Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Youtube Gaming - coming soon to USA and UK  (Read 2731 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Youtube Gaming - coming soon to USA and UK
« on: June 13, 2015, 04:43:33 pm »

While this isn't a game I felt since it's related to games I should put this here.

Youtube Gaming website
RPS article

Considering how overwhelming the presence and popularity gaming content on YouTube is, I knew it was only a matter of time before they came out with something like this. It's too bad they couldn't come up with a catchier name than 'youtube gaming'. I mean, Hitbox.tv has a nice, game-related name (and Twitch too, actually). Know absolutely nothing about it other than the announcement (haven't even read the article) and as someone who pretty much exclusively uses youtube to watch gaming-related stuff I'm fairly happy to have its own separate site. I like to watch Let's Plays a lot so having its own section would be nice, and those who specifically don't like Let's Plays should be able to completely hide all of them from search results and related videos quite easily (in theory).

So, thoughts? Opinions? Something horrible I'm missing under the surface because I take everything at face value?
Oh, I really hope the thing about it only coming to USA and UK is only a temporary thing, that kinda sucks. There's probably some kind of legal matter Google has to deal with is my guess, or they just don't care enough about other countries.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:51:43 pm by OzyTheSage »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube Gaming
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:48:58 pm »

Let's be honest. Are you going to forget the name "Youtube Gaming?" I doubt I will.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube Gaming
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »

Are you going to forget the name "Youtube Gaming?" I doubt I will.
I probably will. "Look it up, it's on youtube.... Oh, I mean that Youtube Gaming site."

Oh, I really hope the thing about it only coming to USA and UK is only a temporary thing, that kinda sucks. There's probably some kind of legal matter Google has to deal with is my guess, or they just don't care enough about other countries.
Yeah, this seems a bit "if you're not in our major demographic, we don't care." and I really hope it's not.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube Gaming - coming soon to USA and UK
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 06:01:33 pm »

AFAIK, Twitch also deletes your saved videos after a few weeks so it's more focused on streaming. With Youtube your videos stay there. I don't really know much about Youtube's streaming service...
given Youtube's track record of claiming/monetizing/blocking gaming content, do we really feel comfortable using their service?
I think it's Nintendo and various music groups that are more known to do that sort of thing, not that Youtube's automated copyright detector thingy isn't to blame at all.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:03:33 pm by OzyTheSage »

ConsUme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 07:41:50 pm »

Not to be cynical but...

There Policies may be their undoing...

I feel Google will try to have more control over the streamers, than twitch does....

1. From what I heard your stream from YouTube right now cannot contain Copyrighted music even during the stream, They will still run the Content ID during the stream... and if it is a match you have to remove it and lose ad revenue (even after removing it)... OR after 15 min Google ends the stream.
Goddamit SourceForge

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 08:00:44 pm »

I thought Twitch was going to (or has) implement copyright ID? So that wouldn't be a differentiating factor.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ConsUme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 08:03:31 pm »

I thought Twitch was going to (or has) implement copyright ID? So that wouldn't be a differentiating factor.

It does but Copyright ID Happens AFTER The stream has ended

Youtube does it during.
Goddamit SourceForge

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 08:37:37 pm »

I feel safe in assuming that Youtube Gaming will at least have far superior vod services than Twitch, where watching anything but live-streaming is labor. There is also hundred hours worth of Twitch videos forever lost because the website is not interested in their preservation...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 10:23:33 pm »

Honestly, I hope they don't port every gaming video to this. I don't wanna use a dedicated site bookmark for my gaming stuff and normal stuff/

Regardless, gonna sit on this fence until it comes out.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 11:48:41 pm »

..... But why though? Why do corporations have this demented obsession with splitting functionality across multiple applications and services? Google did it with Docs/Drive on Android (want to edit documents? Waste storage space with a whole other app!), Facebook did it with Messenger (adding a huge resource hog with no extra functionality to show for it) and I'm pretty sure they're headed that way with Gmail (just a feeling). It's less convenient for me to have separate sites for let's plays and regular Youtube videos. What could this possibly offer that the current model doesn't?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 12:24:44 am »

One would assume so they can levy special terms against it that they wouldn't want to foist on the entire Youtube ecosystem.

To the same token, perhaps splitting off streaming to its own website is necessary for some technological/bandwidth reason. Maybe they believe Youtube cannot handle its normal traffic in addition to Twitch levels of streaming content.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 02:41:54 am »

So this is basically Twitch: Youtube Edition, then?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 04:30:48 am »

Most Twitch streamers already upload their stuff to Youtube anyway, so I doubt this will end up amounting to much. By saying that, it should become a worldwide sensation.
Dammit, there's a relevant xkcd for that but I can't find it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 11:49:49 am »

..... But why though? Why do corporations have this demented obsession with splitting functionality across multiple applications and services?

As a software developer, I feel confident saying: Large complex applications are the devil. They are difficult to maintain, bugs are much more likely to go unnoticed during QA, and the UI design can be difficult and confusing because of the multiple features that need to exist in one place.

Smaller, more focused applications are easier to build and iterate on. New features can be added quicker, bugs identified and fixed and tested quicker. As such, they are easier for the people working on to understand and maintain one or two key people leaving won't cripple future development.

You can have a bunch of small teams working on an app each, as opposed to needing one large team to work on one 'god app'. The 'god app' approach comes with way more communication and complexity overhead, causing endless problems for everyone involved, and slows down future development significantly as a result.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:53:49 am by MorleyDev »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 09:34:11 pm »

So I guess it's out now. First question: who designs a website that allows you to scroll down but does not include a scroll bar? Yes I have a scroll wheel and a thumb scroll wheel for page up/down, but sometimes I don't want to have to use them, especially when doing a lot of scrolling. Also why does it autoplay a stream right on the front page? I was under the impression this would be for videos more than for streaming, but obviously I was wrong. I shouldn't be as surprised as I am given how popular live streams are these days.

According to RPS it's using Youtube's content ID match thing (as expected) but unlike Twitch it will warn the streamer of a content match mid-stream and then block the stream if the warning is ignored, rather than muting the offending portion of audio.

So... it's basically just a skin that will show you livestreams and videos based on what games you have 'favorited' but all the content will still be on Youtube... sssssoooo...?
Pages: [1] 2