Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: How far could you take technology if reduced to a primitive situation?  (Read 7653 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

This is something I think about quite a lot.
I think the question gets better if you don't know exactly when in history you'll be sent, so you can't even prepare. But I'm cool with sticking to pre-stone age.

If we assume that we actually meet a group who overcome their xenophobia and probably racism to let us actually teach them stuff, I reckon the average Bay Watcher could do pretty well. Demonstrating the applications of tool use and fire use are going to be the most immediate thing to get down, while developing language would be a longer term thing to be worked on. On its own cooking food and boiling water could massively help with life expectancy.
Next up you probably want to introduce the idea that seeds are good for something other than eating, since agriculture reduces the need to be constantly moving, and having a stable location makes technological progress much easier. And with farming of grasses or rice or whatever you're stuck with, you can make flour, and from there you could get bread (definitely), alcohol (after a while of trial-and-error), and then when you can get something with such a high density of sugars, that makes growing penicillium on a controlled scale something that can really be considered.

So some really conceptually simple things could lead to (relatively) massive QoL improvements. The metalworking stuff sounds nice too, but it's not the kind of thing I think of as being first priority. Also I imagine it's easier to justify your weird behaviour to a group of people who think you're a fucking nutter if it ends up being able to feed people far better and save people from what would previously have been a debilitating or fatal illness.

EDIT: Actually the farming bit isn't really necessary for the stuff in the second paragraph. You could do with wild plants. And it's not like your attempts at selective breeding are going to get very far within your lifetime anyway.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:28:40 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I could teach them writing (basic charcoal on stone) and Malthusian economic theory applications to early agriculture populations. That might sound strange but the invention of agriculture while good for development greatly lowered the long term standard of living. Avoiding those mistakes would allow for human society to grow much more benevolently than any machine I could invent. Plus yknow a few lessons on hygene and farming.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Also note that you probably have no immume defenses system build up against local diseases, and you are not accustomed to the local food and bacteria in them. Baaaad case of the runs seems likely, at least in the beginning. Better make sure you don't dehydrate!

Perhaps a better question would be "if you were dropped into the jungle somewhere, would you survive?" And to be honest, while the average bay12er indeed has some unusual knowledge, I also suspect most of us in here aren't the epitome of physical fitness, nor trained survivalists. So you really better hope those local natives are friendly, cause if not, I suspect most of us would barely scrape by at best, or just outright die at worst.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Well yeah, a decade or so is a "in a perfect scenario" type of thing, and doesn't include many other factors. Realistically I would certainly expect to be able to hit a fairly stable agrarian society, complete with domesticated animals and a budding plant husbandry project, and with highly advanced ideas of science, medicine, sanitation, and a whole host of other modern ideas before I died. Such a society should also have large amounts of recorded knowledge, meaning that should they find an adequate source of metal they could then leap to a strange "bronze-industrial" (steampunk? :P) age, with ideas and machines from the industrial era cast into bronze instead of steel.

Perhaps a better question would be "if you were dropped into the jungle somewhere, would you survive?"
I'm pretty sure the original question's point was more about technological/societal advances rather than just basic survival skills, which is why I've been handwaving a bunch of things like language barriers, people believe what you are saying instead of thinking you are a madman, and your personal disease resistance (and theirs to whatever future diseases you bring back with you). Because honestly without the handwaves the answer for pretty much anyone, even modern-day wilderness survival masters, will be "get sick, be shunned by the natives due to starting horrible plagues with anyone you meet, and die a horrible death alone".

A related point though, which is that if you were actually dropped on earth (as opposed to some other pseudo-similar random planet) you wouldn't necessarily need to find metal or oil. You could already know exactly where the metal deposits were located and would just need to get there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

So start a population explosion and political life without sustainable living standardz. Congrats you have made humanity even more warlike then original timeline
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So start a population explosion and political life without sustainable living standardz. Congrats you have made humanity even more warlike then original timeline
Nah, because if everyone is believing everything you say you could impress into them the idea that more diversity is a good thing, leading to greater acceptance of differences (there have been at least a few cultures in actual history already that viewed "mixed blood" as being a good thing). Also the fact that you just shortcut religion before it ever got started means that you just cut out a huge amount of war and strife right there on account of "those people being different" without it ever needing to be dealt with later.

