Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 833262 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6795 on: March 23, 2017, 01:33:58 am »

Tossing in my two cents. I've tried out the Vive, it's a lot of fun for a while, even though most of the games on there are gimmicks. Gotta play with one for probably about 10-15 hours total over a few weeks, and there's definitely a lot of potential. Didn't get any motion sickness myself, nor did anyone else I was messing around on it with. We played about 15 different games, and some of those were collections of minigames. Most of the "full" games just felt like minigames, but we did try out GTA V and Minecraft on it. Would not recommend Minecraft VR, but GTA was fine enough to mess around with.

However, if you haven't tried it, don't hate on it. Yeah, the games are basically just tech demos right now. But it doesn't take long in the Vive to see the potential there, and if VR starts seeing some high quality AAA titles like Fallout, (whether or not Fallout 4 is a high quality Fallout game is another discussion) there's a chance that it can meet some of that potential. But even as is, it's fun as fuck to try out, and if you get the chance, do it. Moreover, even though the games are mostly gimmicks right now, the system itself is less gimmicky than it seems. Once you get in there with the headset on and your headphones in, and you're stumbling around a big room trying to figure out what you're doing, you'll have a blast, and you'll get surprisingly immersed in the experience. My one friend played around in that google painting thing for two hours straight, and when she stopped, she thought she had only been doing it for 20 minutes tops. So there's fun to be had even now.

Basically, don't knock it till you try it, there's potential there. But yeah, they're expensive as fuck and as it stands, not something I would spend money on myself. However, that doesn't mean that the system itself isn't fun.

EDIT: @umiman - I agree with you on the racing sims. Those are amazing. Also got to try out Elite for a bit, it was awesome. I feel like VR is perfect for space sims and racing sims.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:37:49 am by Glloyd »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: March 23, 2017, 02:53:55 am »

EDIT: @umiman - I agree with you on the racing sims. Those are amazing. Also got to try out Elite for a bit, it was awesome. I feel like VR is perfect for space sims and racing sims.
I think it'd be great for anything with a cockpit.

Kinda want to try Mechwarrior with it.

Holy shit my dick would explode.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: March 23, 2017, 03:11:31 am »

I'm trying to buy the Season Pass but I gracefully locked myself out of my Paypal account.

Do anyone play with the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch mod? Does it makes things better or worse? Even if you run a heavily modded game?
I'm thinking on trying it out as adding around 20 other mods made the game really unstable. I'm thinking it might be the ones that adds new buildings/locations. It got to the point of it breaking the main quest and making me roll back 1-2h of gameplay.

My own fault for not making backup saves along with the autosaves and I-think-this-shit-is-gonna crash saves. All saves I shouldn't be doing in the first place, as this was supposed to be a (fun) hard survival run.
Also, the location mods have way too much clutter even with lower-clutter options enabled, its insane and makes no sense. It also gave me a crazy upgraded 10mm (which I have exactly 1 bullet for) while I was still level two, completely unbalanced..so I guess the rollback was hardcore anti-cheating.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: March 23, 2017, 03:22:54 am »

Unofficial Fallout 4 patch, like every other unofficial patch for Bethesda games, is a mod that you should always have installed in every situation regardless of other mods.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: March 23, 2017, 07:14:32 am »

I just saw 2 new mods that I'm willing to add to my excessive mod list.
Sim settlements, and salvage beacons.
Mod list thus far is :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
About 10 of these I haven't got running, some of them are different mods that do similar things, the ones which werent quire right have been disabled.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: March 23, 2017, 07:17:06 am »

I played racing/flight sims, Elite and a few unofficial FPS ports and thought they were all absolutely fantastic (slight motion sickness with the last one, but the cost/benefit was strongly in favour of the VR). I then did a few Vive room scale puzzle games and would say they were pretty much the most immersive gaming experiences I've had - not amazing games, but you can get completely lost in it in a way you can't with monitor gaming.

Even my GearVR has impressed everyone who's used it - sure, it's got the screen door effect and low res, but sitting on stage during a concert or watching dinosaurs close up is awesome even at low res. Sure, I wouldn't want to play a three hour marathon session with it, but I've probably used it about 30-40 times for 20 minute sessions which I feel is pretty good even now.

