Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Shards of Keb - Planning and OOC  (Read 1947 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Shards of Keb - Planning and OOC
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:14:03 am »

Shards of Keb

The multiverse is a big place, filled with countless worlds and a great many gods and other forms of life. Most are content to rule over whatever piece they have, to exist within the confines of the rules that they were born with, leaving only when needed and in pain the whole time. Some are more active, and actively consume other worlds, but still, they simply crush the worlds instead of entering them. Only small and weak forms of life, shielded by magic or simply too weak to elicit a reaction are capable of permanently travelling between the worlds.

You are different. You began as a minor god of life and chaos by the name of Keb. Thought weak, your world was crushed by a much greater god and its energy absorbed. You were forced out your home and reduced to a shadow of your former self. You left for a world very different from your own. You were weak, nothing even compared to the natives of this new world. You should have died like all other gods before you, but instead you adapted. You reforged your very essence to survive, but you did not just survive, you flourished. You ate away at the world from the inside until there was nothing but Keb.

And then you moved onto the next world.
And the next.
And the next.

And now you have reached a most interesting place. A nexus of sorts, filled with "demons" who could be hired for a price. Thousand of portals link this world to others in the multiverse, kept open by summoners looking for someone to do their bidding. Taking this world is simply a matter of time, your power only limited by your understanding of this world, but the portals show you many more opportunities.

In particular, a cultist from a world by the name of Thiand has completed the neccessary ritual, and is summoning 5 demons. Small shards of yourself will be going instead, but they will not go to follow orders. They will go to learn what they can, and to consume.

Basic Details

Okay, so in this game you will be playing as 5 "shards" attempting to learn more about the world to unlock abilities, opening portals to become stronger, and generally wrecking the locals' shit to make a hostile takeover easier. You will be doing this by embarking on missions with tactical combat inspired by X-Com, and by creating your own characters, abilities and weapons with a point-buy system.

There are slots for 5 people, each controlling a shard. If anyone dies, they will be replaced by people from the waitlist. You may also give up your spot for a mission or two to give someone else a chance to play, and upon your return you will have a few extra points to play with. I also do not mind if someone spends their time on the waitlist coming up with abilities and weapons other could use.

Tactical combat resembles X-Com. Cover is in effect, you have 2 actions each turn, etc. You will either have an objective, or will simply be tasked with killing all the opponents.

The strategic portion of the game involves picking what mission you want to do next, and designing your shards.

Tactical Combat

Shut up, the graphics are a work in progress.

Combat is turn based. One side gets a turn, every character of theirs does an action, and then the other side gets a turn for their actions. You cannot act during an opponents turn except in special cases.

Tactical combat should be familiar to anyone who has played X-Com. As a shard you have 2 actions. You can either move, move+move, attack, or move+attack(in that order). Abilities may or may not use up an action, end a turn or grant extra attacks or actions.

There are two kinds of cover: full and half. Full cover grants a 60% chance that a ranged attack instead hits the cover, and half-cover has a 30% chance. Cover can be destroyed by this. Chance to hit cover is separate from accuracy.
Accuracy is the chance to hit. Without cover a hit is a hit, but cover has a chance to take the damage instead of the intended target. A miss has a 50% of hitting a random adjacent tile instead. Yes, this does mean that at lower than 11.1% accuracy you are more likely to hit everything other than what you are targetting.

You can move through half-cover. Windows never have sharp bits of glass in this universe.

When attacking with ranged weapons, you may act as if you are instead standing in any adjacent tile instead. This is so you don't get blocked by your own cover.

Most stats are self explanatory, armour reduces the damage of attacks, speed determines how many tiles you can move, health is how much damage you can take, etc.

Strategic Command

Strategic stuff is more freeform than tactical combat. You will mostly just be choosing what mission to embark on next, and choosing your form for the next mission. I may or may not draw maps, depending on my mood at the time. There may or may not be bases at some point. There may or may not be giant dragons. You may or may not want to stop reading and proceed to the next section, before the month of may arrives.

Morph Essence

And so we come to the most rule-filled portion of the game. Creating your shard works on a point-buy system, where you can freely choose your weapons, stats or abilities. If you want an ability or modifier or anything that isn't listed, then ask and I will provide the point cost of that particular thing.

At the start you have exactly 10 points to spend on your shard. You may freely assign them.

Base
Base Stats:

Health: 1
Speed: 2
Armour: 0

Base Abilities:
Overwatch[Activated, Ends Turn] - You take a shot at the first enemy to move in range. Both cover and accuracy apply, although accuracy is reduced by 20%.
Morph Essence[Activated, Requires 2 actions, Ends Turn] - Reassign up to 15% (rounded up) of your points. Selling max health also reduces current health.

Base Attacks:
Kick[Melee][Range 1][Acc 100%][1 damage]

For practical and calculation purposes you may act as if you have 3 points spent, 1 on health, 1 on speed+armour, and 1 on a melee attack. So you have 13 points in total to play with.

