Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 833272 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6810 on: March 30, 2017, 06:14:07 am »

If having a fixed point of reference in your field of view is all that's needed then a simple way of achieving this is to force the player to always be wearing hearwear. Start with glasses which are removed when you get different head armour, gas mask, sci combat helmet etc.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: March 30, 2017, 07:54:30 am »

They already said they're experimenting with control schemes. IIRC they're going to allow both teleportation and the control stick movement.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: March 30, 2017, 02:30:55 pm »

Yeah the fixed point of reference/cage thing works pretty well, (much like racing games/etc.) and I imagine they'll do a that, teleportation and allow for a lot of tweaking inbetween (possibly both together, so you can teleport, but also walk shorter distances). I read a review that said on the early builds teleportation basically broke it, because you could just jump up, shotgun to the face and jump out, as well as skip dangerous bits.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just lock you in power armour or something, although I remember in one tweet/statement they said they'd got something completely innovative for it. It may well be something they can get a handle on purely through software, but I imagine there will always be an element of motion sickness.

I don't suffer from motion sickness badly, although it did take me an hour or two not to feel a bit queasy on quick turns/jumps. Jogging on the spot stuff is pretty much how I imagine it'll really start kicking off into making VR mega-billions though, I imagine it'd become life changing for many.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: March 30, 2017, 02:33:13 pm »

Sounds silly but the VR teleportation looks really bad to me. Which is why I hope we instead find ways around motion sickness that don't involve it.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: March 30, 2017, 02:37:29 pm »

Sounds silly but the VR teleportation looks really bad to me. Which is why I hope we instead find ways around motion sickness that don't involve it.

I rather agree. The teleport sort of breaks the immersion for me.

Hell, I might have to dust off my mod hat and MAKE the control scheme jog-in-place if it isn't already.

I'm curious how they're going to do melee combat, because if they suddenly decide to take a quantum leap forward (For Bethesda) and let me swing an officer's sword with my arm instead of my thumb... I'm going to need to play FO4 in my gym clothes.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: March 30, 2017, 02:41:29 pm »

Yeah to me too. I doubt they'll stick with that, as it got sort of panned by alpha version reviewers and they came back with statements saying they had something amazing in place. 

They never categorically denied it, but I can't really imagine them trying to flog just teleportation VR, because I think everyone knows it's a bit stupid, and I can't imagine trying to play a game like that for any length of time.

I could be surprised, but I'm hoping not. Draignean will be drowned in PMs if that's the case though.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6816 on: March 30, 2017, 02:41:59 pm »

I don't mind teleportation or 'push to move' any more. It bothered me at first but after a while I stopped feeling sick or disoriented when moving around. Everyone is different, so hopefully they will have a range of options and I'm sure there will be mods for this as well.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: March 31, 2017, 01:36:47 am »

Indeed, game got a lot more stable with the Unofficial Patch. However, I've tried everything..and something really broke my main questline. I can't get "When Freedom Calls" (the quest you get once you find Preston) to start, so I guess I'll have to start over.

If you're using PC, just use console commands to start the quest.

That's the first thing I tried, as to finish Skyrim and prevent saves from being lost I had to pretty much hack the Matrix from inside its console.  :P There was really no solution.
It was one of two things:
- I left the Vault with a LOT of mods active, and that doesn't seem to be a good idea. Unless a mod explicity states it requires to be active since you hit "New Game" (Horizon is the only one I found that requires this), it's simply safer to leave all of them off until you leave the Vault. [I had no issues with Horizon + Unofficial patch active].
- The "Everyone's Best Friend" mod lets you take Dogmeat with you always, along with a companion. Even on Skyrim this sort of mod always broke all sort of things (including other mods), so it's one of the most likely suspects, as it let me bring Codsworth AND Dogmeat to the first mission in Concord, and I don't think you should be able to do that (Codsworth will say he'll take care of Sanctuary until you come back or something like this, on the beginning).

In any case, I haven't had time to play a lot so I'm not far, but it has been damn great.
What's hilarious is that I never played as a sniper as my last GPU could barely handle mid-range combat draw distances. Now, being able to snipe people from VERY far away with a simple pipe rifle and a scope, it really made Horizons' hard start much easier.

I'm still playing on 100%/100% dmg difficulty, as it feels like Vanilla 150%/100% for some reason.