As for sustainability, a lot of it just depends on how fast you can get working plant farms up. In the beginning you will probably be forced to keep splitting out into new settlements to prevent destruction of the area you are on, but honestly you'd probably want to do that anyways since having a bunch of smaller, intertrading settlements spread over a larger geographic area will be much more resistant to being wiped out and destroyed as a whole than a single large one would (don't put all your eggs in one basket and all that jazz). As your plant husbandry worked at getting better plants set up you could then work on shifting from a mainly meat-based diet to a more plant-based one, which would allow for bigger settlements to survive in an area without destroying it. Additionally the ideas of sanitation and basic plumbing, along with the knowledge of the fact that you are going to cause a population explosion means you could set out your sanitation with the ideas of easy expansion to accommodate for more people in mind, meaning that you could hold your living standard despite the population growth.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

There is this little problem called exponential growth.  You ethics don't solve that.  In fact your solution just makes the scale of the eventual conflict worse.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you're misunderstanding; my goal is to cause exponential growth. At this point we are literally the only human civilization on the entire planet, we have plenty of space to spare, and the more we spread the more resources and manpower we have access too, as well as the less likelyhood of being completely wiped out by a plague or other horrible disaster. In this case exponential growth is a good thing, because we could spread for generations and generations without ever running out of space or resources to use, and the more people we have out there working on things the faster they are going to get done. And sure, eventually we'll get fractures and strife, but I think a society that has had the ideas of "acceptance" and "mixing with those who are different is a good thing" driven into them from the beginning is going to be a lot less likely to burst into war than our current "us or them", xenophobic-esque one is.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:05:38 pm by i2amroy »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How large is your starting pool? Cause if you have no locals to intermingle with, inbreeding ho! Unless there's enough of you at the start to avoid that, in which case, starvation ho!  :P

((Note, estimates vary on the number of peeps needed to have a stable genetic pool, but I've heard numbers from around 70-100 to much more, depending on a lot of variables (eg environmental pressure.))

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The idea that different is good/attractive was simultaneously intended to promote interbreeding and mingling with any other local groups we might find. But honestly without access to additional locals to bulk out the genetic numbers there isn't really anything you can do about interbreeding other than passing the knowledge of tracking genealogies and purposely working to avoid it as much as absolutely possible, so a small amount of it happening might just be a risk you have to take until you can find more locals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I honestly kinda think you're underestimating the amount of time and effort it would take.

So, let's indeed drop you in there with manpower. How are you gonna feed all these people? Hunter-gathering for such a large group? There goes a lot of manpower. Wanna farm? You have no tools yet, no crops that took ages of selection in terms of size and such. You'll have to domesticate the animals anew. Sure, modern knowledge will speed things up. But even with modern knowledge, you won't be turning that tree with the hard chewy things into delicious large fruits anytime soon.
In 1936 the Lykov family fled to Siberia, one of the most inhospitable places on Earth. In 1961 a particularly harsh frost killed off all of their crop, leading to a terrible famine where the mother starved to death just to ensure her children were fed enough to survive. They had but a single grain of rye left, and from this single grain they rebuilt their entire crop.

Now, most people cannot do what a bunch of slavs with a purpose did; but survival necessitates it so, so you give it your all. Pitfall traps, endurance hunting and fishing would go hand in hand with farming. No matter where you go, as long as you're not in some barren desert or frozen wasteland there is some sort of tuber or legume that you can farm. With modern knowledge on how to enrich soil, which crops and weeds enrich soil and what boosts crop yields, only the most insular of persons would fail at farming, and in time would go from being poor at farming to great at it.
Also... People did not create delicious juicy fruits out of horrid inedible chewy things. They chose delicious juicy fruits and bred them to be bigger, juicier and more delicious fruits. If we are also handicapped by being placed on an utterly alien world where even the biology of everything is different... That is an additional constraint that I do not recall being in the OP.

Starting from scratch, without starting technology, a whole lot of your effort goes to basic survival. No use planting crops, if they take a few weeks to grow, you gotta eat for those weeks. So, if you start with a lot of people, a lot will probably starve, and if you wanna prevent that, you won't be advancing in tech a lot until you have a lot of infrastructure set up. And untill you have a few farms that can feed a lot more people than they need to be worked, a lot of manpower is lost.
Why on earth would you not plant crops just because they take seasons to grow? That's the point of crops! You get the food in the harvest!