I honestly was a sceptic to start off with - I remember lining up to play a VR thing at a fair for an hour about 15 years ago and it was woefully disappointing even for a younger, more easily impressed mind. Cynical me was bowled over immediately. Whether it'll become mainstream is another question altogether, but there's no denying it's awesome even as it is.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: March 23, 2017, 08:35:26 am »

Indeed, game got a lot more stable with the Unofficial Patch. However, I've tried everything..and something really broke my main questline. I can't get "When Freedom Calls" (the quest you get once you find Preston) to start, so I guess I'll have to start over.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: March 28, 2017, 10:03:49 pm »

Indeed, game got a lot more stable with the Unofficial Patch. However, I've tried everything..and something really broke my main questline. I can't get "When Freedom Calls" (the quest you get once you find Preston) to start, so I guess I'll have to start over.

If you're using PC, just use console commands to start the quest.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6803 on: March 29, 2017, 05:40:20 pm »

My 2c as well on the whole VR "thing". I thought it was just a silly gimmick as well until I got to properly demo a Vive. It's honestly amazing once it really clicks. With some practice I overcame the mild motion sickness I had at first and eventually ended up getting one myself. It's more than a gimmick. The simple act of being able to turn your head or peek around a corner, even in a seated experience, is fantastic and the sense of scale you get in games like Elite... the first time I saw a capital ship come out of FTL on a monitor I said "Yeah that's neat" and shrugged. In VR it honestly took my breath away, and I flew around the damn thing for half an hour in a fighter just looking at it.

Flying through an ice ring in my Asp and being able to look in any direction...

Needless to say I am looking forward to Fallout VR. One of my favorite games so far has been Racket: Nx which is just a sort of racket ball game where you're in the middle of a huge 360 degree racketball room and hit balls at targets for various objectives. Its surprisingly fun and they got the physics just so right

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: March 29, 2017, 05:57:53 pm »

the first time I saw a capital ship come out of FTL on a monitor I said "Yeah that's neat" and shrugged. In VR it honestly took my breath away, and I flew around the damn thing for half an hour in a fighter just looking at it.

I've been playing PC games a long time, and when there's a big jump in graphics (first proper 3D game, first game with proper physics etc.) you go 'woah, that's awesome' because it's such a step up from previously. However I've NEVER felt a step up like I did with VR, even the jump between 2D and 3D gaming.

That's what sold it to me, and everyone I know who's used it has had the same reaction. I kinda think that Fallout 4 might be another (smaller) leap, as it'll be the first sort of 'big' game to go to VR. I don't know how they'll manage it, but I'm hopeful.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: March 29, 2017, 09:20:18 pm »

the first time I saw a capital ship come out of FTL on a monitor I said "Yeah that's neat" and shrugged. In VR it honestly took my breath away, and I flew around the damn thing for half an hour in a fighter just looking at it.

I've been playing PC games a long time, and when there's a big jump in graphics (first proper 3D game, first game with proper physics etc.) you go 'woah, that's awesome' because it's such a step up from previously. However I've NEVER felt a step up like I did with VR, even the jump between 2D and 3D gaming.

That's what sold it to me, and everyone I know who's used it has had the same reaction. I kinda think that Fallout 4 might be another (smaller) leap, as it'll be the first sort of 'big' game to go to VR. I don't know how they'll manage it, but I'm hopeful.

I sincerely hope they use (or at least have the option for) the 'jogging in place' control scheme for movement. The average weight of gamers will drop by about thirty pounds.

Hell, play survival mode and your character's thirst gauge will probably be a fairly realistic depiction of when you personally need to get a drink.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: March 29, 2017, 09:25:13 pm »

I think that games are going to stick with teleportation for movement, as it's the only way so far that doesn't make you feel very sick.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: March 29, 2017, 09:34:26 pm »

I think that games are going to stick with teleportation for movement, as it's the only way so far that doesn't make you feel very sick.

There are ways around it... and apparently you can get used to it.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: March 29, 2017, 09:50:32 pm »

I don't think so. My personal theory is that they're going to add some sort of a face to your character they you can look out of. One, rather hideously clunky, method of preventing the motion sickness is to have a cage around the player's head. It looks awful, feels awful, and is awful. However, it does imply that a similar, more immersive method, might work. If, for instance, the player wwas apply to see their character's nose (in much the same way you can see your own nose, I.E, you can but never notice), that might help. Also, being able to see the interior of your headgear might help- similar to what project NEVADA did in New Vegas.

Also, some people just aren't effected. I'm happily among them, and I think it's one of those things that will improve over time.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: March 29, 2017, 10:54:33 pm »

Another is a sort of Theater mode.
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 462