And I had two amazing experiences now that it's on Survival:
- First Deathclaw, Horizon lowers the amount of Minigun ammo you get there. I didn't realize, and I had a half-hp Deathclaw furiously moving in my direction. I panicked and somehow managed to fire 2 clips with the 10mm Pistol close enough to his head before he murdered me. I was shaking a bit at the end.
- I was strolling happily around a known, "secured" area. A random goddamn Super Mutant yells at me, running at my directly, and I'm still badly hurt from last fights - Horizon has too expensive heals and even more expensive instant-heals on the beginning (and you have to craft 98% of those)..I panicked but managed to headshot him repeatedly right before he was about to hit me. That hit would definitely instakill me, and I think I was still Level 2. I have absolutely no idea where that thing came from.

I'm loving it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:38:33 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: March 31, 2017, 04:28:57 am »

As I understand it, the dogmeat mod shouldn't break anything because dogmeat was originally written on a separate quest script from the other companions (who are all on the same script), as if they had planned to let you use him with another companion but changed their mind. I personally have had no trouble with that mod, and I don't think your issue with Codsworth following you into Concord is because of it either. He's not supposed to be available as a companion until you get back from Concord, iirc.
Love, scriver~

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: April 04, 2017, 02:11:07 am »

Yep, I'm not sure. I'm just hoping I don't ever have to start over again!

And did anyone play with the War of the Commonwealth mod? I put it on the lowest settings, as it would probably throw balance all over the place if used on the defaults with Horizon, but it's a really cool mod.
I think the idea of Horizon is to make loot really bad, so sometimes you kill raiders and you find "Broken Rifle" on them instead of a shiny sniper rifle. With WotC it can spawn insane stuff really early - first time I leave Sanctuary I bump into Child of Atom, Ferals and an Adventurer all shooting at one another. As I do the clean up, I get a Gamma Gun. On level ~4 (4-5h playtime) I killed a ton of gunners and got a Laser Gun and a Sniper Rifle..and killed Forged and got some really good armor very early on.
I'm not sure Horizon expects that, but it still feels fun, weird and random..and the spawns can be damn hard/insane. It gets tactical even if you bring decent guns.

What's annoying me a bit is the Exploration mods that add exteriors locations/interiors for you to find. I'll have to ignore the interiors for a while as they just love to give you loot, and sometimes it feels nonsensical. But it is funny to see something weird in a river and it is a "drowned" raider with his loot still on him, or killing a raider and checking his tent and finding out his partner is dead with a few drugs around him. Some of those tents/camps aren't vanilla, and they aren't flooded in loot so it feels like a nice touch.

And today I got mad as an infection made me waste 2 adhesive to make bandages. I could have duct-taped better damage with that!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: April 04, 2017, 04:49:14 am »

I had to quit my Horizon play through as I just wasn't enjoying it. I can see what the author was going for, and I like the changes in settlement building, but it's too punishing for small mistakes. For instance, if you don't take the hunter perk straight away then there will be no food. Survivalist has to be taken equally soon along with medic. So much loot has been removed that the meagre amount of purified water available early on will probably be needed to make radaway to offset the dirty water one needs to drink. Also, corn. Combat isn't too bad apart from ammo issues, I don't think I've ever got so much mileage out of a machete before though.

The 'Everyone's best friend' mod didn't seem to cause any issues when I met Preston with both Dogmeat and Codsworth.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: April 04, 2017, 05:06:37 am »

Yeah, the beginning is really unforgiving. When I was playing in the usual 150%/100% difficulty, it was just not fun. Every Boatfly will eat all of your available medical resources, so it's just annoying.
Once you get Lead Belly / Medic, you can get around a bit by buying food and stuff you need to survive off other people, specially travelling traders. Those boring traders from vanilla actually become useful.

Now it's pretty good, I've got a Purifier running but I don't see purified water on the inventory yet, so I have no idea if its working. I also put down a few plots for the Sim Settlements mod, and that's such a cool mod! I'm not sure how it works as I still only have the initial dudes from Preston - and my first settler died by simply looking at a Mole Rat, which I'm still wondering what happened there - but Sanctuary looks like an actual settlement/town (a shitty one, made by someone who can't bother with design)!
I'll do the good ol' spreading Recruitment Beacons and transferring folks to Sanctuary trick and see what happens.

Note that Sim Settlements override Horizon's craziness with locking settlement-building things, so you can build shops (not sure if those are functional), and industry - which for now I've only seen scrap yards, and those help with scavanging. For some reason, Horizon locks the Scavanging station until you get Local Leader, which takes a [long] while compared to vanilla.
So I guess I'm not playing Misery Mod, or it isn't as hard as Horizon guy want it to be. But it feels less artificially hard.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: April 04, 2017, 08:25:41 am »

Horizon sounds like it's right uo my alley. But I'm going to need to be careful considering the amount of mods I already have which do similar things.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: April 06, 2017, 07:30:10 pm »

The shops in Sim Settlements are functional, christ in my game Preston has a franchise of armor stores set up.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 462