Of course, it wouldn't take as long as it took originally for humanity, but it certainly will take more than a few years. And everytime something goes wrong? A single harvest goes wrong along the way? Dang, now the one guy who new the most about medicine starved, since you can't ship in some food from somewhere the harvest didn't fail. There goes all his knowledge and skills.
as long as everyone wrote everything down eventually expertise would continue to be built upon until we got back to working order - it's easier to relearn than discover.
It is also notable just how many ways mankind learned how to write, from writing on leaves, to papyrus, to painting to carving. And even failures - short of a cataclysmic failure, or a deliberate sabotage, would not be able to wipe out a resourceful community not solely reliant on any one thing. Disease, freshwater drought, a gorillion locusts, sudden wolf attack - there's not much you can do after the fact unless you've already advanced to the point where these things are not an issue. One can safely rule out these problems that would very likely result in everyone dying, otherwise we'd be kicking ourselves down for not being able to deal with the eruption of Pompeii II: The sequel, with stone age tools.

It would be amusing however, to see a community to form around this restructuring of civilization. For if history has taught us anything, it is that first you have the civilization of builders and farmers, who are then taken over by warrior nomads. The warrior nomads conquer more builders and farmers and eventually settle down, becoming builders and farmers themselves, until more warrior nomads arrive and expand the Empire of builders and farmers further ad infinitum, with technology advancing all the way. Providing no Genghis Khan of the motorcycle nomads sacks Bagdhad12, an optimist would place the time taken to recover to an industrial world at anywhere between 100-300 years, maybe much less.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note that I was responding to the plan of roy to drop in with a bunch of people, not the OP scenario. How many people were in that scenario you just described?

Also, have you ever eaten wild apples? That shit isn't very good yo, to someone accustomed to our modern version, but it does provide some nutrition, so in a survival situation, that's something. But not nearly as sustaining as the bred version. Either way, I used that as an example, to show your initial farming won't be supporting the large amount of people the modern version would.

Getting food in the harvest won't save you if you die by that time, was the point. Or, if enough of your people die that a large part of their knowledge and skills are lost.

And writing everything down, from scratch? Never mind that practical skills aren't that easy to hand down in writing, you will be much too focussed on basic survival for a long while before you can afford luxuries like making paper and ink and writing a lot of shit down. Have you ever seen a decent physics textbook? How long would 1 person take to write all that down on shitty paper with shitty ink?

I think the biggest chance you'd have was if you were dropped into a civilisation that was already more established, but still relatively 'primitive' (say, ancient Mesopotamia) and see how far you get. If you don't have to busy yourself with reenacting Best of Bear Grylls, then you could see how fast modern knowhow could advance a civilisation, which was probably more the idea here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

I think the biggest chance you'd have was if you were dropped into a civilisation that was already more established, but still relatively 'primitive' (say, ancient Mesopotamia) and see how far you get. If you don't have to busy yourself with reenacting Best of Bear Grylls, then you could see how fast modern knowhow could advance a civilisation, which was probably more the idea here.

So like a more extreme version of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court or Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Note that I was responding to the plan of roy to drop in with a bunch of people, not the OP scenario. How many people were in that scenario you just described?

Also, have you ever eaten wild apples? That shit isn't very good yo, to someone accustomed to our modern version, but it does provide some nutrition, so in a survival situation, that's something. But not nearly as sustaining as the bred version. Either way, I used that as an example, to show your initial farming won't be supporting the large amount of people the modern version would.
Ya, and wild jackfruit, rambutan, sugar cane, apples, plums, bananas, lychees; only ones I found to be resolutely horrendous were durian and they taste horrendous in their farmed varieties too.

Getting food in the harvest won't save you if you die by that time, was the point. Or, if enough of your people die that a large part of their knowledge and skills are lost.
And writing everything down, from scratch? Never mind that practical skills aren't that easy to hand down in writing, you will be much too focussed on basic survival for a long while before you can afford luxuries like making paper and ink and writing a lot of shit down. Have you ever seen a decent physics textbook? How long would 1 person take to write all that down on shitty paper with shitty ink?
M9 physics would not be the first thing written down, all you'd need at first are basic scientific principles on evidence, simple laws like what elements are, what gravity is, how energy is stored, what the fuck magnets are, acceleration and what not. We aren't talking practical skills, those build up in practice. We're talking knowledge. And knowledge builds upon knowledge. Write it down and you avoid your knowledge being lost in the event of an elder dying.

Ehhhh.... Not as fun.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile

I propose a different challenge.

We, Bay12Forums, all go to sleep, and wake on the dirt, in other planet (due to cheating by already knowing where natural resources are). Bay12 must survive. All our collected knowledge must be put to work together, and we must create a society, advancing the most possible in the technology tree.

Not as individuals, but together, how far can we go?
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7