Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Evolution Simulator  (Read 9973 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Evolution Simulator
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2015, 12:00:41 pm »

How do I get the new build? Or is it automatic?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

grubbymonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2015, 12:36:18 pm »

You can just download it again, it has a new icon too. 

I've never run the Mac version so I don't know what it looks like but I did not change a tugging so it's probably just the computer you are using.

grubbymonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 01:59:25 pm »

A new alpha version is available here: http://www.grubbymonster.com/e3/build/

The longer you run the simulation the better.  Since the results get shared between instances the creatures you evolve will really help me to fine tune the environment variables.  Thanks!!!

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 01:06:30 pm »

PTW

When I start it and click "primordial soup" I get a whole bunch of text which goes offscreen (so I can't close it, I assume there's a close button somewhere). It obstructs the view so I can't really see anything.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:14:06 pm by kytuzian »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 05:46:02 am »

I am trying to run this on Linux/wine. I installed mono and corefonts.
The game starts up fine and I can see the menu and te world, but there are no creatures and the menus only display bars, no text at all in them. Also I don't know how to leave the game (safe from switching to the terminal I am running it from and terminating the process).

Any idea how to rectify that or could you compile a version for Linux?
Taste my Paci-Fist

grubbymonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 08:16:18 am »

I added the text box quickly to the alpha version and had not considered smaller screens or lower resolutions, I will fix that asap. 

I did not consider that anyone would try to run this in linux, reading/writing files must have different permissions between the OS's.  I will compile a Linux version and post it shortly.

BTW, shortly and asap may be a few days since I am away from my dev box at the moment.

Thanks for the input!!

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 01:40:21 pm »

I added the text box quickly to the alpha version and had not considered smaller screens or lower resolutions, I will fix that asap. 

I did not consider that anyone would try to run this in linux, reading/writing files must have different permissions between the OS's.  I will compile a Linux version and post it shortly.

BTW, shortly and asap may be a few days since I am away from my dev box at the moment.

Thanks for the input!!

Ah well I running it on an 11" MacBook Air, so it's pretty darn tiny. I'll probably run it on my other computer to see what it's like.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:38:49 pm by kytuzian »

grubbymonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 12:26:22 pm »

I am trying to run this on Linux/wine. I installed mono and corefonts....
Any idea how to rectify that or could you compile a version for Linux?

I have compiled and uploaded a Linux version but do not have a Linux box to test on.  It is up here http://www.grubbymonster.com/e3/build/ with the other builds, let me know if it works for you.

Have not had time to re-size the alpha splash screen yet, should have that bit done this w/e.

Thanks!

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 01:13:02 pm »

Yay, it works! Although there are some plants (I guess which are only decoration, as they are on top of the stones) where alpha doesn't work right. Their backgrounds are pink. Scratch that, there are just pink quadrangles scattered about the stones.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:16:00 pm by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

grubbymonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 01:36:12 pm »

Most people act surprised when things don't work, I am more surprised when they do!

I built in on a new pc, I must have compiled before all the assets downloaded.  They are just decoration but I will compile a better version soon.

Thanks again for trying it out and confirming it functions in Linux!

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 01:39:16 pm »

Most people act surprised when things don't work, I am more surprised when they do!
Heh.

Well, everything else seems to work fine. If you find creatures by me you know that upload of creatures on Linux also works.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 06:34:45 pm »

Gonzo's creatures seem to dominate. If I just let it run for a few hours, every time I come back almost any creature's creator is Gonzo. I guess this is not due to some kind of bug, but I noticed that I felt a bit bummed that my own creatures didn't even have a chance to get to the level where they could compete with the others. Turning down the chance of creatures being imported from the world didn't seem to help much.
Taste my Paci-Fist

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2015, 01:21:06 am »

Gonzo's creatures seem to dominate. If I just let it run for a few hours, every time I come back almost any creature's creator is Gonzo. I guess this is not due to some kind of bug, but I noticed that I felt a bit bummed that my own creatures didn't even have a chance to get to the level where they could compete with the others. Turning down the chance of creatures being imported from the world didn't seem to help much.

Have any of my little freaks shown up? It's been a while since I ran the simulator, but some of them got moderately advanced IIRC.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2015, 08:28:03 am »

There's something weird going on: I set the creature sources "world" and "local" to 0 and started a new pond. Still, immediately my world is flooded with creatures by Gonzo. ???

Have any of my little freaks shown up? It's been a while since I ran the simulator, but some of them got moderately advanced IIRC.
I've seen nothing by a "DoctorMcTaalik" or "Taalik". Only stuff by me, Gonzo and Grubby Monster.
Taste my Paci-Fist

grubbymonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2015, 10:51:08 am »

The gonzo creatures are ugly but successful, you can kill them off and lock down your control panel to local only.  You can also lock creatures you like, it wont make them better but will give them a chance to reproduce things that may be better suited.  It may be a while to evolve some better creatures that can compete in the primordial soup level. 

Honestly this level is just intended to evolve all creatures, there is another level called Tidepool that has creature levels where the goal is to take over the world with your creatures.  Personally I like all the creatures equally but I made the Tidepool level because I assumed people would get attached to their own.

NOTE: I have recompiled all builds to make the splash screen work on any resolution :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5