Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round #16: Me and My Dragon  (Read 20470 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round #16: Me and My Dragon (Finally starting!)
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2015, 11:42:48 pm »

I did it, and I added another 12h on top of that so I don't miss extending this time.  Try to pretend the second 12h extension doesn't exist.

Edit: Or the second extension could just not happen, that's fine llamaserver :/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:22:40 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2015, 10:51:06 am »

Well, now that it doesn't matter any more - just a tip to everyone: Don't just think that you know that your god is immortal. Double check BEFORE you send him out alone to try to take a province.

Wasted hundreds of research points due to that.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2015, 09:59:11 pm »

USEC_OFFICER and whoever is playing Jomon (I didn't actually write that down), you've both staled for the past 3 turns.  I'm not mad, its just a game, but is there something that can be done to get your turns in?  I can extend the turn timer, I can nag you (within reason).  But there's only so many times I can check on the deadline before I mess up and miss an extension.  If you're not having fun subbing out is an option, although it would be nice if we could all make it to the end.

Well, now that it doesn't matter any more - just a tip to everyone: Don't just think that you know that your god is immortal. Double check BEFORE you send him out alone to try to take a province.

Wasted hundreds of research points due to that.
Ouch.  Was it the fire resistance icon?  It looks a lot like the immortality one.  That being said you should have just let him stay dead or revived him with indy priests; that pretender you had was not worth hundreds of research points.  I'm not sure ANY pretender is worth hundreds of research points in the early game.

Something similar almost happened to us.  I thought I could ease my friend into Dominions by giving him an awake god even though he's playing Mictlan, but it never occurred to me the rules would be different in disciples games.  He messed up a couple of times on expansion (he was the one who got an indy commander at the top of the hall of fame super early) but he did fine.  Any if I had realized he wouldn't have a god, I would not have taken 3 misfortune; he could have gotten a MUCH more brutal introduction into Dominions.

I have two pieces of advice for you.  I think you and Arco would have done better if your research had gone down different paths; you didn't get much variety off of each other.  The other one would be to consider more carefully your first war.  A lot my success against you was just your armies being dead.  I suspect you got tempted a bit claiming the throne of might, but... the effect of that was mitigated by the fact that neither of you had a sacred-centric strategy.  You were still fighting Agartha in an environment that gave them an advantage and made it hard to use your greater numbers to raid.  Honestly you could have attacked us, Mictlan's inexperience made him vulnerable early and there was a point where I had a temple and an almost complete fort you could have knocked over in one turn with Arco's god.  Alternately, you could have gone for Jomon. unless I'm mistaken R'yleh would have little ability to come to Jomon's aid in the first two years, so you could have overwhelmed Jomon with numbers and then dug in and endured the squid nuisance for the rest of the game.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2015, 12:07:44 am »

greater numbers to raid.

Hahahaahahahaahaha! Greater numbers... That's a good one there! Well. Combined yes, but I think I definitely fielded more troops than Midgard at least... (Agartha gets absurd production in cave systems... Although only LA can really leverage it I feel.)

(P.S. Haven't heard anything from USEC_OFFICER... Will PM him but internet issues mean I won't be able to get back to you for ~24 hours from now...)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2015, 12:26:28 am »

I just kind of assume that in a 2v1 the 2 will have greater numbers :P.  If that's not the case, that would hint at deeper problems... I did see a fight where Arco sent an army with 1 mage to attack your capital, but I didn't get to see what that was about because you patrolled out my scout on the same turn so I couldn't watch the fight >:(

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2015, 12:28:46 am »

Ouch.  Was it the fire resistance icon?  It looks a lot like the immortality one.  That being said you should have just let him stay dead or revived him with indy priests; that pretender you had was not worth hundreds of research points.  I'm not sure ANY pretender is worth hundreds of research points in the early game.
We did mostly raise him back with indy priests, but each turn that he was dead (took ~10 turns to bring him back, I think) I lost out on his 25 research a turn - if he hadn't died, I could've gotten mistform much earlier, and I think that might have made a decisive difference in our (perhaps poorly chosen) war on Argartha.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2015, 12:35:20 am »

Oh, I see.  Yeah, that... that's brutal.  I thought you meant you revived him with mage-priests, which would have been even more brutal.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2015, 12:41:08 am »

We did mostly raise him back with indy priests, but each turn that he was dead (took ~10 turns to bring him back, I think) I lost out on his 25 research a turn - if he hadn't died, I could've gotten mistform much earlier, and I think that might have made a decisive difference in our (perhaps poorly chosen) war on Argartha.

It could have, especially as I only fielded Shard Wights (Magic Curse Glaives (Auto-correct thinks that should be laxatives btw.)) near the end of that war. Or it might have not as I would've thrown earth meld around like crazy. (Obvious counter to a few high defense units I feel. Or maybe not with Agartha's legendary 'accuracy'.) We will never know now though.

Glory to United Forenia!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2015, 07:11:19 pm »

Regarding Jomon, I haven't heard from Karlito since the first of the month.  Last comment on this thread was on the 7th, and last account activity on the 11th.  At a guess, it could be the Internet issues mentioned at that time. 

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2015, 12:16:46 am »

...great.  If anyone knows how to contact Karlito, that would be convenient.  Otherwise, well, I guess we'll need to delay or sub until someone can contact them.  There are too few players to just be missing one of them.

Edit: Or he could just submit a turn.  That works too.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:58:55 am by EnigmaticHat »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2015, 02:25:38 am »

Once more I need to ask for an extension, I just don't have time to do it now while I have internet, 14 hours though, and I'll have it in for sure.

(P.S. Still no reply from USEC. Don't have time to check if he sent in a turn for Pan.)

Glory to United Forenia!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2015, 11:24:34 am »

Done.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2015, 11:28:08 am »

...great.  If anyone knows how to contact Karlito, that would be convenient.  Otherwise, well, I guess we'll need to delay or sub until someone can contact them.  There are too few players to just be missing one of them.

Oh yeah, been meaning to pop in this thread. I had real life get in the way of Dominions for a while, but I should be good going forward.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2015, 02:20:13 pm »

Oh yeah, been meaning to pop in this thread. I had real life get in the way of Dominions for a while, but I should be good going forward.
Its all good.  Now if we could just get USEC_OFFICER back everyone will be here.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2015, 11:04:51 pm »

Anyone know what's up with him? He's still been posting on the boards. I don't really want to resume an offensive against a stale player.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12