Stat costs:
Health + (Armour+1)*(Speed/2)

Speed/2 is rounded up and is always a minimum of 1, you cannot create an immovable and indestructible shard.
Remember that there are attacks that can bypass armour, and always have someone who can keep enemies from just kiting you.

Ability costs:
Mindmeld[2 points] [Activated, Ends Turn][Range 4] - Increase accuracy of all attacks of target by 25%
Worldseer[2 points] [Activated, Ends Turn] - Reveal stats, abilities and weapons of chosen enemy
Consume Local[1 points] [Activated, Ends Turn][Range 2][Requires corpse] - Consumes corpse of a local creature, converting it into +1 health for the duration of the mission
Sacrifice[3 points] [Passive] - +1 points for all other team members, cannot benefit from other sacrifices, death results in immediate loss of points from teammates and a corresponding loss in stats, abilities or weapons
Custom[? points] - Think of something cool

Weapon costs:
Base cost: (Damage+ArmourPierce/2)*Accuracy*RangeCost/(Cooldown or UseLimit)

RangeCost is 1/5/10 range, for a 1/1.5/2 cost multiplier respectively. Exceptions may be made in some cases.
Cooldown is 1/2/3 turn(s) for 1.5/2/2.5 cost reduction multiplier respectively.
UseLimit is 3/2/1 uses per mission for 2/3/6 cost reduction multiplier respectively. An uselimit of 1 allows the use of allcaps in weapon names.
Any special requirements such as consuming health, corpses or other resources will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Extras:
Ignore Armour [x2 point cost]
Poison[2 points, can apply multiple times] [Duration 3][1 dam/turn, ignores armour][Application requires armour breach][Stacks]
Blind [x2 point cost] [Duration 1][Reduces target Acc by 25%][Stacks]
Momentum[+2 points to damage cost, can apply multiple times][Melee only] [Adds distance travelled this turn to damage][Distance travelled counts only after last sharp turn(pretend you are a train)]
Custom[? points] - Think of something cool

A very simple finished design might look something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Joining

Player List[0/5]:
-
-
-
-
-

Waitlist[6/∞]:
-Pencil_Art
-Kevak
-Hawk132
-Kashyyk
-The Froggy Ninja
-Rolepgeek
-
-
-

If you want to join, simply post JOINING and pray that I don't somehow miss it.

I'm not ready to start the game proper just yet, and it is also a squad based game, so players will get in on a first serve basis, but only if they have formed a cohesive group of 5 people. Make sure you cover all the possible roles, so you don't all end up as melee guys and having to spend all your turns hiding in cover because the enemy is out of range. If a group is not formed, then I will try to put a group together from all the posts.

Once I have my side sorted out, and the players for the first mission have been chosen, I will create the main thread and the battle will commence.

So, who is interested?
I am also looking for anyone willing to do tiles for this. A bit of help would make managing this thing far easier.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:52:04 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shards of Keb - Planning and OOC
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 03:17:53 am »

JOINING

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:19:44 am »

I remember this!

JOINING
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:35:28 am by Kevak »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:38:23 am »

I remember this!

Joining.

You did it wrong!

And it's cool you remember the last thing. I don't remember what made me stop that one, I think I messed up by having so many units constantly pouring through the gate? I'm hoping 5 more unique ones will be easier to manage, and I made something to help me with the maps, so I don't have to draw them manually and mess around with dragging around the icons and such.

EDIT: Goddamnit, you ninjafixed it while I was posting.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:39:29 am »

Notice the edit~

Which happened slightly before you responded~

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 05:57:19 am »

I remember this thing!

JOINING
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 06:37:31 am »

I'll join the Line of people who remember this. Twas fun!

I'd like to JOIN too!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:43:46 am by Kashyyk »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 06:40:03 am »

You forgot boldgreen~

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 06:44:45 am »

Nope! Not at all...  ;)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 06:45:45 am »

Riiiight~ ((You forgot an ing~))

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 07:37:11 am »

Anyway, my submission:

It includes an Ability "Low Profile". This ability passively makes Half Cover count as Full cover when attacking this unit, I've guessed at 2 points.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 08:46:42 am »

JOINING

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 08:55:48 am »

JOINING?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 09:28:23 am »

It includes an Ability "Low Profile". This ability passively makes Half Cover count as Full cover when attacking this unit, I've guessed at 2 points.

At 2 points, I kinda feel like it will become a no-brainer at some point to pick it. But I'm inclined to let you keep it, since you are pretty much the definition of a glass cannon with your build.

Let's say it costs PointsInStats/5, rounded up. So you get it for 1 point because of your low stats. Not sure how balanced that is, but we'll see how it works out later.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 09:49:22 am »

Spoiler: choo choo (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:07:31 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek