be.

"The temple, the temple... well ours won't be of any help if that witch is out ensorceling the whole town, which I don't doubt she is." Rev squeaks nervously. "If we can sneak out of town before she comes back to finish us off, which way should we head? Who would be the closest?"

"We could... try and make a break for one of the logging camps?" June offers after a moment's thought.

"Nah, nah! You should head east, right into the Lands Untamed," Tom offers. "Start a new civilization there, just the two of you. Repopulate the dwarven race, if you catch my meaning."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2015, 04:27:34 am »

"I do not trust a flunky or advisor to deal with this issue. Where is his location."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2015, 04:42:17 am »

"I do not trust a flunky or advisor to deal with this issue. Where is his location."

"What is the issue? I believe you will find my master to be no mere flunky, just as you will find the mayor to be no king," the dwarf says.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2015, 04:44:42 am »

"You do realize this is an out of the way, isolated settlement correct? The mayor is clearly not a king, and unless you people are running a cult. He wouldn't be referred to as 'Master.' You seem like either a magi or a priest."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14